Which distro is best for laptops? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which distro is best for laptops? - Linux ; Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops - specifically Acer laptops. Thanks! jim...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Which distro is best for laptops?

    Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    specifically Acer laptops.

    Thanks!

    jim

  2. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    "jim" writes:

    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > specifically Acer laptops.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jim

    Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    and not on their laptops. Most use Windows during the day. You're far
    better off asking in ##Linux on irc freenode or in the general linux
    newsgroup.

    FWIW, I use Debian Lenny on my thinkpad x30 and except for
    hibernation/suspend and the need to change the wireless card it works
    fine. I even installed the entire thing encrypted.

    The question you should be asking is: what HW is used in the laptop
    (its probably only the wireless and the magic buttons you need worry
    about) and ask about that HW specifically. A laptop is the sum of the
    parts.

  3. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On May 4, 6:43 am, Hadron wrote:
    > "jim" writes:
    > > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > > specifically Acer laptops.

    > Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    > and not on their laptops.

    You know this how?

    Although I'm inclined to agree - clearly most of the "advocates" here
    don't actually use to any extend the products they are talking about,
    on either side of the LINUX or Windows isle. Most of the stuff posted
    here is total crap or political rhetoric.

  4. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On May 4, 3:54 am, "jim" wrote:
    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > specifically Acer laptops.

    We use openSUSE on Acer and Toshiba laptops; IMO openSUSE has the
    best out-of-the-box functionality and hardware compatibility.

  5. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    whitemice writes:

    > On May 4, 6:43 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> "jim" writes:
    >> > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> > specifically Acer laptops.

    >> Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    >> and not on their laptops.

    > You know this how?

    You then go on to answer your own question ....

    --
    < nobse> bleh... last night I had a dream... someone NMU'ed vim...
    nightmare

  6. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 03:54:16 -0400, jim wrote:

    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops
    > - specifically Acer laptops.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jim

    Mine, of course! The best distro for anything is the one I use - if any
    other one were better, I'd use it!

  7. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    jim wrote:

    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > specifically Acer laptops.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jim

    You may just have to suck it and see. As an example, I find that Ubuntu 8.04
    works really well on my Tecra M3. On the other hand, my son has a Dell
    Vostro 1500 and the hardware support by Ubuntu was terrible. He is now
    using OpenSUSE 10.3 and it runs perfectly.

    The point here is that you may have to try a few different distros to see
    which one works best on your hardware. In the end, the problem is that the
    laptop manufacturers are not yet providing Linux drivers for their
    hardware. I look forward to the day when that happens.

    Ian

  8. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:13:52 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jim

    > You may just have to suck it and see. As an example, I find that Ubuntu 8.04
    > works really well on my Tecra M3. On the other hand, my son has a Dell
    > Vostro 1500 and the hardware support by Ubuntu was terrible. He is now
    > using OpenSUSE 10.3 and it runs perfectly.
    >
    > The point here is that you may have to try a few different distros to see
    > which one works best on your hardware. In the end, the problem is that the
    > laptop manufacturers are not yet providing Linux drivers for their
    > hardware. I look forward to the day when that happens.
    >
    > Ian

    The Linux distribution dance shifts into high gear when laptops are being
    considered.

    Oh well, with 600+ different versions of Linux, and growing by the day,
    chances are he can find one that works with his hardware.

    Maybe........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On May 4, 3:54 am, "jim" wrote:
    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > specifically Acer laptops.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > jim

    Your really better of not asking a technical question here.
    Everything posted here becomes fodder for paid and professional trolls
    who are on the payrolls of Microsoft and the RIAA.

    Either use the alternate technical groups like comp.os.linux.misc or
    even one of the laptop forums. Check to see if a local user group is
    in your area and join an installfest.

    For what it is worth, I'd traditionly used SuSE for laptops because it
    had the broadest driver support. However, I'm more reluctant since
    the Novell/Microsoft deal. I object to the deal, but more partically,
    a lot of their engineers quit after the icrosoft contamination.

    There is advantages of a apt-get based system as well, like Ubutua.

    Good Luck and you can email personally if you'd like to discuss this
    further.

    ruben@mrbrklyn.com

  11. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Rube wrote:

    > For what it is worth, I'd traditionly used SuSE for laptops because it
    > had the broadest driver support. However, I'm more reluctant since
    > the Novell/Microsoft deal. I object to the deal, but more partically,
    > a lot of their engineers quit after the icrosoft contamination.

    traditionly = traditionally
    partically = particularly

    > There is advantages of a apt-get based system as well, like Ubutua.

    is advantages of = are advantages to
    a apt-get = an apt-get
    Ubutua = Ubuntu

    You're definitely the slow one in your family, Rube.

  12. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    mrbrklyn writes:

    > On May 4, 3:54 am, "jim" wrote:
    >> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jim

    > Your really better of not asking a technical question here.

