increase number of inodes on ext3 - Linux

This is a discussion on increase number of inodes on ext3 - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly: > * Martha Adams peremptorily fired off this memo: >>> -- You see, antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are >>> simply bugs that must be programmed out of our world. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: increase number of inodes on ext3

    > * Martha Adams peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> -- You see, antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are
    >>> simply bugs that must be programmed out of our world. And these
    >>> cold, unfeeling machines will show us the way. -- Bill Gates

    >> What! That Gates quote: can someone provide a complete attribution
    >> for it? When; where; in what context? ?? I need it!

    > Google for this phrase, in quotes:
    >
    > antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are simply bugs
    >
    > I found that quote some place, but I'm not sure you'll find anything
    > obtainable from a first-hand source.

    It's from (I assume) a spoof interview done by pointlesswasteoftime.com
    (PWOT) in 2000, which is now defunct and replaced by cracked.com. The
    article does not seem to have been preserved on Cracked, but Google
    still has a copy in its cache:

    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...=uk&lr=lang_en

    I've mirrored it here:

    http://slated.org/pwot_bill_gates_interview

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:31:42 up 136 days, 1:07, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

  2. Re: increase number of inodes on ext3

    On 2008-05-03, alt wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:17:43 -0700, ronocgly wrote:
    >
    >> I need to increase the number of inodes on an ext3 filesystem. (it is a
    >> legacy application that writes millions of small files, I cannot tar
    >> them them up or move to a diff fs). I was wondering if there was a way
    >> to increase the number of inodes on the filesystem on the fly, or would
    >> it be safer or perhaps the only option for me to get downtime move the
    >> data off and recreate the fs with a smaller number of bytes- per-inode,
    >> hence giving me a larger number of inodes? Any help would be
    >> appreciated.
    >> conor

    > I've seen some other posts here and there are some good ideas, but I
    > think I'd do this way:

    ....this is just a mind boggling simple production support maintenance
    issue. Even in the absolute worst case, this is all that this is.

    [deletia]

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: increase number of inodes on ext3

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, ronocgly

    wrote
    on Fri, 2 May 2008 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
    <80a7dd23-3aa7-4f83-82a8-72a5fc9da65f@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>:
    > I need to increase the number of inodes on an ext3 filesystem. (it is
    > a legacy application that writes millions of small files, I cannot tar
    > them them up or move to a diff fs). I was wondering if there was a way
    > to increase the number of inodes on the filesystem on the fly, or
    > would it be safer or perhaps the only option for me to get downtime
    > move the data off and recreate the fs with a smaller number of bytes-
    > per-inode, hence giving me a larger number of inodes? Any help would
    > be appreciated.
    > conor

    As far as I can tell, this cannot currently be done.
    'tune2fs' has some interesting options, but increasing
    the inode count is not among them. You'll need that
    down time, and possibly a larger storage device as well.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2