Microsoft Spends 6,000,000,000 (Billion 1x10 -9 power) on Free Software development in attempt to save themselves - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft Spends 6,000,000,000 (Billion 1x10 -9 power) on Free Software development in attempt to save themselves - Linux ; http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...31;fp;2;fpid;1 Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play Linux and open source software at heart of acquisition Rodney Gedda (Computerworld) 29/05/2007 16:24:46 Additional Resources Newsletter Subscription Sign up for our LinuxWorld newsletters! LinuxWorld News [Daily] The latest Linux and ...

  1. Microsoft Spends 6,000,000,000 (Billion 1x10 -9 power) on Free Software development in attempt to save themselves

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...31;fp;2;fpid;1

    Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play Linux and open source
    software at heart of acquisition Rodney Gedda (Computerworld) 29/05/2007
    16:24:46

    Additional Resources
    Newsletter Subscription
    Sign up for our LinuxWorld newsletters! LinuxWorld News [Daily]
    The latest Linux and related information technology news from Australia
    and the World. LinuxWorld Technology List [Weekly]
    A round up of the latest in Linux technology comprising of product
    reviews, HOW-TOs and editorial. RSS Feeds

    * Show all RSS feeds

    This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
    services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies will
    integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal may be
    Redmond's largest commitment to free software.

    The parent company of Avenue A Razorfish, Atlas, and DRIVEpm, aQuantive is
    regarded as the second choice behind the now Google-owned DoubleClick in
    the online advertising space.

    A drastic purchase perhaps, but Microsoft is confident the company's
    technology and services are complementary.

    In an interview with IDG News Service, Microsoft's president of its
    platforms and services division, Kevin Johnson, would not comment on the
    specifics of how Microsoft will bring together aQuantive's existing
    offerings with its online properties and adCenter advertising platform,
    but did say the companies are putting teams in place now to work on the
    integration plan.

    Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
    work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by
    aQuantive.

    Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
    company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
    Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.

    Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development
    in C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
    maintaining custom reporting capabilities.

    Other sought after skills include Unix development, JavaScript, and those
    for Windows software administration like SQL Server and IIS.

    The use of open source is not confined to Atlas with the second
    significant business unit Avenue A Razorfish boasting "we also frequently
    utilize open source technologies".

    The world's largest interactive agency, according to aQuantive, Avenue A
    Razorfish develops server-side code to support Fortune 1000 client Web
    applications in J2EE and .Net.

    The company's applications often incorporate content management, portal,
    and security applications that leverage "standard-based Web technologies".

    Developers must be familiar with open source technologies and scripting
    languages, and different server operating systems, like Windows, Unix and
    Linux.

    The scale of aQuantive's open source deployments is unclear but with 2600
    employees the acquisition could be Microsoft's biggest free software bet
    and will certainly test the company's willingness to interoperate.

    - with Jeremy Kirk

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: Microsoft Spends 6,000,000,000 (Billion 1x10 -9 power) on Free Software development in attempt to save themselves

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:43:31 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    Wow, you really do like following in Roy's footsteps, complete with
    misleading and inaccurate headlines.

    The article does not talk about Microsoft spending 6 billion on free
    software development, like your headline says. It talks about Microsoft
    spending 6 billion on buying a company that includes an "unclear" amount of
    open source technology.

    In case you didn't notice, Microsoft makes strategic aquisitions. That is,
    they buy them for their value, not their technology. They buy them because
    of their customers, or because it will give them an immediate entry into a
    market that they can then absorbe into the fold over time.

    Hotmail was a good example. It was purchased while running BSD and
    Solaris. Over time, they converted it to to Windows.

    Don't act like this is some new revelation.

+ Reply to Thread