Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing! - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing! - Linux ; http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclect...d-unemployment The day started like any other day — get up, dink around for a bit, bus into work, and start working through the stack of jobs. Just shy of an hour after I got in, my manager came in ...

  1. Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclect...d-unemployment

    The day started like any other day — get up, dink around for a bit, bus
    into work, and start working through the stack of jobs. Just shy of an
    hour after I got in, my manager came in and asked me to step into his
    office when I had a chance. Sure, no biggie, and I headed over as soon as
    I finished the job I was setting up.

    “Okay, here’s the first question. Is this page,” and here he turned
    his monitor towards me, letting me see my “Even Microsoft wants G5s”
    post from last Thursday, “hosted on any Microsoft computer? Or is it on
    your own?”

    “It’s on mine. Well, it’s on a hosted site that I pay for, but no,
    it’s not on anything of Microsoft’s.”

    “Good. That means that as it’s your site on your own server, you have
    the right to say anything you want. Unfortunately, Microsoft has the right
    to decide that because of what you said, you’re no longer welcome on the
    Microsoft campus.”

    And that simply, as of about 2pm today, I once again joined the ranks of
    the unemployed.

    It seems that my post is seen by Microsoft Security as being a security
    violation. The picture itself might have been permissible, but because I
    also mentioned that I worked at the MSCopy print shop, and which building
    it was in, it pushed me over the line. Merely removing the post was also
    not an option — I offered, and my manager said that he had asked the
    same thing — but the only option afforded me was to collect any personal
    belongings I had at my workstation and be escorted out the door. They were
    at least kind enough to let me be escorted out by one of my co-workers,
    rather than sending security over to usher me out, but the end result is
    the same.

    More frustrating for me is that, having read stories here and there on the
    ‘net about people who had for one reason or another lost their jobs due
    to something on their weblogs, I thought that I had done what I could to
    avoid that possibility. To my mind, it’s an innocuous post. The presence
    of Macs on the Microsoft campus isn’t a secret (for everything from
    graphic design work to the Mac Business Unit), and when I took the
    picture, I made sure to stand with my back to the building so that nothing
    other than the computers and the truck would be shown — no building
    features, no security measures, and no Microsoft personnel. However, it
    obviously wasn’t enough.

    So, I’m unemployed. I am somewhat lucky in that I’m not technically
    unemployed — I am still on the roster for my temp agency, who has been
    very good to me so far (and hopefully will continue to be), but as their
    ability to place me anywhere does depend on the current job market, it’s
    not a foolproof guarantee of employment coming in quickly. I’ve put a
    call into them and let them know of the situation and that I’m available
    and willing for whatever can be found, so with any luck, they’ll be able
    to find a placement for me. However, it appears that it’s also time for
    me to start hitting the streets and shopping my resume around again.

    Wish me luck.

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    Ruben writes:

    > http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclect...d-unemployment
    >
    > The day started like any other day — get up, dink around for a bit, bus
    > into work, and start working through the stack of jobs. Just shy of an
    > hour after I got in, my manager came in and asked me to step into his
    > office when I had a chance. Sure, no biggie, and I headed over as soon as
    > I finished the job I was setting up.

    *snip*

    Err, what did he expect? The man is clearly a complete idiot and
    deserved to be fired.

  3. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:34:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Err, what did he expect? The man is clearly a complete idiot and
    > deserved to be fired.

    He expected Microsoft not to run Apple products

    You Nameless Stupid Idiot Troll!

    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  4. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:39:56 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:34:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> Err, what did he expect? The man is clearly a complete idiot and
    >> deserved to be fired.

    > He expected Microsoft not to run Apple products
    >
    > You Nameless Stupid Idiot Troll!
    >
    > ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    No, he took pictures in a secure area against his employment terms. It
    didn't matter what the pictures were of.

    Microsoft has a large Mac business unit. They sell Mac software. Do you
    think they develop that sofware on PC's? It's entirely stupid, and
    brainless on your part to pretend that the firing was to prevent the
    information that Macs are in use at Microsoft.

    Also, you dishonestly "forgot" to include the first part of the article
    that says this:

    "UPDATE: Please take the time to read my followup post, Fifteen Minutes of
    Fame, for my thoughts on what happened after I posted the picture, why it
    happened X and most importantly, why I dont blame Microsoft for their
    actions. Thanks!"

    http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclect...inutes-of-fame

    Why are so many linux advocates so dishonest?

  5. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    Ruben wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:34:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> Err, what did he expect? The man is clearly a complete idiot and
    >> deserved to be fired.

    > He expected Microsoft not to run Apple products

    Why would he expect that? Microsoft develops one of the most popular
    software packages for the Mac.

    They also have Linux labs, last I heard.

  6. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks andsay so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    On May 4, 5:56 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Ruben wrote:
    > > On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:34:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > >> Err, what did he expect? The man is clearly a complete idiot and
    > >> deserved to be fired.

    > > He expected Microsoft not to run Apple products

    > Why would he expect that? Microsoft develops one of the most popular
    > software packages for the Mac.
    >
    > They also have Linux labs, last I heard.

