Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU! - Linux

This is a discussion on Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU! - Linux ; Virgin Mobile Moves SMS Messaging Database to MySQL Platform 4:22 am on January 11, 2008 | Category: Telecom Services, Wireless, Messaging, Software business/virgin.jpg British MVNO, Virgin Mobile, has moved its back-end SMS database onto an open-source MySQL-based platform. The open-source ...

  1. Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    Virgin Mobile Moves SMS Messaging Database to MySQL Platform 4:22 am on
    January 11, 2008 | Category: Telecom Services, Wireless, Messaging,
    Software

    business/virgin.jpg

    British MVNO, Virgin Mobile, has moved its back-end SMS database onto an
    open-source MySQL-based platform.

    The open-source database system is now being used to process thousands of
    queries each second (each individual text message can generate over a
    hundred queries), and contains more than 500 GB of data, according to the
    carrier.

    All applications have been developed internally at Virgin Mobile, based on
    a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl/Python) platform, and are highly
    scalable, particularly during peak usage times.

    “The phenomenal growth in the number of subscribers to mobile phone
    services has led telecom operators and equipment manufacturers to develop
    new modern infrastructures to meet their customers’ needs,” commented
    MySQL’s senior director of worldwide telecom sales, Joe Morrissey.
    “MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition and MySQL Enterprise are now at the
    heart of the solutions implemented by the leading industry players. We are
    delighted about this additional endorsement by Virgin Mobile.”

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:04:40 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    > Virgin Mobile Moves SMS Messaging Database to MySQL Platform 4:22 am on
    > January 11, 2008 | Category: Telecom Services, Wireless, Messaging,
    > Software

    Can I use Linux desktop to access *ALL* the features of my Virgin Mobile
    devices including updating the firmware?

    If not, why would I want to hammerlock my mobile device?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    Ivan Mctavish wrote:

    snip garbage

    just like teranews, Motzarella.org, & all of the other free nntp providors,
    now read.cnntp.org is going to be permanatly binned.
    sorry HPT

  5. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    Hi, 'none of your buisiness':

    This is off topic. I found one of your old posts when you were looking
    for an html parser. Could you please tell me what did you end up
    doing? We are in 2008 and I basically am in the same position... I
    don't want to use IE.

    Thanks

  6. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:03:05 -0700 (PDT), Costa wrote:

    > Hi, 'none of your buisiness':
    >
    > This is off topic. I found one of your old posts when you were looking
    > for an html parser. Could you please tell me what did you end up
    > doing? We are in 2008 and I basically am in the same position... I
    > don't want to use IE.
    >
    > Thanks

    Good to see you've finally figured out that the year is 2008,
    That's a good start.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: Virgim Mobile Goes Linux - and so should YOU!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 21:22:56 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:04:40 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >
    >> Virgin Mobile Moves SMS Messaging Database to MySQL Platform 4:22 am on
    >> January 11, 2008 | Category: Telecom Services, Wireless, Messaging,
    >> Software

    > Can I use Linux desktop to access *ALL* the features of my Virgin Mobile
    > devices including updating the firmware?
    >
    > If not, why would I want to hammerlock my mobile device?

    Why do you care? You continually diss Linux, even though you say you and
    your family use it.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread