Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to useLinux! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to useLinux! - Linux ; Ruben wrote: > OK > > I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know, > when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't > use command like ...

  1. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to useLinux!

    Ruben wrote:
    > OK
    >
    > I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know,
    > when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't
    > use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't
    > have a command like
    > find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \;
    >
    > which would have deleted ALL the spyware files.
    >

    > I was forced to do something like this
    >
    > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html

    What's scary is how DEEP within it is broken. It's almost spooky
    listening to someone explain the dark tunnels of MS hidden code and
    what's going on deep inside.

    It's creeping degredation.

    It will NEVER be repaired. Only globs of strong epoxy paint every year
    or so hold it all together.

  2. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:05:26 -0700, ~flyer~ wrote:

    > Ruben wrote:
    >> OK
    >>
    >> I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know,
    >> when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't
    >> use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't
    >> have a command like
    >> find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \;
    >>
    >> which would have deleted ALL the spyware files.
    >>

    >> I was forced to do something like this
    >>
    >> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html
    >>

    > What's scary is how DEEP within it is broken. It's almost spooky
    > listening to someone explain the dark tunnels of MS hidden code and
    > what's going on deep inside.
    >
    > It's creeping degredation.
    >
    > It will NEVER be repaired. Only globs of strong epoxy paint every year
    > or so hold it all together.

    It's just so god damn broken. Every week I used to have a client ask me
    to fix his mail and I had to spend hours just finding the clients files
    for the mail text. It just seems to arbitrarily put things around the
    damn file system, which itself is such a cludge.

    C:
    D:
    MY COMPUTER

    CRAP

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  3. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:05:26 -0700, ~flyer~ wrote:

    > What's scary is how DEEP within it is broken.

    BTW - did you ever study the Assembler level issues with the MS system.
    It's so mind numbing that its fair to say that nobody at MS can predict
    what the OS is actually doing at any moment on the CPU and in the mapping
    for ram.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  4. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to useLinux!

    Ruben wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:05:26 -0700, ~flyer~ wrote:
    >
    >> What's scary is how DEEP within it is broken.

    > BTW - did you ever study the Assembler level issues with the MS system.
    > It's so mind numbing that its fair to say that nobody at MS can predict
    > what the OS is actually doing at any moment on the CPU and in the mapping
    > for ram.
    >
    > Ruben

    I'm not a programmer. But I have some genius friends who know how to
    construct an analogy.

    A good percent of MS code is labelled "Hoped Will Not Explode, Erode
    This Year."

    Bunch of weak, stolen, glued, crap garbage from a bunch of mediocre
    monkeys hiding their droppings in holes.

  5. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    ~flyer~ wrote:

    > I'm not a programmer. But I have some genius friends who know how to
    > construct an analogy.

    Better get 'em online to help you - you're not doing too well.

    > A good percent of MS code is labelled "Hoped Will Not Explode, Erode
    > This Year."

    What percent?

    > Bunch of weak, stolen, glued, crap garbage from a bunch of mediocre
    > monkeys hiding their droppings in holes.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 525,000 for Linux freezes up
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,080,000 for Linux locks up
    Results 1 - 10 of about 356,000 for Linux hangs
    Results 1 - 10 of about 439,000 for Linux crashes
    Results 1 - 10 of about 399,000 for Linux crashed
    Results 1 - 10 of about 678,000 for Linux quits working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,690,000 for Linux simply quit working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,110,000 for Linux stopped working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,980,000 for Linux just stops working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 114,000 for Linux wireless quit working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 78,300 for Compiz quit working.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 65,700 for Compiz freezes up.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 221,000 for Linux developers quit working

    Linux has now gotten so bad it makes its users rant in anger and rage:
    "I don't even have a stable system and i haven't had one since gutsy!
    Sometimes i just want to take my computer outside and smash it with a
    sledgehammer until little shards of metal cut my hands and face open."
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=50

    Linux embarrasses its advocates:
    "Ubuntu sells itself as being ready for the casual user....I know I wrote a
    post on a general computer site saying Ubuntu 7.10 was ready for prime time.
    Man was I wrong."
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=46

    Linux/OSS jerks discriminate heavily against women:
    http://lonien.de/wjl/images/jpg/p200602260034.jpg

    Add it all up and Linux is just "A NIGHTMARE !!!"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=60

  6. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    Ruben wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:05:26 -0700, ~flyer~ wrote:
    >
    >> What's scary is how DEEP within it is broken.

    > BTW - did you ever study the Assembler level issues with the MS
    > system. It's so mind numbing that its fair to say that nobody at MS
    > can predict what the OS is actually doing at any moment on the CPU
    > and in the mapping for ram.