    Sure, they also violated the user agreements with Borland years back.
    They have no fear of the law. They got busted as a monopoly and Gates
    should probably had been jailed, but if one disgruntled programmer
    having a tough day is more than Trolls can comprehend, imagine if this
    guy posted something like that, or something like this

    The Usual Suspects

    Ask any developer in Windows why Vista is plagued by delays, and
    they'll say that the code is way too complicated, and that the pace of
    coding has been tremendously slowed down by overbearing process.
    These claims have already been covered in other popular literature. A
    quick recap for those of you just joining the broadcast:

    * Windows code is too complicated. It's not the components
    themselves, it's their interdependencies. An architectural diagram of
    Windows would suggest there are more than 50 dependency layers (never
    mind that there also exist circular dependencies). After working in
    Windows for five years, you understand only, say, two of them. Add to
    this the fact that building Windows on a dual-proc dev box takes
    nearly 24 hours, and you'll be slow enough to drive Miss Daisy.
    * Windows process has gone thermonuclear. Imagine each little
    email you send asking someone else to fill out a spreadsheet, comment
    on a report, sign off on a decision -- is a little neutron shooting
    about in space. Your innocent-seeming little neutron now causes your
    heretofore mostly-harmless neighbors to release neutrons of their
    own. Now imagine there are 9000 of you, all jammed into a tight
    little space called Redmond. It's Windows Gone Thermonuclear, a
    phenomenon by which process engenders further process, eventually
    becoming a self-sustaining buzz of fervent destructive activity.

    Let's see if, quantitatively, there's any truth to the perception that
    the code velocity (net lines shipped per developer-year) of Windows
    has slowed, or is slow relative to the industry. Vista is said to
    have over 50 million lines of code, whereas XP was said to have around
    40 million. There are about two thousand software developers in
    Windows today. Assuming there are 5 years between when XP shipped and
    when Vista ships, those quick on the draw with calculators will
    discover that, on average, the typical Windows developer has produced
    one thousand new lines of shipped code per year during Vista. Only a
    thousand lines a year. (Yes, developers don't just write new code,
    they also fix old code. Yes, some of those Windows developers were
    partly busy shipping 64-bit XP. Yes, many of them also worked on
    hotfixes. Work with me here.)

    Lest those of you who wrote 5,000 lines of code last weekend pass a
    kidney stone at the thought of Windows developers writing only a
    thousand lines of code a year, realize that the average software
    developer in the US only produces around (brace yourself) 6200 lines a
    year. So Windows is in bad shape -- but only by a constant, not by an
    order of magnitude. And if it makes you feel any better, realize that
    the average US developer has fallen in KLOC productivity since 1999,
    when they produced about 9000 lines a year. So Windows isn't alone in
    this. [KLOC data comes from Worldwide IT Trends & Benchmark Report
    2001, produced by META Group (now acquired by Gartner)]

    The oft-cited, oft-watercooler-discussed dual phenomenon of Windows
    code complexity and Windows process burden seem to have dramatically
    affected its overall code velocity. But code can be simplified and re-
    architected (and is indeed being done so by a collection of veteran
    architects in Windows, none of whom, incidentally, look anything like
    Colonel Sanders). Process can be streamlined where inefficient,
    eliminated where unnecessary.

    But that's not where it ends. There are deeper causes of Windows'
    propensity to slippage.

    Cultured to Slip

    Deep in the bowels of Windows, there remains the whiff of a bygone
    culture of belittlement and aggression. Windows can be a scary place
    to tell the truth.

    When a vice president in Windows asks you whether your team will ship
    on time, they might well have asked you whether they look fat in their
    new Armani suit. The answer to the question is deeply meaningful to
    them. It's certainly true in some sense that they genuinely want to
    know. But in a very important other sense, in a sense that you'll
    come to regret night after night if you get it wrong, there's really
    only one answer you can give.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Think someone got fired when this was publish. More likely someone
    was shot.
    It seems that Microsoft has more security in their corporate offices
    then on their clients desktop.

    Ruben

  7. Re: Microsoft fires people if they notice their security sucks and say so - Linux hires people that do the same thing!

    mrbrklyn wrote:
    > On May 4, 5:56 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Ruben wrote:

    >>> He expected Microsoft not to run Apple products

    >> Why would he expect that? Microsoft develops one of the most popular
    >> software packages for the Mac.
    >>
    >> They also have Linux labs, last I heard.

    > Sure, they also violated the user agreements with Borland years back.

    huh?

    > They have no fear of the law.

    Why would they? They've done little or nothing wrong. Shipping a browser
    and media player with an OS is an anti-trust offense just because everyone
    uses your OS and refuses to adopt half-ass alternatives like Linux? Spare
    me.

    What should be against the law, and what should have resulted in her
    immediate termination, is the "Competition Commissioner" Neelie Kroes
    stating publicly:

    "I want Microsoft's market share to diminish to significantly less than 95%.
    I can't say that it has to be precisely 50% or whatever number, but it has
    to be significantly less than 95%."
    http://blog.actonline.org/2007/09/nellie-kroes-pr.html

    Fine - so let the people decide what OS they want and see what happens...
    wait, the people decided they wanted Windows more than a decade ago, and
    they continue to vote Windows to this very day.

    > They got busted as a monopoly and Gates
    > should probably had been jailed,

    Monopolies aren't against the law.

    > but if one disgruntled programmer
    > having a tough day is more than Trolls can comprehend, imagine if this
    > guy posted something like that, or something like this
    >
    > The Usual Suspects

    Link that Rube is too lazy to post
    http://blogs.msdn.com/philipsu/archi...14/631438.aspx

    > Think someone got fired when this was publish. More likely someone
    > was shot.

    What actually happened was nothing, of course. That was written by Philip
    Su, an ex-Windows developer, and he's still with MS.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=3789. And the original
    article is still available on a MS-hosted blog.

    Which proves, once again, that all the ignorant stupidity Linux "advocates"
    write about MS controlling the media and repressing its employees is just
    more mindless blather by silly wackos. Like you, Rube.

+ Reply to Thread