Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)? - Linux ; On May 3, 12:48 pm, raylopez99 wrote: > Fortune has a list of the twenty most profitable public companies. > Where's Linux? RHAT? Anything related to Linux? Oh that's right, > Linux is 'not for profit', but for the people, ...

  1. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    On May 3, 12:48 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > Fortune has a list of the twenty most profitable public companies.
    > Where's Linux? RHAT? Anything related to Linux? Oh that's right,
    > Linux is 'not for profit', but for the people, like Marxism. Yeah, we
    > know how that story ended.
    >

    > 2. International Business Machines
    >
    > See more Fortune 500 data for IBM
    > Fortune 500 rank: 15
    > Big Blue's profits rose 10% to $10.4 billion thanks to growth in Asia
    > and other international markets. While corporations may be tightening
    > IT spending, IBM believes it'll benefit from companies looking to find
    > savings by maintaining existing software services.

    IBM is very much a Linux company especially in the 'big iron' area.
    If it were not, then what is the SCO v IBM lawsuit all about then,
    actually I do not think that SCO knows what it is about.

  2. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 17:55:59 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:

    > On May 3, 12:48 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Fortune has a list of the twenty most profitable public companies.
    >> Where's Linux? RHAT? Anything related to Linux? Oh that's right,
    >> Linux is 'not for profit', but for the people, like Marxism. Yeah, we
    >> know how that story ended.
    >>

    >> 2. International Business Machines
    >>
    >> E See more Fortune 500 data for IBM
    >> Fortune 500 rank: 15
    >> Big Blue's profits rose 10% to $10.4 billion thanks to growth in Asia
    >> and other international markets. While corporations may be tightening
    >> IT spending, IBM believes it'll benefit from companies looking to find
    >> savings by maintaining existing software services.
    >>

    > IBM is very much a Linux company especially in the 'big iron' area.
    > If it were not, then what is the SCO v IBM lawsuit all about then,
    > actually I do not think that SCO knows what it is about.

    They don't run Linux on their web server:

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...://www.ibm.com

    Looks like it's running MVS or something that Netcraft doesn't know how to
    fingerprint.

  3. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    "peterwn" wrote in message
    ..
    >IBM is very much a Linux company especially in the 'big iron' area.
    >If it were not, then what is the SCO v IBM lawsuit all about then,
    >actually I do not think that SCO knows what it is about.

    That may be the case, but you don't seem to know what the SCO vs IBM case is
    about either. SCO's claim is that IBM violated the Unix license by
    disclosing AIX information.

  4. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    On May 3, 3:13 pm, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > "peterwn" wrote in message

    > .
    >
    > >IBM is very much a Linux company especially in the 'big iron' area.
    > >If it were not, then what is the SCO v IBM lawsuit all about then,
    > >actually I do not think that SCO knows what it is about.

    > That may be the case, but you don't seem to know what the SCO vs IBM case is
    > about either. SCO's claim is that IBM violated the Unix license by
    > disclosing AIX information.

    Let us start at the very beginning, the original complaint filed by
    SCO in a Utah court on 6 March 2003. This was removed to the Federal
    District Court in Salt Lake City. See:
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/IBM-835-Exhibit_1.pdf noting it is about
    1.2M if you are on dialup as it is a scan of the original document.

    This starts talking about Linux at para 74. Para 84 contains thhe
    hilarious statement about Linux being like a bicycle with UNIX like a
    luxury car. In para 91, SCO effectively accuses IBM of utilising
    proprietary UNIX staff to help beef up Linux to luxury car status.
    This is why I say it is a Linux case with alleged 'disclosure' of AIX
    of information being a link in the chain.

    With the greatest of respect, Amicus, I suggest you think a bit harder
    before passing personal comments.

    I do agree that the whole thing has gone down a convoluted twisted
    path since this March 2003 filing such that anyone could be excused
    for not really unserstanding what the case is about.

  5. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    peterwn wrote:

    > With the greatest of respect, Amicus, I suggest you think a bit harder
    > before passing personal comments.

    Amicus the troll needs to think, period.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

    Good to the last supper

  6. Re: Where's Linux (most profitable companies list)?

    "peterwn" wrote in message
    > On May 3, 3:13 pm, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >> "peterwn" wrote in message

    >> .
    >>
    >> >IBM is very much a Linux company especially in the 'big iron' area.
    >> >If it were not, then what is the SCO v IBM lawsuit all about then,
    >> >actually I do not think that SCO knows what it is about.

    >> That may be the case, but you don't seem to know what the SCO vs IBM case
    >> is
    >> about either. SCO's claim is that IBM violated the Unix license by
    >> disclosing AIX information.

    > With the greatest of respect, Amicus, I suggest you think a bit harder
    > before passing personal comments.

    I do not see how you can read that torturous document and miss the fact that
    everything in it is in regard to IBM violating its contractual rights versus
    Unix System V by disclosing elements of it to open source. Linux is only
    peripheral to the case.

+ Reply to Thread