    Technical? Oh dear me.

    > Everything posted here becomes fodder for paid and professional trolls
    > who are on the payrolls of Microsoft and the RIAA.

    What experience do you have Jim? Maybe YOU can help? I notice that my
    earlier comments were on the ball. There are no COLA "advocates" giving
    advice about Laptops bar one.

    > Either use the alternate technical groups like comp.os.linux.misc or
    > even one of the laptop forums. Check to see if a local user group is
    > in your area and join an installfest.

    Installfest!??!?!?! Ye gods. Don't forget to take something to block up
    your nose and wear rubber gloves.

    > For what it is worth, I'd traditionly used SuSE for laptops because it
    > had the broadest driver support. However, I'm more reluctant since

    Why does it? Surely these drivers should be in ALL distros?

    > the Novell/Microsoft deal. I object to the deal, but more partically,
    > a lot of their engineers quit after the icrosoft contamination.
    >
    > There is advantages of a apt-get based system as well, like Ubutua.

    Ubutua? Never heard of it.

    > Good Luck and you can email personally if you'd like to discuss this
    > further.
    >
    > ruben@mrbrklyn.com

    You know jack about Linux and even less about laptops.

  13. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Hadron writes:

    > mrbrklyn writes:
    >
    >> On May 4, 3:54 am, "jim" wrote:
    >>> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >>> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> jim

    >> Your really better of not asking a technical question here.

    > Technical? Oh dear me.
    >
    >> Everything posted here becomes fodder for paid and professional trolls
    >> who are on the payrolls of Microsoft and the RIAA.

    > What experience do you have Jim? Maybe YOU can help? I notice that my

    Apologies to Jim. I was of course referring to HPT's retarded twin
    "Rube".

  14. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Quack quacked impotently:

    > Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    > and not on their laptops. Most use Windows during the day.

    Another garbage post from one of the most useless, lying, trolling pieces of
    human excrement to ever infest COLA.

    Too bad your mother didn't know of uses for a coathanger other than for
    hanging up clothes.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Just as easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169

    Good to the last supper

  15. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    "whitemice" wrote in message
    > On May 4, 3:54 am, "jim" wrote:
    >> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> specifically Acer laptops.

    > We use openSUSE on Acer and Toshiba laptops; IMO openSUSE has the
    > best out-of-the-box functionality and hardware compatibility.

    Thanks! I'll give it a go if Ubuntu doesn't work well.

    jim

  16. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:25:16 -0400, jim wrote:

    > Why don't hardware
    > providers simply open source their drivers?

    They are stepping on eachothers patents and copyrighted firmware. Crazy
    as it is, especially with regard to Video Cards and WIFI

    Don Marti is the expert on this topic.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  17. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    > Your really better of not asking a technical question here.
    > Everything posted here becomes fodder for paid and professional trolls
    > who are on the payrolls of Microsoft and the RIAA.

    If anyone is getting paid for the swill posted to this newsgroup I'd
    be stunned. Most everything here is manic bordering on crazed.
    Anyone who thinks this forum is filled with paid shills has a
    persecution complex. No way that any reasonable person (or
    corporation) cares at all what is posted here. Woe to the newbie who
    comes here thinking they can get useful information or advice.

  18. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:41:06 -0700, whitemice wrote:

    > If anyone is getting paid for the swill posted to this newsgroup I'd
    > be stunned.

    Either that or paid...
    Microsoft paying people to troll. Imagine that.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  19. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Verily I say unto thee, that jim spake thusly:

    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for
    > laptops - specifically Acer laptops.

    I've run Fedora on my Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi since FC5, now running
    Fedora 8 x86_64 quite happily. Graphics, audio, bluetooth, PCMCIA, DVD,
    hibernate/suspend, USB, ext VGA, and LAN all just work.

    Wi-Fi requires running bcm43xx-fwcutter, but that's the only hoop to
    jump through, and that's common for all distros.

    If it comes preinstalled with Windows, and you wish to preserve the
    factory default settings, in case you need to return the machine for
    repairs, make sure you back up the MBR before you install GRUB, because
    Acer uses a proprietary bootloader that you will not be able to restore
    later.

    dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.dd.img count=1 bs=512

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:57:50 up 136 days, 1:33, 6 users, load average: 0.12, 0.04, 0.01

  20. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    whitemice wrote:

    > If anyone is getting paid for the swill posted to this newsgroup I'd
    > be stunned. Most everything here is manic bordering on crazed.

    Exactly.

    > Anyone who thinks this forum is filled with paid shills has a
    > persecution complex.

    And guess who continually thinks and says that?

    > No way that any reasonable person (or
    > corporation) cares at all what is posted here. Woe to the newbie who
    > comes here thinking they can get useful information or advice.

    Newbs should go to the Linux forums for the best advice on what they're in
    store for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast