Which distro is best for laptops? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which distro is best for laptops? - Linux ; On Sun, 04 May 2008 13:36:35 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote: > Quack quacked impotently: > >> Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home >> and not on their laptops. Most use Windows during ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 13:36:35 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Quack quacked impotently:
    >
    >> Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    >> and not on their laptops. Most use Windows during the day.

    > Another garbage post from one of the most useless, lying, trolling pieces
    > of human excrement to ever infest COLA.
    >
    > Too bad your mother didn't know of uses for a coathanger other than for
    > hanging up clothes.

    If he'd come out of a hole 2" further forward, he *could* have been a
    human being.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  2. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    whitemice wrote:

    > Woe to the newbie who
    > comes here thinking they can get useful information or advice.

    So you'll be leaving, then...
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    .... Love is the dance of eternity

    Good to the last supper

  3. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    William Poaster wrote:

    > If he'd come out of a hole 2" further forward, he *could* have been a
    > human being.

    LOL
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    .... Love is the dance of eternity

    Good to the last supper

  4. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    >Hadron quacked:
    >
    >> More proof of distro hell.

    It's not "hell" to download and burn a few Live CD's and try them,
    fsckwit.

  5. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:20:27 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >>Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >>> More proof of distro hell.

    > It's not "hell" to download and burn a few Live CD's and try them,
    > fsckwit.

    More proof of Quack's inanity, & insignificance.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  6. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Sun, 04 May 2008 12:43:13 +0200
    :
    > "jim" writes:
    >
    >> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jim
    >>

    > Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    > and not on their laptops.

    Hello! nx9010 here, running Gentoo.

    :-P~

    > Most use Windows during the day.

    I've gone weeks without having to fire that crap up.
    The only reason I do so nowadays is for VSS, and that only
    because there's something buggy in Wine that VSS doesn't
    like -- and I think that's since been resolved.

    I'll probably still need to fire it up every 3 months
    to change my password, but that's about it.

    > You're far
    > better off asking in ##Linux on irc freenode or in the general linux
    > newsgroup.

    Which is ... ?

    Teranews gives me these names (from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo):

    comp.os.linux
    comp.os.linux.admin
    comp.os.linux.advocacy
    comp.os.linux.advocasy
    comp.os.linux.alpha
    comp.os.linux.announce
    comp.os.linux.answers
    comp.os.linux.development
    comp.os.linux.development.apps
    comp.os.linux.development.system
    comp.os.linux.embedded
    comp.os.linux.hardawe
    comp.os.linux.hardware
    comp.os.linux.help
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.network
    comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.questions
    comp.os.linux.redhat
    comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.suse
    comp.os.linux.test
    comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.x.video
    comp.os.linux.xbox

    .... and that's just for the comp.*; there's de.*, nl.*, and
    han.* as well as a lot of other variants.

    > FWIW, I use Debian Lenny on my thinkpad x30 and except for
    > hibernation/suspend and the need to change the wireless card it works
    > fine. I even installed the entire thing encrypted.

    My wireless system worked fine as is, but maybe that's
    the luck of the draw; laptops are a little weird that way.
    I'm still working on hibernate/suspend as well, though it
    does show signs of trying to function.

    > The question you should be asking is: what HW is used in the laptop
    > (its probably only the wireless and the magic buttons you need worry
    > about) and ask about that HW specifically. A laptop is the sum of the
    > parts.

    And sometimes they work together. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  7. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    On 2008-05-04, Hadron wrote:
    > "jim" writes:
    >
    >> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> jim
    >>

    > Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    > and not on their laptops. Most use Windows during the day. You're far

    [deletia]

    I've had Debian and Ubuntu on a number of Dells and Vaios with
    considerable success. I was able to use the onboard wifi on the
    models that had it but this is going to depend on what your specific
    hardware is.

    Really, you only need to treat the laptop as a desktop with a
    particular set of hardware. The individual components you have will
    ultimately determine how well things will work out for you. The
    differences between the distros will be relatively minor next to this.

    You've got to take it a machine at a time.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> It's not "hell" to download and burn a few Live CD's and try them,
    >> fsckwit.

    > It is for Hadron because it takes time away from his planning and
    > implementation of the Quack Central Distro Approval Committee.

    I guess so. I mean, the fsckwit clearly prefers the Windows situation,
    where you're told, essentially, "this is what you'll use and this is what
    it will cost you".

    Apparently that's better than trying a few of the top distros on LiveCD's
    and then choosing which one suits you best.

    Amazing.

  9. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    In article ,
    "jim" wrote:

    > Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    > specifically Acer laptops.

    This won't directly answer your question, but might point you in a way
    that can help you find the answer. Laptops are often not made by the
    company whose name is on them. I *think* Acer is one of the companies
    that does make many (most? all?) of their own laptop, but I *think* they
    also manufacture them for some other companies, too.

    If you can find out if the Acer models you are interested in are also
    sold under other vendor's names, then you can widen your search, and
    look for reviews of drivers for those other laptops, and have a very
    good chance they will apply to the corresponding Acers.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 04 May 2008 12:43:13 +0200
    > :
    >> "jim" writes:
    >>
    >>> Mainly I am asking which distro has the best driver support for laptops -
    >>> specifically Acer laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> jim
    >>>

    >> Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    >> and not on their laptops.

    > Hello! nx9010 here, running Gentoo.

    "most"

    > :-P~
    >
    >> Most use Windows during the day.

    > I've gone weeks without having to fire that crap up.

    "most"

    You're becoming a bit of a "works for me" nut job Ghost. Get a grip.

  11. Re: Which distro is best for laptops?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Tue, 06 May 2008 10:26:38 +0200
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sun, 04 May 2008 12:43:13 +0200
    >> :

    >>> Why are you asking here? Most of the advocates use Linux only at home
    >>> and not on their laptops.

    >> Hello! nx9010 here, running Gentoo.

    > "most"
    >

    >> :-P~
    >>
    >>> Most use Windows during the day.

    >> I've gone weeks without having to fire that crap up.

    > "most"
    >
    > You're becoming a bit of a "works for me" nut job Ghost. Get a grip.

    But you can't deny it works for me. To be fair, what works
    for me probably won't work for you; I write XSL with one
    hand, know the basics of CSS (and have a copy of the specs
    handy), and edit [X]HTML and raw SVG to make diagrams. I have
    an adaptation (somewhere) of an old SGML format IBM developed
    as well.

    I even know data URLs. Not many have heard of them,
    but they're a kludgy but handy workaround, and do solve
    the problem of embedding pictures in an XML document.
    (The main drawback: if one needs 5 copies of a single
    picture in a document one needs to replicate the entire
    URL 5 times -- a problem if the picture is big.)

    Most others will probably use MS Office and Visio to
    achieve similar effects, of lesser quality (MS Office is
    renowned for putting a lot of goop in its HTML; I have no
    idea what Visio will do if asked to produce SVG, though it
    probably can generate Windows metafile output well enough;
    I've yet to see any tool that truly understands CSS, though
    Visual Studio Interdev does try).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2