(Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be - Linux

This is a discussion on (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be - Linux ; http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...ics_nothi.html Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be I'm going to try and sift through the morass and say what I think the numbers really mean and what they don't mean. Those with an ...

  1. (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...ics_nothi.html

    Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    I'm going to try and sift through the morass and say what I think the
    numbers really mean and what they don't mean. Those with an agenda, either
    agenda, will, I'm sure, attack what I have to say. I think anyone who
    really tries to look at things objectively probably won't. I'm just not
    sure that very many people are truly objective.

    In the interest of fairness let me disclose where I am coming from: Yes, I
    tend to have a pro-Linux bias. I also have a bias against hype and B.S.

  2. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    Linux: Light on its feet and ready to strut its stuff

    Let's get the unpleasant part out of the way first: If running Adobe
    Premiere is the most important thing in your life, or you want to play
    Halo, Linux isn't going to do it for you, at least right at the moment.
    While most Windows software can run under Linux in one fashion or another,
    applications that make extensive use of hardware drivers or high-end
    graphics may not work right.

    But for everything else, Linux is definitely the way to go.

    Unlike Mac OS and Windows, Linux is free as air and open to development by
    folks who are motivated by the desire to make the technology better,
    rather than by corporate tech farms whose real interest is the bottom
    line. Which is all very nice, but is it any good as a desktop operating
    system? You bet. Size and speed

    Let's start with the hardware footprint: With the possible exception of
    BSD, Linux's 'sister,' Linux is the lightest thing you'll ever install on
    your computer. While the minimum required hardware for Windows has been
    bloating, and Macs need more and more horsepower to run OS X, you can
    still dig out your old 486 and fire up Linux without problems. © Larry
    Ewing, Simon Budig, Anja Gerwinski

    I recently got one of the One Laptop Per Child XOs -- a machine with 256MB
    of RAM and a power-miserly processor -- and had no trouble running Xubuntu
    Linux on it. Meanwhile, Windows XP needs to be sliced and diced like crazy
    to fit onto the same hardware.

    It's not for nothing that you'll find Linux inside of devices where
    hardware cost is an issue, like DVRs (TiVo anyone?) and routers. I was
    somewhat shocked to find that my recently purchased 52-in. LCD TV has a
    Linux kernel inside of it. If you hunt around, I'll bet you'll find at
    least one device in your home running Linux. Stability, security,
    transparency, flexibility

    Linux is not only small, but it's also stable. I have several Windows
    boxes at home, and it seems like whenever I blink, something has gotten
    screwed up in the registry or I have a Dynamic Link Library conflict.

    Linux has all the configuration data and libraries right out where you can
    see them, in files. You can see what's changed and make edits manually,
    without having to figure out which of 9 million HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    registry entries is the one you want. Even the system-configuration tools
    that have nice graphical user interfaces (GUI) end up generating
    human-readable and editable files at the end of the day.

    In the recent "Pwn 2 Own" hacker challenge, computers running Mac OS X and
    Windows Vista were cracked, but the Linux machine wasn't. I won't claim
    that Linux has no security or virus problems, but they tend to be right
    out in the open where you can see them if you look. At the moment, there
    are far fewer Linux viruses out in the wild than Windows viruses, and
    there are fairly bullet-proof ways to detect viruses under Linux using
    checksums on files.

    Conversely, it's much easier to move your Linux system to new hardware or
    clone an existing system because there's no licensing. I've never had a
    problem moving a Linux system disk to a new computer, even when the
    hardware was drastically different. There's basically no way to do this on
    either a Windows or a Mac system.

    You also have your choice of Linux distributions, from geek-friendly
    Debian and end-user-friendly Ubuntu to business-friendly Red Hat and
    Novell SUSE. And no matter which one you pick, you can rest assured that
    they'll all run the same apps. The Ubuntu Linux desktop
    Applications and interface

    It used to be the conventional wisdom that the problem with Linux was
    desktop applications. But with tools such as Wine, CrossOver Linux and
    VMWare Player, many Windows applications run just fine under Linux these
    days.

    And in some cases, native Linux applications may serve you just as well.
    OpenOffice is a mature replacement for Microsoft Office, and there are
    good (and free) tools for video and photo editing, audio editing, and many
    other common applications. Just do a quick Google search for "Linux video
    editing," for example, and you'll see what I mean.

    More importantly, more and more applications are transitioning to
    Web-based versions using JavaScript or Flash/Silverlight/Flex/Air. Who
    cares if you can't run TurboTax on Linux, when you can use the Web-based
    TurboTax right from your browser?

    Finally, the Linux desktop experience is now the match of any other
    desktop GUI in existence. The user interface is intuitive and clean, but
    still powerful. If you choose a user-friendly distribution like Ubuntu,
    installing Linux is as easy as installing Windows -- and unlike Windows,
    you can even "try before you buy," since distributions such as Ubuntu have
    a "live" install CD/DVD.

    You can even run a full Linux distribution such as Damn Small Linux from a
    128MB (or larger) USB drive. Did your Windows PC crash again? Plug in the
    USB drive, and you've got access.

    Heck, most Linux distributions will even shrink a Windows partition and
    set up dual-booting automatically. Ignore all the fear, uncertainty and
    doubt you'll hear about nightmare installs and bad device support --
    that's from the bad old days! Bottom line

    Linux is free, fast, small, powerful, stable and flexible. It will get you
    off the "new hardware every other year" life cycle and let you concentrate
    on being productive rather than playing nursemaid to your operating
    system. You almost certainly already have Linux in your home or business,
    even if you don't know it. So why not give it a try on your desktop?

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  3. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    /\
    98% of all Paid Trolls use GNU/Linux to post here

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  4. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    "Ruben" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.05.03.23.49.49.672005@www2.mrbrklyn.com...
    > Linux: Light on its feet and ready to strut its stuff
    >
    > Let's get the unpleasant part out of the way first: If running Adobe
    > Premiere is the most important thing in your life, or you want to play

    So how much does your employer, Microsoft, pay you to "advocate linux" this
    way?

    You know exactly what I mean. How much do they pay you to act like such an
    extreme idiot that it gives linux users in general a bad reputation? Do
    they pay you well to make such an idiotic fool out of "linux" that it drives
    "normal people" away?

  5. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:44:04 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Ruben" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.05.03.23.49.49.672005@www2.mrbrklyn.com...
    >> Linux: Light on its feet and ready to strut its stuff
    >>
    >> Let's get the unpleasant part out of the way first: If running Adobe
    >> Premiere is the most important thing in your life, or you want to play

    > So how much does your employer, Microsoft, pay you to "advocate linux" this
    > way?
    >
    > You know exactly what I mean. How much do they pay you to act like such an
    > extreme idiot that it gives linux users in general a bad reputation? Do
    > they pay you well to make such an idiotic fool out of "linux" that it drives
    > "normal people" away?

    Oh - Good Double troll!! They should pay you TWICE for that one.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  6. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...ics_nothi.html
    >

    > Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be
    >

    > I'm going to try and sift through the morass and say what I think the
    > numbers really mean and what they don't mean. Those with an agenda, either
    > agenda, will, I'm sure, attack what I have to say. I think anyone who
    > really tries to look at things objectively probably won't. I'm just not
    > sure that very many people are truly objective.
    >
    > In the interest of fairness let me disclose where I am coming from: Yes, I
    > tend to have a pro-Linux bias. I also have a bias against hype and B.S.

    Balanced article. She should come to COLA.

    ,----
    | What usually makes Linux painful or impossible for the average Joe or
    | Jane user is the task of installation and configuration. Asus took away
    | that pain by offering a very attractive little box at a good price with
    | an easy to use, ready to go Linux installation. Now the trick is getting
    | Joe or Jane user to seriously consider that the Xandros Linux version,
    | if they did their own cost vs. benefit analysis, really is the better
    | choice and not just because it boots up faster.
    `----

    Pretty much exactly what I said when I posted about my eee experiences.

  7. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    On Sun, 04 May 2008 08:27:48 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...ics_nothi.html
    >>

    >> Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be
    >>

    >> I'm going to try and sift through the morass and say what I think the
    >> numbers really mean and what they don't mean. Those with an agenda, either
    >> agenda, will, I'm sure, attack what I have to say. I think anyone who
    >> really tries to look at things objectively probably won't. I'm just not
    >> sure that very many people are truly objective.
    >>
    >> In the interest of fairness let me disclose where I am coming from: Yes, I
    >> tend to have a pro-Linux bias. I also have a bias against hype and B.S.

    > Balanced article. She should come to COLA.
    >
    > ,----
    >| What usually makes Linux painful or impossible for the average Joe or
    >| Jane user is the task of installation and configuration. Asus took away
    >| that pain by offering a very attractive little box at a good price with
    >| an easy to use, ready to go Linux installation. Now the trick is getting
    >| Joe or Jane user to seriously consider that the Xandros Linux version,
    >| if they did their own cost vs. benefit analysis, really is the better
    >| choice and not just because it boots up faster.
    > `----
    >
    > Pretty much exactly what I said when I posted about my eee experiences.

    The nuts in COLA would label her a troll because she doesn't agree 100
    percent with the Linux cult religion.

    In COLA you are either with the Loons 100 percent, or you are considered to
    be against them 100 percent.

    It's weird.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: (Good article) Linux vs. Windows Metrics -- Nothing Is Quite What It Seems To Be

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic