Stop Using Windows, Use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a world food crisis right now, as we all know it. Man's most basic
| need is low on supply but high in demand. This recent global predicament may
| not be felt that much in highly developed countries like the US and Japan,
| but developing country like ours and underdeveloped countries like most of
| Africa are struggling for survival.
|
| [...]
|
| There are actually plenty of ways to make Linux adoption in this country a
| lot easier without having to spend big. We even have our own Linux distro
| named Bayanihan Linux that makes technical support and resources within our
| reach. If only our government leaders know how to make proper use of what we
| have, things could change.
|
| I know that my recommended solution if implemented cannot instantaneously
| solve the present crisis that we as well as other poor nations are
| experiencing. And I believe that there are still a lot of rational methods
| that could help solve this issue. However, I would like to insist that if we
| stop using Windows now and start using Linux, we could make a considerable
| difference for tomorrow.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/05/stop-...g-windows.html

Related:

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.
`----

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...?track=tottext

Why piracy kills Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Because for them, the price is the same.
|
| So, please, Microsoft, defend your own products, and don't allow users to
| use pirated versions. You'll be doing the best for the Open Source
| products.
`----

http://youmaybeinterrupting.com/desk...s%2FBlog%3B%3B

Piracy of software, and why it helps software companies

,----[ Quote ]
| I recall something that Bill Gates said about the issue of piracy
| of Windows 98 a few years back. The piracy situation was pretty
| bad in South-East Asia (and the rest of the world) and he did
| not seem to mind. I can't remember the exact quote, but it was
| something to the effect of "I don't mind them using my software
| for free as long as they are using it. I understand they cannot
| afford the price, especially in this part of the world."
`----

http://blog.jeffkee.com/2007/02/14/p...are-companies/

Average Indian person just gets a copy of pirated Windows instead of a free
and legal copy of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Linux's compelling features is the cost; Linux is free.
| However, as far as the average Indian person is concerned, there
| is no difference in cost between Linux and Windows, since he gets
| a copy of pirated Windows instead of an authorized and legal
| copy of Windows anyway..
`----

http://www.webpublishingforum.com/about965.html

Chinese attitude on buying Vista