How a monopoly works/ Switch to GNU/Linux Now! - Linux

This is a discussion on How a monopoly works/ Switch to GNU/Linux Now! - Linux ; Vista 'Inevitable' at Work, Analyst Says Gregg Keizer, Computerworld Related Articles: * Microsoft Backpedals on Windows Updates * Is Vista to Blame for Windows Revenue Drop? * Dell to Offer Windows XP Beyond June 30 Cutoff * No Change in ...

  1. How a monopoly works/ Switch to GNU/Linux Now!

    Vista 'Inevitable' at Work, Analyst Says

    Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
    Related Articles:

    * Microsoft Backpedals on Windows Updates * Is Vista to Blame for
    Windows Revenue Drop? * Dell to Offer Windows XP Beyond June 30 Cutoff
    * No Change in XP Plan Despite Ballmer Comment, Microsoft Says * Is
    Windows XP Environmentally Incorrect?

    Related Searches:

    * vista
    * enterprise

    Find a Review
    Saturday, May 03, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

    Although a "significant" number of corporations are hesitating to move to
    Windows Vista, businesses should bite the bullet because Microsoft Corp.
    is retiring Windows XP, and there's no guarantee it will deliver a
    next-generation operating system on time or with compelling features, a
    research analyst said.

    "Vista is an inevitability, for a number of reasons," said Ben Gray, an
    analyst at Forrester Research Inc. He then ticked off several, including
    Windows XP's announced retirement and unsubstantiated talk about Vista's
    successor, Windows 7.

    "They are sort of in a 'caught between a rock and a hard place'
    situation," said Gray. Administrators may not want to move to Vista, but
    neither of the alternatives -- the older XP and the
    not-even-officially-scheduled Windows 7 -- is attractive, he said.

    It will become more difficult to stick with Windows XP when top-tier
    computer makers pull it off their operating system lists on June 30, the
    date Microsoft has mandated that manufacturers stop offering it on new
    PCs. The company will also yank XP from retail sales then.

    And companies considering skipping Vista altogether by migrating from XP
    straight to Windows 7, may be punished, Gray added.

    "To be blunt, customers know very little about Windows 7," he said, noting
    that with the exception of a few facts -- the Vista successor will come in
    both consumer and business editions and versions for both 32- and 64-bit
    machines -- "everything else is pure rumor and speculation."

    Microsoft's poor track record on making release dates and crafting
    operating systems without discarding major features should make corporate
    decision-makers take pause, Gray said. "Ironically, one of Microsoft's
    biggest weaknesses, the unpredictable release schedule of its desktop
    operating systems, will likely spur adoption of Windows Vista as a result
    of this lack of faith in Microsoft delivering Windows 7 on time," he said.

    "You can't count on Windows 7 being perfect," Gray said.

    The aging of XP and the uncertainty of Windows 7 mean businesses really
    have no choice: They have to move to Vista, whether they like it or not,
    he noted.

    "We get this question daily from clients: Should they continue to deploy
    XP, which they know and love, or skip Vista entirely for Windows 7?" Gray
    said. "We're not here to sell Windows XP or Windows Vista or Windows 7,
    but Vista looks like an inevitability."

    In a report he authored, Gray damned Vista with some faint praise, saying
    that for large businesses, there was "no viable alternative." Companies
    may talk about non-Windows operating systems -- Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X and
    the open-source Linux in particular -- but "they're not looking to swap
    out thousands of users," Gray said.

    "Companies are trying to figure out where these alternatives make the best
    fit, maybe pilot [Mac OS X or Linux] in small batches, but on the whole,
    it's almost a check-mark kind of thing."

    The lack of a viable alternative to Vista may be a fact, but it doesn't
    mean that every business likes the idea of upgrading to an operating
    system that has been dinged by both users and the press. "Vista's problems
    are driving a lot of companies to rethink everything," said Gray.

    The hesitation to bet the bank on Vista was illustrated by a different
    Forrester report last month. Then, the research firm touted polls that
    surveyed 50,000 corporate users throughout 2007. The results, said
    Forrester, showed that Windows XP usage had not budged during the first
    year of Vista's availability. Instead, the rise in Vista use -- by the end
    of 2007, 6.3% of users were running it -- was matched by a decline in
    Windows 2000 usage.

    "Companies have clearly pulled back on their very aggressive migration
    plans, in some cases by a couple of quarters, in others by a couple of
    years," Gray said. "And there's a lot of resentment that Microsoft
    dominates the [desktop] operating system, which is why people are looking
    at Mac and Linux."

    But businesses should put all that should aside and start their migrations
    to Vista soon, Gray argued. "There's no question that adoption of Vista
    has been tempered to date," he said, "but now that [Vista] SP1 is out,
    that's going to help adoption. It's the official blessing of Vista."

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: How a monopoly works/ Switch to GNU/Linux Now!

    Ruben wrote:

    > "Vista is an inevitability, for a number of reasons," said Ben Gray, an
    > analyst at Forrester Research Inc. He then ticked off several, including
    > Windows XP's announced retirement and unsubstantiated talk about Vista's
    > successor, Windows 7.

    Gray's full of ****. We've got something like 1,700 computers. Almost all of
    them would have to be upgraded or replaced to use Vista ME. It will also
    require updating several of our key software packages. I'm told that some
    servers would have to be upgraded (we've about 350 of them). We are
    currently in an economic "downturn," i.e., recession. This isn't going to
    happen now, period. What I was told by the IT people is that Vista is not
    even on the table and *won't* be until at least 2010.

    What's "inevitable" is that Vista ME will be a failure for Micro$haft and
    they *will* hurry out Windows 7, while finding a way to extend XP licenses.
    Micro$haft's bull**** words are just bravado -- they mean nothing.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: How a monopoly works/ Switch to GNU/Linux Now!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 17:43:49 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > We've got something like 1,700 computers. Almost all of
    > them would have to be upgraded or replaced to use Vista ME.

    You might as well change the platform now to GNU/Linux. I have about 200
    SuSE boxes for nearly all parts of business, and none have had to been
    upgraded in 8 years outside of security updates.

    Go figure. The machines only stop when the CPU's burn out and die.

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

+ Reply to Thread