Off Topic: Desktop evaluation - Linux, Mac OS and Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Since all of the systems are configured roughly the same when processor and
| memory are considered, I expected a very similar experience. I have been
| pleasantly surprised by how responsive both the Linux and Mac based systems
| respond when compared to Windows XP.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=406

It gets worse with ME2.

Recent:

Vista SP1 vs. XP SP2 - Benchmarked

,----[ Quote ]
| So, onto conclusions. *Looking at the data there’s only one conclusion that
| can be drawn - Windows XP SP2 is faster than Windows Vista SP1. *End of
| story. *Out of the fifteen tests carried out, XP SP2 beat Vista SP1 in
| eleven, Vista SP1 beat XP SP2 in two of the tests, and two of the tests
| resulted in a draw. * *
|
| The best result for Vista SP1 was in the single file drive-to-drive copy,
| while the best result for XP SP2 was extracting multiple files from a
| compressed folder. *Given these results and taking into account the
| improvments that SP1 bought to Vista, if I was to go back and compare XP SP2
| with Vista RTM, XP would have hammered Vista even harder. * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1332&tag=nl.e622

Hands off Vista Service Pack

,----[ Quote ]
| It's annoying that despite the Service Pack, Vista still doesn't correctly
| handle backup archives which were generated with its predecessor Windows XP.
| Neither is there a noticeable improvement to notebook battery life. When
| tested, one notebook only worked half as long as with Windows XP. Eight
| further notebooks didn't run differently either in the c't test. There even
| were some entirely new issues, for example with virus scanners. Norton
| Antivirus produces error messages, and Bitdefender Antivirus can't be
| installed any more at al * * *
`----

Vista SP1 Released and Delayed Simultaneously

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing their apparent efforts to take the steam out of Windows Vista,
| Microsoft today announced that the long awaited Windows Vista Service Pack 1
| is being released, but not to Vista users. That’s right, SP1 is now RTM
| (Released to Manufacturing), but won’t be released via any means to end users
| or even system administrators for at least another month and a half. * *
`----

http://itsvista.com/2008/02/vista-sp...imultaneously/

Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, is
| moving on, according to multiple sources of mine.
|
| It’s hard to make the case that Sievert, who was responsible for the
| worldwide introduction of Windows Vista, isn’t being pushed for the
| less-than-enthusiastic public perception of Microsoft’s latest version of
| Windows. Even though Microsoft has moved 100-million-plus copies of Vista,
| many consumers and businesses still consider the new release buggy, sluggish
| and incompatible with existing software and drivers. * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158

Vista's Upgrade: Not Worth the Wait

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft has reported solid sales of Vista, a lot of copies went to
| corporations that tried the program for a few weeks, then downgraded to XP.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...mpaign_id=yhoo

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
| release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
| * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft *
| take this route for the service pack.
`----

Re: Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 stuck in endless reboot loop *

,----[ Quote ]
| My install of the SP1 RC Refesh has gone wrong.
| *
| Everytime I start the computer it says:
|
| Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete
|
| And then reboots, and reboots, and reboots ... I had it rebooting for over an
| hour before I stopped the madness.
| All the safe modes does the same, so how do I uninstall the installer,
| without being able to log in?
`----

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8906&siteid=17

Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista not for pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Although, unlike previous Windows versions, Vista is not available as an
| activation-free version, a number of more or less effective methods were
| quickly found to run Vista without activation. However, this is soon to end.
| According to Microsoft, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista closes two
| vulnerabilities which previously enabled operation of Vista without a
| license. * *
`----

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image. *
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP. * *
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11...mance-dud.html

Vista SP1 won't sacrifice security for compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 will include a significant number of "proactive" security changes,
| DeVaan said. These do not represent fixes for specific vulnerabilities,
| instead they represent Microsoft's efforts to head off potential threats. *
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...24&Itemid=1054

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

`----