Infogain and Compiere Form Open Source Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Infogain, a provider in CRM, ERP, and BI solutions and services, has entered
| into an expanded services partnership with California-based Compiere.
| Compiere is active in the open source ERP and CRM space. Under the
| partnership, Infogain will provide operational support to Compiere.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/I...88992-912.html

UAB alum, software entrepreneur returns to Birmingham to speak at commencement

,----[ Quote ]
| She founded Scalix Corp., a maker of open source corporate e-mail software,
| in Palo Alto, Calif., in June 2002. Open source software is available to
| everyone for use free of charge for modifying.
|
| "One of the areas where open source has thrived and grown the most is in
| academic environments and research. It's a way for researchers to share
| knowledge and collaborate with others," she said.
|
| For UAB researchers, she said, open source generates that potential - a way
| of connecting with people doing that same research in other parts of the
| world.
`----

http://www.al.com/business/birmingha...000.xml&coll=2

Recent:

Economic slowdown could boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The economic slowdown in the US could boost demand for open source technology
| and services, analyst firm IDC has claimed.
|
| A recent survey by the company found that 60pc of American firms polled
| increased the percentage of their annual IT budget spent on open source
| technology in 2007. Â*
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...id=single10802

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...on-at-red-hat/

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-990...bj=TheOpenRoad