Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured - Linux

This is a discussion on Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured - Linux ; March 2003 Can Microsoft Be Secure? Laura Koetzle Today's approach to Windows security isn't working -- and just exhorting firms to try harder isn't the answer. Instead, Microsoft must forge a new security partnership with both users and ISVs. by ...

  1. Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured

    March 2003

    Can Microsoft Be Secure?

    Laura Koetzle Today's approach to Windows security isn't working -- and
    just exhorting firms to try harder isn't the answer. Instead, Microsoft
    must forge a new security partnership with both users and ISVs. by Laura
    Koetzle with Ted Schadler, Charles Rutstein, Robert Whiteley

    INTERVIEWS

    * 74% of users don't trust Microsoft security. * Nine out of 10 users
    deploy sensitive applications on Windows, anyway.

    ANALYSIS

    * Microsoft released patches for the top nine Windows security flaws
    an average of 305 days before the major exploits hit. * Users must
    re-evaluate the security of default Windows configurations at least
    every three months.

    WHAT IT MEANS

    * Red Hat must perfect patch management by mid-2004.

    Figures & Data

    * Figure 1. Firms Complain About Microsoft Security But Don't Do Much
    About It * Figure 2. Microsoft Issues Patches, But Users Don't Apply
    Them * Figure 3. Roles And Responsibilities Through The Security Life
    Cycle * Figure 4. Fixing Patch Management

    RELATED MATERIAL

    * Companies Interviewed For This Report * Related Research

    GRAPEVINE

    * One thing at a time: Let's work on not getting laughed off the
    stage. * Shaken, not stirred.
    * Big Mac meets big pipe.
    * Clippy rides again.

    Find Documents In Related Categories

    This document falls under the following categories. Click on a link below
    to find similar documents.

    Analyst: Laura Koetzle
    Document Type: Report

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured

    Ruben wrote:
    > March 2003

    Aug 2007:

    "The Ubuntu community had to yank five of the eight Ubuntu-hosted
    community servers sponsored by Canonical offline Aug. 6 after discovering
    that the servers had been hijacked and were attacking other machines."
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ub...Launch-Attack/

  3. Re: Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured

    On Sun, 4 May 2008 10:17:53 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Ruben wrote:
    >> March 2003

    > Aug 2007:
    >
    > "The Ubuntu community had to yank five of the eight Ubuntu-hosted
    > community servers sponsored by Canonical offline Aug. 6 after discovering
    > that the servers had been hijacked and were attacking other machines."
    > http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ub...Launch-Attack/

    Was Roy Schestowitz the administrator of those Ubuntu servers?
    That would sure explain why they were hacked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Experts Agree, Windows can never be secured

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic