Swiss politician calls for Open-Source preemption of 34,000-desktopVista upgrade - Linux

This is a discussion on Swiss politician calls for Open-Source preemption of 34,000-desktopVista upgrade - Linux ; http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7350/469 > CH: 'Federal government should consider national Open Source policy' > Open Source News - 07 February 2008 - Other European Countries - Policies and Announcements > > The Swiss government should develop policies to promote the use of ...

  1. Swiss politician calls for Open-Source preemption of 34,000-desktopVista upgrade

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7350/469

    > CH: 'Federal government should consider national Open Source policy'
    > Open Source News - 07 February 2008 - Other European Countries - Policies and Announcements
    >
    > The Swiss government should develop policies to promote the use of Open Source and open standards by public administrations, says Walter Donzť, Evangelical People's Party MP.
    >
    > Last December, Donzť asked the Swiss government if it is feasible to develop a strategy similar to the Netherlands, where the use of proprietary software needs to be justified if Open Source alternatives are available. Donzť also wants to know how much the Swiss federal agencies spend on software licenses for servers and desktop PCs, with regards to the planned migration of 34.000 desktops to Microsoft Vista and Microsoft Office 2007.
    >
    > Donzť in total posed seven questions to the central government. "How does the Federal government restrict the lock-in by software vendors of the public administration? What would be the government's cost and security benefits if it were to use Open Source software?"
    >
    > The government will send its answers back to the parliament early next month, expects Open Source software researcher Matthias StŁrmer, a board member of the Swiss Open Systems User Group (/ch/open) "The Swiss government developed a strategy on Open Source in 2005, but there are legal restrictions regarding liability that currently limit public administrations' use of this kind of applications. We are working with members of parliament to see how we can get these restrictions removed."
    >
    > Ch/open also wants the Federal government to favour Open Source software above proprietary applications at all levels of public administration. StŁrmer:"Last year we tried in vain to get the canton of Bern to develop such a policy. A national push would be very helpful."
    >
    > StŁrmer expects the government answers will be a topic at the 'Open Expo' conference Ch/open is organising in March.
    >

    > © European Communities 2008
    > Reproduction is authorised provided the source is acknowledged.
    > The views expressed are not an official position of the European Commission.

    At minimum they have the chance to drive the price way down by
    threatening a FOSS migration.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangel...of_Switzerland
    http://www.isb.admin.ch/themen/strat...x.html?lang=en

  2. Re: Swiss politician calls for Open-Source preemption of 34,000-desktop Vista upgrade

    ____/ Matt on Sunday 04 May 2008 02:06 : \____

    > http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7350/469
    >
    >> CH: 'Federal government should consider national Open Source policy'
    >> Open Source News - 07 February 2008 - Other European Countries - Policies
    >> and Announcements
    >>
    >> The Swiss government should develop policies to promote the use of Open
    >> Source and open standards by public administrations, says Walter Donzé,
    >> Evangelical People's Party MP.
    >>
    >> Last December, Donzé asked the Swiss government if it is feasible to develop
    >> a strategy similar to the Netherlands, where the use of proprietary software
    >> needs to be justified if Open Source alternatives are available. Donzé also
    >> wants to know how much the Swiss federal agencies spend on software licenses
    >> for servers and desktop PCs, with regards to the planned migration of 34.000
    >> desktops to Microsoft Vista and Microsoft Office 2007.
    >>
    >> Donzé in total posed seven questions to the central government. "How does
    >> the Federal government restrict the lock-in by software vendors of the
    >> public administration? What would be the government's cost and security
    >> benefits if it were to use Open Source software?"
    >>
    >> The government will send its answers back to the parliament early next
    >> month, expects Open Source software researcher Matthias St√ľrmer, a board
    >> member of the Swiss Open Systems User Group (/ch/open) "The Swiss government
    >> developed a strategy on Open Source in 2005, but there are legal
    >> restrictions regarding liability that currently limit public
    >> administrations' use of this kind of applications. We are working with
    >> members of parliament to see how we can get these restrictions removed."
    >>
    >> Ch/open also wants the Federal government to favour Open Source software
    >> above proprietary applications at all levels of public administration.
    >> St√ľrmer:"Last year we tried in vain to get the canton of Bern to develop
    >> such a policy. A national push would be very helpful."
    >>
    >> St√ľrmer expects the government answers will be a topic at the 'Open Expo'
    >> conference Ch/open is organising in March.
    >>

    >> © European Communities 2008
    >> Reproduction is authorised provided the source is acknowledged.
    >> The views expressed are not an official position of the European Commission.

    > At minimum they have the chance to drive the price way down by
    > threatening a FOSS migration.

    It's not a bargaining card. They already practically move to GNU/Linux. There
    are many examples I can think of. It's actually driven by citizens' demands,
    not the government attempt to get better prices.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | {Hide sig} {Show sig} >{Close Application}<
    Cpu(s): 24.3%us, 3.5%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.7%id, 4.1%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st