Happy Easter Vista Users! - Linux

This is a discussion on Happy Easter Vista Users! - Linux ; Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy Easter http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/ http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Happy Easter Vista Users!

    Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy
    Easter
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/
    http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html

  2. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    mrbrklyn wrote:

    > Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy
    > Easter
    > http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/
    > http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html

    Amazing... They can't fix the code they generate, but yet they have the
    spare time to add in this garbage... No wonder windows, a proprietary and
    costly OS, is so bug ridden...
    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:28:35 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > mrbrklyn wrote:
    >
    >> Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy
    >> Easter
    >> http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/
    >> http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html

    > Amazing... They can't fix the code they generate, but yet they have the
    > spare time to add in this garbage... No wonder windows, a proprietary and
    > costly OS, is so bug ridden...

    Ahh.. another person who has no idea of how software is developed at a
    large company, yet feels he must comment on it anyways.

    Your comment reminds me of the people blasting the IE7 team because they
    introduced a new icon, saying things like "You have time to work on new
    icons but not standards conformance", ignoring the fact that the people
    that design icons are not the people that write code. What did they
    expect? A graphics artist to start coding CSS implementations?

    Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    just prove how little you know.

  4. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On 2008-05-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:

    > Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    > on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    > just prove how little you know.

    Once they successfully code an easter egg and all its worthlessness,
    that proves their qualifications to work on the core OS?

    If so, that says a lot about why things are as they are.

    Now, another question. You, who claim to have no official ties to
    Monopoly©, seem to know a lot about the internal structure,
    assignments, etc. How do those things jibe?

    --
    They say if you play the Windows Vista DVD backward you'll hear satanic
    messages. But even scarier, if you play it forward it installs Windows

  5. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Sun, 4 May 2008 13:08:40 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-05-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    >
    >> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    >> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    >> just prove how little you know.

    > Once they successfully code an easter egg and all its worthlessness,
    > that proves their qualifications to work on the core OS?

    No. I didn't say anything close to that. I'm just saying that the people
    doing easter eggs are not people that are contributing to the regular code
    base.

    > Now, another question. You, who claim to have no official ties to
    > Monopoly©, seem to know a lot about the internal structure,
    > assignments, etc. How do those things jibe?

    I know nothing of the internals of Microsoft. But, i've worked for a dozen
    different large software companies (500+ developers) and this is pretty
    standard.

  6. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > On 2008-05-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    >
    >> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    >> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    >> just prove how little you know.

    > Once they successfully code an easter egg and all its worthlessness,
    > that proves their qualifications to work on the core OS?

    Err generally yes. They find their way around the code and learn about
    the entry/exit points and the resource managers etc. Pretty trivial for
    anyone with a clue of course so I guess you won't know anything about
    it.

    > If so, that says a lot about why things are as they are.
    >
    > Now, another question. You, who claim to have no official ties to
    > Monopoly©, seem to know a lot about the internal structure,
    > assignments, etc. How do those things jibe?

    Because most companies are the same? You give bug fixing on certain
    priorites to new boys and then have their proposals vetted before being
    thrown back or included in the product. Debugging code is one oft he
    best ways of learning it. Ditto for such novelties as eggs.

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  7. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On May 4, 12:28 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > mrbrklyn wrote:
    > > Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy
    > > Easter
    > >http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/
    > >http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html

    > Amazing... They can't fix the code they generate, but yet they have the
    > spare time to add in this garbage... No wonder windows, a proprietary and
    > costly OS, is so bug ridden...
    > --
    >
    > Jerry McBride (jmcbr...@mail-on.us)

    How can they fix it. It has over 50,000,000 lines of useless code and
    50 layers of dependencies and it still can't run X11 or prevent
    spyware from attacking the box.
    Coders build easter eggs? That's a computer security problem, not a
    real security problem like when they fire someone for taking pictures
    of the MAC boxes being
    delivered.

    Ruben

  8. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On May 4, 1:37 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:28:35 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > > mrbrklyn wrote:

    > >> Oh so entertaining is closed secret DRM infested software! Happy
    > >> Easter
    > >>http://www.metacafe.com/watch/614117..._egg_revealed/
    > >>http://www.eeggs.com/tree/11156.html

    > > Amazing... They can't fix the code they generate, but yet they have the
    > > spare time to add in this garbage... No wonder windows, a proprietary and
    > > costly OS, is so bug ridden...

    > Ahh.. another person who has no idea of how software is developed at a
    > large company, yet feels he must comment on it anyways.
    >
    > Your comment reminds me of the people blasting the IE7 team because they
    > introduced a new icon, saying things like "You have time to work on new
    > icons but not standards conformance", ignoring the fact that the people
    > that design icons are not the people that write code. What did they
    > expect? A graphics artist to start coding CSS implementations?
    >
    > Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    > on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    > just prove how little you know.

    Oh - how stupid we must be! Instead of teaching them to really code
    they ALLOW easter eggs as practice runs in case, I don't know, so that
    they can build better spyware for Kaazar or Gator in in 6 months.

    What idiots these trolls are.

    Ruben

  9. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On May 4, 3:07 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 4 May 2008 13:08:40 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    > > On 2008-05-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:

    > >> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    > >> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    > >> just prove how little you know.

    > > Once they successfully code an easter egg and all its worthlessness,
    > > that proves their qualifications to work on the core OS?

    > No. I didn't say anything close to that.

    Yes you did you ****en in a bush lier.

    Ruben

  10. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On May 4, 3:40 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > Sinister Midget writes:
    > > On 2008-05-04, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:

    > >> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    > >> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    > >> just prove how little you know.

    > > Once they successfully code an easter egg and all its worthlessness,
    > > that proves their qualifications to work on the core OS?

    > Err generally yes. They find their way around the code and learn about
    > the entry/exit points and the resource managers etc. Pretty trivial for
    > anyone with a clue of course so I guess you won't know anything about
    > it.

    Sure, Microsoft loves them:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Heres the Easter Egg: On MS-DOS 2.0 (only), if you hit CTRL-R at the Y/N prompt, it would print out the string helped with the new DOS, Microsoft Rules!

    To my knowledge, nobody ever figured out how to get access to this
    particular easter egg, although I do remember Peter Norton writing a
    column about it in PC-WEEK (he found the text of the easter egg by
    running strings on the recover.com binary).

    Nowadays, adding an easter egg to a Microsoft OS is immediate grounds
    for termination, so its highly unlikely youll ever see another
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    .
    > > If so, that says a lot about why things are as they are.

    > > Now, another question. You, who claim to have no official ties to
    > > Monopoly©, seem to know a lot about the internal structure,
    > > assignments, etc. How do those things jibe?

    > Because most companies are the same? You give bug fixing on certain
    > priorites to new boys and then have their proposals vetted before being
    > thrown back or included in the product. Debugging code is one oft he
    > best ways of learning it. Ditto for such novelties as eggs.

    Not my company. That is unauthorized use of computer equipment and
    you would be fired.

    Pffff

  11. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    mr****tard wrote:

    > Coders build easter eggs? That's a computer security problem, not a
    > real security problem like when they fire someone for taking pictures
    > of the MAC boxes being
    > delivered.

    jung:/home/gary/dlds# apt-get moo
    (__)
    (oo)
    /------\/
    / | ||
    * /\---/\
    ~~ ~~
    ....."Have you mooed today?"...

    "aptitude -vvvvv moo" is another.

    Please **** off Ruby.

  12. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:37:55 -0500, James wrote:

    > Please **** off Ruby.

    Oh GOOD ONE!

    Nobody has called me Ruby since my mother died over 20 years ago!

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  13. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society Convention, 1977

  14. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:01:45 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 May 2008 13:37:11 -0400,
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> Amazing... They can't fix the code they generate, but yet they have the
    >>> spare time to add in this garbage... No wonder windows, a proprietary and
    >>> costly OS, is so bug ridden...

    >> Ahh.. another person who has no idea of how software is developed at a
    >> large company, yet feels he must comment on it anyways.
    >>
    >> Your comment reminds me of the people blasting the IE7 team because they
    >> introduced a new icon, saying things like "You have time to work on new
    >> icons but not standards conformance", ignoring the fact that the people
    >> that design icons are not the people that write code. What did they
    >> expect? A graphics artist to start coding CSS implementations?
    >>
    >> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    >> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    >> just prove how little you know.

    > Reading the above, and remembering Erik and Hadron ranting about
    > "wasting time and resources" on different Distro's brings a chuckle
    > every time.

    It shouldn't. It's two different arguments.

    There's a difference between complaining about multiple people writing
    different code to do the exact same thing and complaining because people
    who can't do something are doing something else.

  15. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 16:27:26 -0400,
    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:01:45 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    >> On Sun, 4 May 2008 13:37:11 -0400,
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> Ahh.. another person who has no idea of how software is developed at a
    >>> large company, yet feels he must comment on it anyways.
    >>>
    >>> Your comment reminds me of the people blasting the IE7 team because they
    >>> introduced a new icon, saying things like "You have time to work on new
    >>> icons but not standards conformance", ignoring the fact that the people
    >>> that design icons are not the people that write code. What did they
    >>> expect? A graphics artist to start coding CSS implementations?
    >>>
    >>> Likewise, easter eggs are typically given to new hires, or interns to work
    >>> on. These are not people writing the core code. So comments like yours
    >>> just prove how little you know.

    >> Reading the above, and remembering Erik and Hadron ranting about
    >> "wasting time and resources" on different Distro's brings a chuckle
    >> every time.

    > It shouldn't. It's two different arguments.
    >
    > There's a difference between complaining about multiple people writing
    > different code to do the exact same thing and complaining because people
    > who can't do something are doing something else.

    Which of course means you will be suggesting that MS drop the office
    suite, since there are several other options for such software out
    there.

    After all, it would be wasteful otherwise.

    "We live in the interface between radioactive molten rock and hard
    vacuum and we worry about safety."
    -- A friend of Steve Vanevender

  16. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 16:13:49 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    >> There's a difference between complaining about multiple people writing
    >> different code to do the exact same thing and complaining because people
    >> who can't do something are doing something else.

    > Which of course means you will be suggesting that MS drop the office
    > suite, since there are several other options for such software out
    > there.
    >
    > After all, it would be wasteful otherwise.

    Hardly. The difference is that of competitors versus (supposedly) comrades
    (for lack of a better term).

    Competitors are forced to develop their own solution. There is no
    possibility of sharing their code with each other. Open source people
    reinvent the wheel because they want to.

  17. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On 2008-05-06, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Mon, 5 May 2008 16:13:49 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
    >
    >>> There's a difference between complaining about multiple people writing
    >>> different code to do the exact same thing and complaining because people
    >>> who can't do something are doing something else.

    >> Which of course means you will be suggesting that MS drop the office
    >> suite, since there are several other options for such software out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> After all, it would be wasteful otherwise.

    > Hardly. The difference is that of competitors versus (supposedly) comrades
    > (for lack of a better term).
    >
    > Competitors are forced to develop their own solution. There is no
    > possibility of sharing their code with each other. Open source people
    > reinvent the wheel because they want to.

    Reason enough for me to let them reinvent whenever they have a mind to.
    It's known as freedom. The freedom to recreate exactly the same thing,
    but with a few changes to make things not quite the same.

    Do you plan to lobby for new laws that ban the reinventing of the wheel
    when other options are available? At what point does it stop being a
    reinvention and become a completely new wheel?

    How much different does something need to be in order to be allowed by
    the official Linux Committee, Hadron Funkenbusch?

    --
    VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Alternatives

  18. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:54:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    >> Competitors are forced to develop their own solution. There is no
    >> possibility of sharing their code with each other. Open source people
    >> reinvent the wheel because they want to.

    > And I'm glad they do. Would my favorite multi-tabbed terminal, mrxvt,
    > have come about if its author was satisfied with the bloated offerings
    > from the GNOME and KDE teams?

    Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to refactor
    their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and people can add
    as much "bloat" as they want?

    I mean, consider how Firefox became the new Mozilla. Mozilla was, at one
    time extremly bloated, and the lightweight alternative convinced the
    mozilla team they were the better choice.

    > One more thing -- only by many implementations can the universe of
    > solutions be more thoroughly explored.

    Yes, but in the end, one or maybe two should win out... not go on for
    decades.

    > I'm finding it very fruitful,
    > for example, to refactor my simple C++ test framework, which has already
    > undergone about four variations (two in work libraries, two in my home
    > library), into plain C code, and back again into a sixth version of a
    > C++ framework, with plenty of unit-testing tossed in. What I've learned
    > from this seemingly pointless exercise only emphasizes my long belief in
    > worrying over one's code like a dog on a bone.

    In some cases that's wise, in others, a waste of time. There's a saying in
    software. "There comes a time when you must shoot the engineer".

  19. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    If only there were some indication the universe was doing it on purpose

  20. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:54:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>> Competitors are forced to develop their own solution. There is no
    >>> possibility of sharing their code with each other. Open source people
    >>> reinvent the wheel because they want to.

    >> And I'm glad they do. Would my favorite multi-tabbed terminal, mrxvt,
    >> have come about if its author was satisfied with the bloated offerings
    >> from the GNOME and KDE teams?

    > Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to refactor
    > their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and people can add
    > as much "bloat" as they want?

    Who knows? How can you know without mastering the code?

    Even then, though, you can pretty much guess that foregoing all of the
    services of GNOME/KDE will automatically make your application more
    lean.

    Plus, it can run on machines that don't install GNOME and KDE.

    For example, our little Linux "embedded" (it's actually a bit bigger
    than that ) machine doesn't install any GNOME or KDE stuff.
    We install Fluxbox. (And mrxvt!)

    > I mean, consider how Firefox became the new Mozilla. Mozilla was, at one
    > time extremly bloated, and the lightweight alternative convinced the
    > mozilla team they were the better choice.

    Not sure you want to use Firefox as an example. The latest Linux
    Journal has a User Friendly comic making fun of the amount of RAM you
    need to run Firefox.

    >> One more thing -- only by many implementations can the universe of
    >> solutions be more thoroughly explored.

    > Yes, but in the end, one or maybe two should win out... not go on for
    > decades.

    I believe Doris Day said it best:

    Que sera sera/
    Whatever will be/ Will be/

    >> I'm finding it very fruitful,
    >> for example, to refactor my simple C++ test framework, which has already
    >> undergone about four variations (two in work libraries, two in my home
    >> library), into plain C code, and back again into a sixth version of a
    >> C++ framework, with plenty of unit-testing tossed in. What I've learned
    >> from this seemingly pointless exercise only emphasizes my long belief in
    >> worrying over one's code like a dog on a bone.

    > In some cases that's wise, in others, a waste of time. There's a saying in
    > software. "There comes a time when you must shoot the engineer".

    Indeed. The care I take with home code doesn't quite fly at work.

    --
    It's possible, you can never know, that the universe exists only for me. If so,
    it's sure going well for me, I must admit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast