I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason... - Linux

This is a discussion on I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason... - Linux ; Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their own images on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which
    forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It
    turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their
    own images on the greenbacks.

    Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    his creations.

    One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    internally used tool.

    -Ramon

  2. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 19:06:41 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    I always thought the Reiser file system was killer....
    Impossible to *hack*.
    Dead spot on....

    Looks like I was right..

    So why are you Linux loons abandoning it?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 1, 10:06 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which
    > forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It
    > turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their
    > own images on the greenbacks.
    >
    > Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    > slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    > the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    > his creations.
    >
    > One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    > initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    > internally used tool.
    >
    > -Ramon

    For completeness, one should add the case of "biff", a Unix command
    that was used to alert the user about incoming e-mail. Its author went
    through a convoluted explanation about the origin of the program's
    name. He initially claimed that "biff" stood for "Be Informed If and
    From" or a similar nonsense.

    Finally he acknowledged the truth: the real Biff was his daughther's
    dog (I even recall her name: Heidi) who -true to his canian nature-
    always barked when the mailman came.

    Bottom line: the little critter had no input in the naming of the
    command, so no hypersized ego here, either.

    -Ramon

    "Killing somebody is the ultimate egotistical act."
    -Me

  4. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > I always thought the Reiser file system was killer....
    > Impossible to *hack*. Dead spot on.... Looks like I was
    > right.. So why are you Linux loons abandoning it?

    He has not a clue what gives him away. The more he replies, the
    more he reveals who he is.

    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  5. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    Ramon F Herrera writes:

    > Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which
    > forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It
    > turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their
    > own images on the greenbacks.
    >
    > Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    > slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    > the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    > his creations.

    You are joking? Loads of things bear the name of their inventor.

    > One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    > initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    > internally used tool.
    >
    > -Ramon

    Still, I thinly veiled attempt at jumping from the sinking ship I guess.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

  6. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason... (linux fanbois flee sinking ship)

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    > Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which
    > forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It
    > turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their
    > own images on the greenbacks.
    >
    > Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    > slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    > the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    > his creations.
    >
    > One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    > initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    > internally used tool.

    Hysterical. A year or two ago the Reiser FS was touted as being so
    wonderful and fast and a example of linux innovation. But now there seems
    to be a race to see which linux fanboi can distances themselves from this
    filesystem the fastest.

    "I never liked ReiserFS"... "it was never really that good"... "there are
    better alternatives..."

  7. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 1, 10:06 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    > slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    > the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    > his creations.

    Linus didn't come up with the name. He just offered the 10,000 line
    Kernel for people to "play with" to see if they wanted to jazz it up.
    When people started offering suggestions, he decided to roll those
    suggestions into his little kernel. Back in 1991, people were
    referring to it as Linus' *Nix and it quickly became Linux. Which was
    a knockoff of MINUX, which stood for Minux Is Not UniX, so Linux
    stands for Linux Is Not UniX.

    The name itself disavows any direct association with Unix.

    > One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    > initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    > internally used tool.

    Of course most of AT&T's enterprises were named after the original
    inventor of the Telephone, Alexander Graham Bell, including most of
    the local telephone companies.

    There was also Consolidated Edison, which was the first electric
    company to create an electrical distribution system.

    Steve Jobs named his first GUI based computer the Lisa, after his
    daughter.

    IBM has several facilities named after founder T.J. Watson.

    > -Ramon

  8. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason... (linux fanbois flee sinking ship)

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 07:55:00 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Sometime in the 19th. century, US Congress had to pass a law which
    >> forbid the placement of alive people's images in our currency. It
    >> turned out that the administrators of the US Mint were placing their
    >> own images on the greenbacks.
    >>
    >> Perhaps Linux Torvalds can be excused: after all he didn't have the
    >> slightest idea that Linux would become so popular. Not even a guy with
    >> the ego the size of a galaxy, like RMS, would place his own name in
    >> his creations.
    >>
    >> One could argue that Aho, Weinberger and Kernighan only used their
    >> initials, and then again their creation was initially just a small,
    >> internally used tool.

    > Hysterical. A year or two ago the Reiser FS was touted as being so
    > wonderful and fast and a example of linux innovation. But now there seems
    > to be a race to see which linux fanboi can distances themselves from this
    > filesystem the fastest.
    >
    > "I never liked ReiserFS"... "it was never really that good"... "there are
    > better alternatives..."

    Linux is like a cult.

    Either you are a part of the cult or you are not and should you not follow
    everything the cult wants they kick you out and disown you.

    Cola Linux 'advocates' are just like the Mafia.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason... (linux fanbois flee sinking ship)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 2, 7:14 am, Hadron wrote:

    > You are joking? Loads of things bear the name of their inventor.

    Gee... You don't say. I thought F.O.R.D. stood for some acronym.

    I am specifically referring to a collaborative software product that
    one is pushing to become a standard, and we are talking about a
    *filesystem*, no less.

    I am talking about naming something after yourself, not like Ford did:
    "this is my company, I make these cars without the help of anyone, and
    I name them any damn way I please. I will name them after me".

    The second I saw that Reiser named the software after himself, I
    decided I didn't want anything to do with it, and this was a long time
    before the assassination.

    If you want to name software after somebody, name it after a green
    frog, or something. Either that or don't expect any collaboration from
    the community.

    -RFH

  11. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    > On May 2, 7:14 am, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> You are joking? Loads of things bear the name of their inventor.

    > Gee... You don't say. I thought F.O.R.D. stood for some acronym.
    >
    > I am specifically referring to a collaborative software product that
    > one is pushing to become a standard, and we are talking about a
    > *filesystem*, no less.
    >
    > I am talking about naming something after yourself, not like Ford did:
    > "this is my company, I make these cars without the help of anyone, and
    > I name them any damn way I please. I will name them after me".
    >
    > The second I saw that Reiser named the software after himself, I
    > decided I didn't want anything to do with it, and this was a long time
    > before the assassination.
    >
    > If you want to name software after somebody, name it after a green
    > frog, or something. Either that or don't expect any collaboration from
    > the community.

    You mean how Linus named Linux after himself.

    Oh that's right... "perhaps that can be excused" - how convenient to excuse
    and make exceptions for anything that doesn't fit your view of the world.

  12. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 2, 5:08*am, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > > Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > > I always thought the Reiser file system was killer....
    > > Impossible to *hack*. Dead spot on.... Looks like I was
    > > right.. So why are you Linux loons abandoning it?

    > He has not a clue what gives him away. *The more he replies, the
    > more he reveals who he is.
    >
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html

    Ironic. The same thing can be said about you and your nyms.

  13. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 2, 1:47 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in messagenews:bf787656-4070-447c-baf5-e3a7a9606040@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...
    >

    > > On May 2, 7:14 am, Hadron wrote:

    > >> You are joking? Loads of things bear the name of their inventor.

    > > Gee... You don't say. I thought F.O.R.D. stood for some acronym.

    > > I am specifically referring to a collaborative software product that
    > > one is pushing to become a standard, and we are talking about a
    > > *filesystem*, no less.

    > > I am talking about naming something after yourself, not like Ford did:
    > > "this is my company, I make these cars without the help of anyone, and
    > > I name them any damn way I please. I will name them after me".

    > > The second I saw that Reiser named the software after himself, I
    > > decided I didn't want anything to do with it, and this was a long time
    > > before the assassination.

    > > If you want to name software after somebody, name it after a green
    > > frog, or something. Either that or don't expect any collaboration from
    > > the community.

    > You mean how Linus named Linux after himself.
    >
    > Oh that's right... "perhaps that can be excused" - how convenient to excuse
    > and make exceptions for anything that doesn't fit your view of the world.

    Your attempts to equate both cases are straw grasping. Linus Torvalds
    has given more than enough demonstration that his creation is separate
    from his persona. If LT retired or died tomorrow (God bless) his
    "child" will continue growing successfully. He can be replaced.

    Not sure that we can say the same about Reifer.

    Incidentally: Only *one* Linux distro included ReiferFS: Novell. And
    they are not including it anymore. RedHat, Ubuntu and everybody else
    have always used the ext3 filesystem.

    Let this be a lesson for anyone wanting to make such ridiculous
    display of ego.

    -Ramon

    George: "Sure, let start an independent republic, but it has to be
    named "Washingtonia""
    Tom: "No way, George, the name that makes sense is "Jeffersonia""
    John: "What!? "Adamsania" is more like it!"
    Abe: "Screw yourselves!..., the name must be..."

  14. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    On May 2, 1:47 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in messagenews:bf787656-4070-447c-baf5-e3a7a9606040@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...
    >

    > > On May 2, 7:14 am, Hadron wrote:

    > >> You are joking? Loads of things bear the name of their inventor.

    > > Gee... You don't say. I thought F.O.R.D. stood for some acronym.

    > > I am specifically referring to a collaborative software product that
    > > one is pushing to become a standard, and we are talking about a
    > > *filesystem*, no less.

    > > I am talking about naming something after yourself, not like Ford did:
    > > "this is my company, I make these cars without the help of anyone, and
    > > I name them any damn way I please. I will name them after me".

    > > The second I saw that Reiser named the software after himself, I
    > > decided I didn't want anything to do with it, and this was a long time
    > > before the assassination.

    > > If you want to name software after somebody, name it after a green
    > > frog, or something. Either that or don't expect any collaboration from
    > > the community.

    > You mean how Linus named Linux after himself.
    >
    > Oh that's right... "perhaps that can be excused" - how convenient to excuse
    > and make exceptions for anything that doesn't fit your view of the world.
    >
    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

    Your attempts to equate both cases are straw grasping. Linus Torvalds
    has given more than enough demonstration that his creation is separate
    from his persona. If LT retired or died tomorrow (God bless) his
    "child" will continue growing successfully. He can be replaced.

    Not sure that we can say the same about Reifer.

    Incidentally: Only *one* Linux distro included ReiferFS: Novell. And
    they are not including it anymore. RedHat, Ubuntu and everybody else
    have always used the ext3 filesystem.

    Let this be a lesson for anyone wanting to make such ridiculous
    display of ego.

    -Ramon

    George: "Sure, let start an independent republic, but it has to be
    named "Washingtonia""
    Tom: "No way, George, the name that makes sense is "Jeffersonia""
    John: "What!? "Adamsania" is more like it!"
    Abe: "Screw yourselves!..., the name must be..."

  15. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    > On May 2, 1:47 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in
    >> messagenews:bf787656-4070-447c-baf5-e3a7a9606040@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...

    >> > Gee... You don't say. I thought F.O.R.D. stood for some acronym.

    >> > I am specifically referring to a collaborative software product that
    >> > one is pushing to become a standard, and we are talking about a
    >> > *filesystem*, no less.

    >> > I am talking about naming something after yourself, not like Ford did:
    >> > "this is my company, I make these cars without the help of anyone, and
    >> > I name them any damn way I please. I will name them after me".

    >> > The second I saw that Reiser named the software after himself, I
    >> > decided I didn't want anything to do with it, and this was a long time
    >> > before the assassination.

    >> > If you want to name software after somebody, name it after a green
    >> > frog, or something. Either that or don't expect any collaboration from
    >> > the community.

    >> You mean how Linus named Linux after himself.
    >>
    >> Oh that's right... "perhaps that can be excused" - how convenient to
    >> excuse
    >> and make exceptions for anything that doesn't fit your view of the world.
    >>
    >> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

    > Your attempts to equate both cases are straw grasping. Linus Torvalds
    > has given more than enough demonstration that his creation is separate
    > from his persona. If LT retired or died tomorrow (God bless) his
    > "child" will continue growing successfully. He can be replaced.

    So it's okay for Linus to name Linux after himself because linux turned out
    to be successful?

    > Not sure that we can say the same about Reifer.
    >
    > Incidentally: Only *one* Linux distro included ReiferFS: Novell.

    Wrong. *Most* distros included ReiserFS. It was also the default FS on
    several distros (Suse, Elive, Xandros, Yoper, Linspire, GoboLinux and
    Kurumin)

    > And they are not including it anymore.

    Wrong again. Most distros still *include* Reiser FS. If not they would
    really, really screw any existing users that had data on Reiser partitions.

    > RedHat, Ubuntu and everybody else have always used the ext3 filesystem.

    "Everybody else" hasn't always used ext3. See above list (Elive, Xandros,
    etc.)

    > Let this be a lesson for anyone wanting to make such
    > ridiculous display of ego.

    Wow... since *you* personally don't like it I'm sure that everyone else will
    be shivering in their shoes. They sure learned their "lesson" because of
    something *you* don't like.

    Talk about a "ridiculous display of ego" - go look in the mirror.

  16. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    [c]arbon [c]opy wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> I always thought the Reiser file system was killer.... Impossible to
    >>> *hack*. Dead spot on.... Looks like I was right.. So why are you Linux
    >>> loons abandoning it?

    >> He has not a clue what gives him away. *The more he replies, the more
    >> he reveals who he is.
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >>

    > Ironic. The same thing can be said about you and your nyms.

    like HPT@albasani.net, HPT@cnntp.org, HPT@gmail.com, HPT@linuxmail.org,
    Takai Heiya No Sampa (HPT in Japanese), Hoge Vlaktes Thumper (Dutch).

    Yeppers, another illiterate troll incapable of reading headers, grasping
    at straws. Another CC of [H]adron.

    --
    HPT

  17. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    "High Plains Thumper" schreef in
    bericht newsan.2008.05.02.19.34.08.782000@invalid.invalid.com. ..
    > [c]arbon [c]opy wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> He has not a clue what gives him away. The more he replies, the more
    >>> he reveals who he is.
    >>>
    >>> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >>>

    >> Ironic. The same thing can be said about you and your nyms.

    > like HPT@albasani.net, HPT@cnntp.org, HPT@gmail.com, HPT@linuxmail.org,
    > Takai Heiya No Sampa (HPT in Japanese),
    > Hoge Vlaktes Thumper (Dutch).

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You ****ing illiterate gormless tit.
    Nederlands (Dutch)
    stompen, kwakken/ smijten, bonken, bonzen, opdonder, dreun

    Français (French)
    v. tr. - donner un coup de poing * (qn), donner un coup de poing sur (table)
    v. intr. - battre violemment, résonner, marteler, marcher * pas lourds
    n. - (grand) coup, bruit sourd

    Dansk (Danish)
    v. tr. - dunke, støde, slå, banke, hamre, tæske
    v. intr. - dundre
    n. - dunk, dumpt og tungt slag

    Deutsch (German)
    n. - (dumpfer) Schlag, Plumps, Pochen
    v. - heftig pochen, schlagen, hämmern, poltern

    Ελληνική (Greek)
    n. - πλήγμα, χτύπημα, βρόντος, γδούπος, γροθιά
    v. - κτυπώ, κοπανάω, βροντοκοπάω, δονούμαι *ντονα

    Italiano (Italian)
    prendere a pugni, picchiare, botta, schianto

    Português (Portuguese)
    n. - batida (f), golpe (m), pancada (f), soco (m)
    v. - esmurrar, bater, latejar, agredir

    *усский (Russian)
    сильно ударить кого-л., избить кого-л., колошматить кого-л., сильно ударить
    (по столу и т.д.), сильный удар

    Español (Spanish)
    v. tr. - golpear, aporrear, dar una paliza, dar golpes, latir con fuerza
    v. intr. - golpear, aporrear, dar una paliza, dar golpes, latir con fuerza
    n. - puñetazo, porrazo, ruido sordo

    Svenska (Swedish)
    n. - dunk, slag, stöt, smäll, duns
    v. - dunka på, slå på, puckla på, dunka, bulta, hamra, banka

    *文(简体) (Chinese (Simplified))
    重击, 捶击, 使*然作声, 猛揍, 用力弹奏, 蹬蹬地走, *然作声, **地跳, 重打, 重击声, *然声

    *文(繁體) (Chinese (Traditional))
    v. tr. - 重擊, 捶擊, 使*然作聲, 猛揍, 用力彈奏
    v. intr. - 重擊, 捶擊, 蹬蹬地走, *然作聲, **地跳
    n. - 重打, 重擊聲, *然聲

    한*어 (Korean)
    v. tr. - 탁 치다, 후*갈기다, ~에 크게 이기다
    v. intr. - 쿵 하* 치다, 쿵쿵거리며 걷다, 두근거리다
    n. - 때림, 탁하는 소리, 딸꾹질

    日本語 (Japanese)
    v. - ゴツンと打つ, ドシンドシンと*く, ドシンと音を立てる
    n. - 強打, ゴツンという音
    adv. - ゴツンと

    العربيه (Arabic)
    ‏(الاسم) ضرة شيء كليل أو ثقيل (فعل) يضرب م*دثا صوتا مكتوما‏

    עברית (Hebrew)
    v. tr. - *היכה קשה, בעיקר באגרוף, *יגן בכבדות על פס*תר, פעם חזק‬
    v. intr. - *רמס בכבדות‬
    n. - *מהלומה, חבטה, קול חבטה

    > Yeppers, another illiterate troll incapable of reading headers, grasping
    > at straws. Another CC of [H]adron.

    HighPlainsThumper_Rafael_GeorgeHostler_WendyToilet water_RobinTCox_Liar__****sucker_Retard_Nymshifter _NetKKKop_Netnanny
    = an idiot!

    > --
    > HPT

  18. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    * Clogwog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    Thanks for reminding me. Buh bye!

    --
    Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
    -- Bill Gates

  19. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    Clogwog wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >> [c]arbon [c]opy wrote:

    >>> Ironic. The same thing can be said about you and your
    >>> nyms.

    >> like HPT@albasani.net, HPT@cnntp.org, HPT@gmail.com,
    >> HPT@linuxmail.org, Takai Heiya No Sampa (HPT in Japanese),
    >> Hoge Vlaktes Thumper (Dutch).

    > BW

    Thumper - single cylinder motorcycle. Goes thump - thump - thump.

    Jeez, the trolls in this newsgroup are illiterate.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  20. Re: I never liked the ReiserFS for one simple reason...

    KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote:

    > like
    >
    > Hi

    Jeez, Cloggy woggy has to resort to illegal posting of one's
    personal information without prior consent. Then on top of it,
    information is out of date. But what the hey, can't expect
    trolls in this newsgroup to get anything right.

    Trolls in this newsgroup seem to be getting stupider every day.