    Let me know when Windows reports this kind of dirtware issue:

    "...when I have a look in the System Monitor today I see strange-huge memory
    usage by some processes, like 17179869180.0 GB"

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

  7. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    can i just point out, even if windows did have some major issues, we,
    the users, would never hear about it.

    the only reason you can get all those results about 'omfg, linux
    crash' is that linux users actually CAN talk about their issues and
    have them resolved, and as such have not given up on communicating
    with the developers.

    anyway, why does it matter? people should try linux, windows, unix,
    mac and anything else they can before settling down, and even then
    they should keep checking out the other options for what suits them
    best.
    the reason i like linux is that there are many different versions, aka
    distros, that suit a large range of different needs, ie. dsl for a
    really old box, fedora or opensuse for flashiness, or plain out deb
    for some basic functionality.

  8. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    rbchinchen@gmail.com wrote:

    > the reason i like linux is that there are many different versions, aka
    > distros, that suit a large range of different needs, ie. dsl for a
    > really old box, fedora or opensuse for flashiness, or plain out deb
    > for some basic functionality.

    Yeah, me too. For some reason *choice* seems to scare the bejabbers out of
    WinTrolls, though.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    RonB writes:

    > rbchinchen@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> the reason i like linux is that there are many different versions, aka
    >> distros, that suit a large range of different needs, ie. dsl for a
    >> really old box, fedora or opensuse for flashiness, or plain out deb
    >> for some basic functionality.

    > Yeah, me too. For some reason *choice* seems to scare the bejabbers out of
    > WinTrolls, though.

    What a load of nonsense.

    There's nothing Fedora can do that debian can not be configured to do in
    a few minutes. its just more effort dilution and confusion for the end
    customer.

  10. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Tue, 06 May 2008 12:08:16 +0200
    :
    > RonB writes:
    >
    >> rbchinchen@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> the reason i like linux is that there are many different versions, aka
    >>> distros, that suit a large range of different needs, ie. dsl for a
    >>> really old box, fedora or opensuse for flashiness, or plain out deb
    >>> for some basic functionality.

    >> Yeah, me too. For some reason *choice* seems to scare the bejabbers out of
    >> WinTrolls, though.

    > What a load of nonsense.
    >
    > There's nothing Fedora can do that debian can not be configured to do in
    > a few minutes. its just more effort dilution and confusion for the end
    > customer.

    Exactly. Best to just choose Windows Vista Ultimate in
    the first place. You know you want to.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  11. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> its just more effort dilution and confusion for the end
    >> customer.

    >Exactly. Best to just choose Windows Vista Ultimate in
    >the first place. You know you want to.

    Is the Quack troll still whining, pouting, and stomping is little feet
    over the plethora of choice in the OSS world? Something that, by
    definition, cannot be altered, even if one wanted to?

    Wow, that a waste of a life.

    --
    "There is more truth in one of them than you and your COLA gang." -
    "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark, defending the group of DFS,

  12. Re: Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Tue, 06 May 2008 12:23:35 -0500
    <7p4124t5gm01ncvqg8klhgqrts07bitbnm@4ax.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>> its just more effort dilution and confusion for the end
    >>> customer.

    >>Exactly. Best to just choose Windows Vista Ultimate in
    >>the first place. You know you want to.

    > Is the Quack troll still whining, pouting, and stomping is little feet
    > over the plethora of choice in the OSS world? Something that, by
    > definition, cannot be altered, even if one wanted to?
    >
    > Wow, that a waste of a life.

    I'll admit I can think of larger worries. 500+ distros,
    each one built around Linux (and many of them derived from
    other distros -- I'd have to dig regarding the actual
    derivation tree, and that would take a fair amount of
    work unless someone else already has it, but e.g. Sabayon
    is a Gentoo derivative, and a lot of distros use Debian
    for a basis), appears not to be that big of a worry,
    especially if one looks at the pecking order at sites such
    as distrowatch.com .

    Lessee....
    #1 is currently Ubuntu,
    #2 PcLinuxOS,
    #3 openSUSE,
    #4 Fedora,
    #5 Mint,
    #6 Mandriva,
    #7 Debian,
    #8 Sabayon,
    #9 DSL,
    #10 Dreamlinux,
    #11 FreeBSD (which isn't Linux but it *is* a distro),
    #12 MEPIS.
    #13 CentOS.

    (For its part Gentoo is currently #16. Not bad,
    considering it's more than 4 years old. I'll have to try
    Sabayon again. Anyone got any spare round tuits? :-) )

    The rankings are inexact (they are based on page hits),
    of course, but what can one do? Choice does have a cost
    (one has to choose!) but it also has many benefits (for
    starters, it keeps everyone more honest :-) ).

    Now, if one wants to dig for more obscure variants, Momonga
    is #135, DNALinux is #277, GNIX #315, and EduLinux #353,
    picking and choosing things more or less at random. So?

    And of course Hadron has yet to indicate, at least to me,
    how much choice is too much; even with Windows one has a
    choice of 8-10 "distros" (which they term "editions"):

    Ultimate
    Home Premium
    Home Basic
    Business
    Enterprise
    Starter (non-US only)
    Home N (EU only)
    Business N (EU only)
    Small Business (?)
    Small Business N (?)

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...a_editions.asp
    mentions "Small Business" but
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
    does not. To be fair, the latter does not mention the "N"
    editions or Starter, either. Color me confused already.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;