Re: [News] [Rival] Sales of Microsoft Windows Sink 24% in Just OneYear - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Sales of Microsoft Windows Sink 24% in Just OneYear - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates > > ,----[ Quote ] > | The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24 > | percent > > http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide same article: ((((( ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Sales of Microsoft Windows Sink 24% in Just OneYear

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
    > | percent
    >
    > http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

    same article:
    (((((
    > More Windows sales came from emerging markets, where prices are typically lower, Liddell said in an interview. Piracy rates also picked up in Asia, particularly China, Liddell said.
    >
    > ``That means that we are seeing [that] revenue growth relative to unit growth isn't as strong,'' he said.

    )))))

    They are having to bring their prices closer to the price of Linux
    ($0.00 per copy) to prevent defections to Linux. They don't want
    anybody taking up Linux even if they have to give Windows away.

    They are selling (or should I say issuing?) more copies but getting less
    revenue.

    As they give Windows and Office away more and more, their paying
    customers become fewer and fewer, so that fewer and fewer people are
    paying for all the development costs. As the few are made to pay more,
    they will look more closely at FOSS.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Sales of Microsoft Windows Sink 24% in Just One Year

    ____/ Matt on Sunday 04 May 2008 02:16 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
    >> | percent

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

    > same article:
    > (((((
    >> More Windows sales came from emerging markets, where prices are typically
    >> lower, Liddell said in an interview. Piracy rates also picked up in Asia,
    >> particularly China, Liddell said.
    >>
    >> ``That means that we are seeing [that] revenue growth relative to unit
    >> growth isn't as strong,'' he said.

    > )))))
    >
    > They are having to bring their prices closer to the price of Linux
    > ($0.00 per copy) to prevent defections to Linux. They don't want
    > anybody taking up Linux even if they have to give Windows away.
    >
    > They are selling (or should I say issuing?) more copies but getting less
    > revenue.
    >
    > As they give Windows and Office away more and more, their paying
    > customers become fewer and fewer, so that fewer and fewer people are
    > paying for all the development costs. As the few are made to pay more,
    > they will look more closely at FOSS.

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. *
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    It's the gradual process of commoditisation. Just watch how many discounts they
    offer on Vista. Like in the medicine industry, they will have to cope with
    this process. They try to make the Web proprietary with XAML (Silverbullet)
    and give away free (gratis) tools to children in hopes of achieving this
    (Windows lock-in). They also raped ISO to prevent documents from going down
    the same lane where they become a commodity.

    It's important to watch what Microsoft is doing. It's cash down are /already/
    suffering. It's not a question of when.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    05:20:01 up 19 days, 3:32, 3 users, load average: 0.26, 0.57, 0.93