[Sad News] Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo - Linux

This is a discussion on [Sad News] Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo - Linux ; http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080503/micro...ahoo.html?.v=2 SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (NasdaqGS:MSFT - News) withdrew its offer for Yahoo Inc (NasdaqGS:YHOO - News) on Saturday as negotiations fell through on price, even after the software giant raised its bid by about $5 billion to ...

  1. [Sad News] Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo

    http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080503/micro...ahoo.html?.v=2

    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (NasdaqGS:MSFT - News)
    withdrew its offer for Yahoo Inc (NasdaqGS:YHOO - News) on Saturday
    as negotiations fell through on price, even after the software giant
    raised its bid by about $5 billion to $47.5 billion.

    Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said his company increased
    its offer to $33 per share, from the $31 per share cash-and-stock
    bid that it initially made on January 31. But Yahoo was looking for
    $37 a share, Ballmer said.

    Criminey! It would have only cost Fester about $50 billion to seal the
    deal. It wasn't /that/ far away from the numbers he'd already offered.

    Oh well. Maybe some other deal will come along that will make MS reach
    too far and sink themselves.

    --
    They teach classes on using Front Page? That's like a cooking class
    where they teach you how to order a pizza!

  2. Re: Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo

    On May 3, 11:15 pm, Sinister Midget wrote:
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080503/micro...ahoo.html?.v=2
    >
    > SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (NasdaqGS:MSFT - News)
    > withdrew its offer for Yahoo Inc (NasdaqGS:YHOO - News) on Saturday
    > as negotiations fell through on price, even after the software giant
    > raised its bid by about $5 billion to $47.5 billion.
    >
    > Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said his company increased
    > its offer to $33 per share, from the $31 per share cash-and-stock
    > bid that it initially made on January 31. But Yahoo was looking for
    > $37 a share, Ballmer said.
    >
    > Criminey! It would have only cost Fester about $50 billion to seal the
    > deal. It wasn't /that/ far away from the numbers he'd already offered.
    >
    > Oh well. Maybe some other deal will come along that will make MS reach
    > too far and sink themselves.
    >
    > --
    > They teach classes on using Front Page? That's like a cooking class
    > where they teach you how to order a pizza!

    One of the biggest problems that M$ faced was that their first order
    of business would have be to disassemble a properly working IT
    infrastructure based on Linux and other Unixes, only to replace it
    with an inferior alternative -as they did with Hotmail. If you acquire
    something like Yahoo, you want to improve it, not to break it.

    The Yahoo case is not unlike SAP's: when faced with a takeover from
    Redmond, they took a poison pill, investing heavily in Open Source. It
    worked nicely.

    -RFH

  3. Re: Microsoft withdraws offer for Yahoo

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > The Yahoo case is not unlike SAP's: when faced with a takeover from
    > Redmond, they took a poison pill, investing heavily in Open Source. It
    > worked nicely.

    When I label cola "advocates" as liars and buffoons, it's because of
    ridiculous blathering like this.

+ Reply to Thread