Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?") - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?") - Linux ; http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1 GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway? Users of GRUB legacy, which is version 0.97, are getting bitten by an e2fsprogs incompatibility that renders their systems unbootable. e2fsprogs is the utilities package for the Ext3 filesystem, ...

  1. Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?")

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1

    GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway?

    Users of GRUB legacy, which is version 0.97, are getting bitten by an
    e2fsprogs incompatibility that renders their systems unbootable. e2fsprogs
    is the utilities package for the Ext3 filesystem, so it doesn't affect other
    filesystems. As this Ubuntu bug report states:

    The bug report says that there is a fix using grub-install, but I tried it
    and it didn't fix anything. This particular little bug apparently took a lot
    of people, including distribution maintainers, by surprise, with the result
    that some new installations were unbootable. Another way to bump into it is
    to create a new Ext3 filesystem on a multiboot system. It will install quite
    happily, in a normal fashion, and let you install a new Linux on it. Then
    when you try to boot into your new installation GRUB barfs with "Error 2:
    unknown file or directory type". GRUB does not recognize the new filesystem
    in any way, so dropping to the GRUB commandline for repairs does no good. If
    your GRUB bootfiles are installed on the new filesystem, you won't even get
    to the GRUB menu or command line.

  2. Re: Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?")

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:52:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1
    >

    > GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway?
    >
    > Users of GRUB legacy, which is version 0.97, are getting bitten by an
    > e2fsprogs incompatibility that renders their systems unbootable. e2fsprogs
    > is the utilities package for the Ext3 filesystem, so it doesn't affect other
    > filesystems. As this Ubuntu bug report states:
    >
    > The bug report says that there is a fix using grub-install, but I tried it
    > and it didn't fix anything. This particular little bug apparently took a lot
    > of people, including distribution maintainers, by surprise, with the result
    > that some new installations were unbootable. Another way to bump into it is
    > to create a new Ext3 filesystem on a multiboot system. It will install quite
    > happily, in a normal fashion, and let you install a new Linux on it. Then
    > when you try to boot into your new installation GRUB barfs with "Error 2:
    > unknown file or directory type". GRUB does not recognize the new filesystem
    > in any way, so dropping to the GRUB commandline for repairs does no good. If
    > your GRUB bootfiles are installed on the new filesystem, you won't even get
    > to the GRUB menu or command line.

    That sounds similar to the problem my friend had with Linux trashing her
    system.
    I posted about it yesterday,

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?")

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?")

    On 2008-05-02, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1
    >

    > GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway?

    Got a bootable optical drive? Then you've got a bootable system.

    Next lame troll...

    [deletia]

    Potentially inconvenient? Perhaps.
    Fatal? Nope.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: Linux Planet - Linux utilities render linux machines unbootable ("Who needs a bootable system anyway?")

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Mon, 5 May 2008 16:49:05 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-05-02, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1
    >>

    >> GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway?

    > Got a bootable optical drive? Then you've got a bootable system.

    Pedant Point: Only if one can change the BIOS settings. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }