[News] Cuba Starts Distributing GNU/Linux or Open PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Cuba Starts Distributing GNU/Linux or Open PCs - Linux ; Cuba Lifts Ban on Home Computers ,----[ Quote ] | I'm a Cuban. This happened more than a month ago. And we are very happy that | someone finally came to his senses about it. | | What's new, though, ...

  1. [News] Cuba Starts Distributing GNU/Linux or Open PCs

    Cuba Lifts Ban on Home Computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm a Cuban. This happened more than a month ago. And we are very happy that
    | someone finally came to his senses about it.
    |
    | What's new, though, is that [startin soon], they are going to be sold without
    | operating systems... No more windows pre-installed. Or so I've heard. Now we
    | only need tons of Ubuntu disks to give away at the sotre.
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/03/1236214

    Watch the recent story below about MicrISOft 'losing' Cuba's vote and counting
    a "No" as a "Yes", having rejected a vote cast without Microsoft Word (.DOC).
    Yes, at ISO. Outragous.

    Cuba is moving to Free software.

    Recent:

    Cuba Votes No to OOXML - Says It Did So in September, Too - Updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More OOXML news. The Cuban National Bureau of Standards has reportedly sent
    | an email to the three names NBs are supposed to notify at ISO, Toshiko
    | Kimura, Keith Brannon, and Martine Gaillen, reporting that Cuba votes to
    | disapprove OOXML. *
    |
    | But the startling news is that the email claims that Cuba voted no in
    | September but that its vote was miscounted. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If you recall, the public announcement by ISO in September said that Cuba had
    | voted to approve, which led to puzzlement. Not so, says the email, which was
    | sent on Friday evening and broadly cc'd, including to all the NBs, perhaps to
    | ensure there was no confusion this time. Cuba was deeply injured by the false
    | report, the email says. Cuba voted no with comments in September. It never
    | approved OOXML. * *
    `----

    Related:

    The Gradual Introduction of Free Software in Cuba Becomes Significant to Go
    Ahead in the Crucial Strategy.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Without “pushing the boat out”, the gradual introduction of free software in
    | Cuba becomes significant to go ahead in the process of incorporating *
    | informatics into society.
    `----

    http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2008/02..._strategy.html

    Cuba embraces migration to free and open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Cuba's Cabinet also has urged a shift from proprietary software. The customs
    | service has gone to Linux and the ministries of culture, higher education and *
    | communications are planning to do so, Rodriguez said.
    |
    | And students in his own department are cooking up a version of Linux called
    | Nova, based on Gentoo distribution of the operating system. The ministry of
    | higher education is developing its own. *
    `----

    http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2007/08..._software.html

    Cuba Embraces Open-Source Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both governments say they are trying to wean state agencies from
    | Microsoft's proprietary Windows to the open-source Linux operating
    | system, which is developed by a global community of programmers
    | who freely share their code.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Other countries have tried similar moves. China, Brazil and
    | Norway have encouraged the development of Linux for a variety
    | of reasons: Microsoft's near-monopoly over operating systems,
    | the high cost of proprietary software and security problems.
    `----

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    http://tinyurl.com/29dejf

  2. Re: [News] Cuba Starts Distributing GNU/Linux or Open PCs

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 05:45:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Cuba Lifts Ban on Home Computers

    Excellent!!!!
    It's only a matter of time before they have flush toilets.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Cuba Starts Distributing GNU/Linux or Open PCs

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic