Happy Easter Vista Users! - Linux

This is a discussion on Happy Easter Vista Users! - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly: > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo: >> Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to >> refactor their "bloated" product into something ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to
    >> refactor their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and
    >> people can add as much "bloat" as they want?

    > Who knows? How can you know without mastering the code?

    It's funny how Fuddie's One World; One Company; New World Order vision
    of the future doesn't really seem to have helped Microsoft defeat the
    bloat and redundancy of the software made by the champion of his cause.
    But then Microsoft only champions that cause when it's *their* software.

    Why did Microsoft reinvent Java ... twice (Microsoft VM, then .NET)?

    Why did Microsoft reinvent Flash (Silverlight)?

    Why did Microsoft reinvent PDF (XPS)?

    Why did Microsoft reinvent ODF (OOXML)?

    Microsoft are the masters of reinvention (or assimilation, to put it
    less euphemistically), so I find it deeply ironic that Fuddie should
    choose to play that card. In fact it's debatable if the Vole has *ever*
    truly "invented" anything, in the commonly accepted definition of the term:

    "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products" ~ Arno
    Edelmann, Microsoft's European business security product manager.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...351,00.htm?r=2

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    05:30:47 up 138 days, 2:06, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.42, 0.92

  2. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    ____/ Homer on Wednesday 07 May 2008 05:31 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to
    >>> refactor their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and
    >>> people can add as much "bloat" as they want?

    >> Who knows? How can you know without mastering the code?

    > It's funny how Fuddie's One World; One Company; New World Order vision
    > of the future doesn't really seem to have helped Microsoft defeat the
    > bloat and redundancy of the software made by the champion of his cause.
    > But then Microsoft only champions that cause when it's *their* software.
    >
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent Java ... twice (Microsoft VM, then .NET)?
    >
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent Flash (Silverlight)?
    >
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent PDF (XPS)?
    >
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent ODF (OOXML)?
    >
    > Microsoft are the masters of reinvention (or assimilation, to put it
    > less euphemistically), so I find it deeply ironic that Fuddie should
    > choose to play that card. In fact it's debatable if the Vole has *ever*
    > truly "invented" anything, in the commonly accepted definition of the term:
    >
    > "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products" ~ Arno
    > Edelmann, Microsoft's European business security product manager.
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...351,00.htm?r=2

    They also imitate security products now, just like OneCare. And they do so
    badly (c/f article above).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
    existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
    reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
    of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
    called, of the monopolist."

    --Milton Friedman

  3. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to
    >>> refactor their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and
    >>> people can add as much "bloat" as they want?

    >> Who knows? How can you know without mastering the code?

    > It's funny how Fuddie's One World; One Company; New World Order vision
    > of the future doesn't really seem to have helped Microsoft defeat the
    > bloat and redundancy of the software made by the champion of his cause.
    > But then Microsoft only champions that cause when it's *their* software.
    >
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent Java ... twice (Microsoft VM, then .NET)?

    They had their own EEE (embrace, extend, extinguish) version of Java,
    too.

    > Why did Microsoft reinvent Flash (Silverlight)?
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent PDF (XPS)?
    > Why did Microsoft reinvent ODF (OOXML)?

    Why did Microsoft reinvent the iPod (Zune)?
    Why did Microsoft reinvent the game machine (Xbox)?
    Why did Microsoft reinvent the audio file (WAV, WMA) and graphics file?

    Gotta get those Microsoft formats out there!

    --
    Life is not fair; get used to it.
    -- Bill Gates

  4. Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 10:28:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Homer on Wednesday 07 May 2008 05:31 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Who knows? How can you know without mastering the code?

    >> It's funny how Fuddie's One World; One Company; New World Order vision
    >> of the future doesn't really seem to have helped Microsoft defeat the
    >> bloat and redundancy of the software made by the champion of his cause.
    >> But then Microsoft only champions that cause when it's *their* software.
    >>
    >> Why did Microsoft reinvent Java ... twice (Microsoft VM, then .NET)?
    >>
    >> Why did Microsoft reinvent Flash (Silverlight)?
    >>
    >> Why did Microsoft reinvent PDF (XPS)?
    >>
    >> Why did Microsoft reinvent ODF (OOXML)?
    >>
    >> Microsoft are the masters of reinvention (or assimilation, to put it
    >> less euphemistically), so I find it deeply ironic that Fuddie should
    >> choose to play that card. In fact it's debatable if the Vole has *ever*
    >> truly "invented" anything, in the commonly accepted definition of the term:
    >>
    >> "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products" ~ Arno
    >> Edelmann, Microsoft's European business security product manager.
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...351,00.htm?r=2

    > They also imitate security products now, just like OneCare. And they do so
    > badly (c/f article above).

    This is how Linux loons make love.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb