lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix - Linux

This is a discussion on lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix - Linux ; mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix. i HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves. http://www.osnews.com/story/19705 cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco...

  1. lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix. i
    HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19705

    cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

  2. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE wrote:

    > mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix.
    > i HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.
    >

    > http://www.osnews.com/story/19705
    >
    > cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

    Idiot!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 02 May 2008 02:03 : \____

    > cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE wrote:
    >
    >> mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix.
    >> i HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.
    >>

    >> http://www.osnews.com/story/19705
    >>
    >> cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

    > Idiot!

    I think he was joking. See

    Deluded SCO CEO on witness stand: "Linux is a copy of UNIX"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Novell grilled McBride for the better part of 10 minutes about "filling a
    | form 10-K or 10-Q with the SEC that contained a false statement." Novell's
    | counsel reiterated that two separate 10-Q forms filed by SCO did not include
    | Sun or Microsoft revenue generated by UnixWare licenses. McBride adamantly
    | denied any wrong doing, saying that the licenses were for the trunk of SCO
    | intellectual property consisting of multiple brands, not the UnixWare product
    | branch. This was the most hostile point of the day, with the council asking
    | him the same question in several different ways. After two hours on the
    | stand, McBride stepped down.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...y-of-unix.html

    It also says "SCO played with fire..... and got burned." Tagged "SCOWned!".
    Very funny.

    Also see the picture of the tree here:

    Transcripts!! Days 1 and 2 of Novell v. SCO

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So it's both trunk and branch. Hahahaha. Just like in nature. Here's the
    | diagram again, so you can see how silly this argument is:
    |
    | Do you see UnixWare depicted as both the trunk and the branch?? Oops. Is it
    | my all-time favorite SCO story? Hard to say, with so many SCO stories to
    | choose from, but it's got to be Top Ten.
    `----

    SCO: providing humour for GNU/Linux users since bankruptcy filing in 2007.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
    Cpu(s): 23.9%us, 3.5%sy, 1.0%ni, 67.3%id, 4.0%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 05:19:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 02 May 2008 02:03 : \____
    >
    >> cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE wrote:
    >>
    >>> mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix.
    >>> i HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.
    >>>

    >>> http://www.osnews.com/story/19705
    >>>
    >>> cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

    >> Idiot!

    > I think he was joking. See

    You Roy Schestowitz are so utterly boring you wouldn't know a joke if it
    fell on top of your flat head.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:28:39 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > About the closest Linux ever came to being Linux was when Caldera
    > attempted to pass the X/Open Unix/95 compatibility certification.

    ITYM: About the closest Linux ever came to being _Unix_ ....

  6. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 02 May 2008 02:03 : \____
    >
    >> cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE wrote:
    >>
    >>> mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST
    >>> A COPY OF unix. i HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.osnews.com/story/19705
    >>>
    >>> cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

    >> Idiot!

    That is obvious, especially the schizophrenic spelling of name.
    Just the work of another troll.

    > I think he was joking. See
    >
    > Deluded SCO CEO on witness stand: "Linux is a copy of UNIX"
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> Novell grilled McBride for the better part of 10 minutes
    >> about "filling a form 10-K or 10-Q with the SEC that
    >> contained a false statement." Novell's counsel reiterated
    >> that two separate 10-Q forms filed by SCO did not include
    >> Sun or Microsoft revenue generated by UnixWare licenses.
    >> McBride adamantly denied any wrong doing, saying that the
    >> licenses were for the trunk of SCO intellectual property
    >> consisting of multiple brands, not the UnixWare product
    >> branch. This was the most hostile point of the day, with the
    >> council asking him the same question in several different
    >> ways. After two hours on the stand, McBride stepped down.

    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...y-of-unix.html

    Article also states,

    SALT LAKE CITY—Last August, the nail was poised over SCO's coffin
    when Judge Dale Kimball ruled that Novell never relinquished the
    copyrights to UNIX, but nobody really knew when it would be
    driven home. The decision meant that SCO could be on the hook for
    as much as $20 million in unpaid royalties. Not long afterwards,
    SCO filed for bankruptcy, but that Chapter 11 filing was only
    able to delay the inevitable trial to determine how much Novell
    was owed. That long-awaited trial began this week, and Ars was on
    hand to report.
    Related Stories

    Last year, the court ruled that Novell owned the copyrights to
    original AT&T UNIX source code and derivatives, including SVRX
    (System V, Release X), and threw out the case. Now, the
    countersuit brought by Novell is being heard, and should be
    finished up this week. Novell has repeatedly said it has no
    interest in suing Linux users over UNIX copyrights, which would
    be against its interests now that Novell has ties to the
    open-source community through openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise Linux
    Server and Desktop distributions.
    I believe the authors of Linux and related have been very careful
    to avoid this so called software patents entanglement, as you
    have expressed through your posting articles as such. Of course,
    they can't help it if someone patented Pythagoras' theorem.
    Ideal of software patents need to be trashed unless they are tied
    to a hardware event, per UK's patent office.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  7. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Friday 02 May 2008 10:20 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 02 May 2008 02:03 : \____

    >>> Idiot!

    > That is obvious, especially the schizophrenic spelling of name.
    > Just the work of another troll.
    >
    >> I think he was joking. See
    >>
    >> Deluded SCO CEO on witness stand: "Linux is a copy of UNIX"
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Novell grilled McBride for the better part of 10 minutes
    >>> about "filling a form 10-K or 10-Q with the SEC that
    >>> contained a false statement." Novell's counsel reiterated
    >>> that two separate 10-Q forms filed by SCO did not include
    >>> Sun or Microsoft revenue generated by UnixWare licenses.
    >>> McBride adamantly denied any wrong doing, saying that the
    >>> licenses were for the trunk of SCO intellectual property
    >>> consisting of multiple brands, not the UnixWare product
    >>> branch. This was the most hostile point of the day, with the
    >>> council asking him the same question in several different
    >>> ways. After two hours on the stand, McBride stepped down.

    >> `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...y-of-unix.html

    > Article also states,
    >

    > SALT LAKE CITY—Last August, the nail was poised over SCO's coffin
    > when Judge Dale Kimball ruled that Novell never relinquished the
    > copyrights to UNIX, but nobody really knew when it would be
    > driven home. The decision meant that SCO could be on the hook for
    > as much as $20 million in unpaid royalties. Not long afterwards,
    > SCO filed for bankruptcy, but that Chapter 11 filing was only
    > able to delay the inevitable trial to determine how much Novell
    > was owed. That long-awaited trial began this week, and Ars was on
    > hand to report.
    > Related Stories
    >
    > Last year, the court ruled that Novell owned the copyrights to
    > original AT&T UNIX source code and derivatives, including SVRX
    > (System V, Release X), and threw out the case. Now, the
    > countersuit brought by Novell is being heard, and should be
    > finished up this week. Novell has repeatedly said it has no
    > interest in suing Linux users over UNIX copyrights, which would
    > be against its interests now that Novell has ties to the
    > open-source community through openSUSE and SUSE Enterprise Linux
    > Server and Desktop distributions.
    >

    > I believe the authors of Linux and related have been very careful
    > to avoid this so called software patents entanglement, as you
    > have expressed through your posting articles as such. Of course,
    > they can't help it if someone patented Pythagoras' theorem.
    > Ideal of software patents need to be trashed unless they are tied
    > to a hardware event, per UK's patent office.

    Physical byproduct.

    Patents in general have all sorts of issues (speaking of the ethics of patents
    in medicine and surgery, for example -- patents that kill).

    Software patents involve no manufacturing though. It's like patenting auro...
    or air.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The only source is Open Source"
    Tasks: 132 total, 1 running, 131 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  8. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    On May 2, 3:52 am, alt wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:28:39 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > > About the closest Linux ever came to being Linux was when Caldera
    > > attempted to pass the X/Open Unix/95 compatibility certification.

    > ITYM: About the closest Linux ever came to being _Unix_ ....

    Correct. Sorry about that, thanks for the correction.

  9. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    * cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > mY LATEST SUPER DUPER TESTIMONY PROVES THAT lINUX IS JUST A COPY OF unix. i
    > HAVE YOU now lINUX thieves.
    >
    > http://www.osnews.com/story/19705
    >
    > cHIEF dARL mCbRIDE, sco

    Darl, you done gone nuts:

    Darl McBride, CEO of SCO, was up next. His answers were... Peculiar,
    to say the least. He stated that SCO holds the copyrights over UNIX,
    and that "many Linux contributors were originally UNIX developers. We
    have evidence System V is in Linux." Which contradicts the statements
    made by Sontag, but as Ars explains, due to the witness exclusion
    rule, McBride was not present during the testimony of Sontag. McBride
    had one throwaway remark, one that really shows how much this man has
    lost touch with reality - which may probably be the most opinionated
    remark ever in an OSNews news item, but just read what he had to say,
    and you can do nothing but agree with me. McBride said:

    Linux is a copy of UNIX, there is no difference [between them].

    If McBride /ever/ goes into a cell, it will be padded.

    --
    Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner wasn't paid
    for. So yes. -- Bill Gates, On his use of YouTube to watch videos. "Bill Gates

  10. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    Liarnut wrote:
    > --
    > Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner

    wasn't paid
    > for. So yes. -- Bill Gates, On his use of YouTube to watch videos.

    "Bill Gates
    > on ...the Competition" in The Wall Street Journal (19 June 2006);

    also quoted
    > in "Bill Gates' piracy confession" at ComputerWorld.com

    Of course, whether from the net or from work. Why would I pay $50 for
    an app I will use one time?

    Especially since hypocrites such as yourself have no qualms about
    pirating whole operating systems and office suites.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...&output=gplain

  11. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    * James peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Liarnut wrote:
    > > --
    > > Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner

    > wasn't paid
    > > for. So yes. -- Bill Gates, On his use of YouTube to watch videos.

    > "Bill Gates
    > > on ...the Competition" in The Wall Street Journal (19 June 2006);

    > also quoted
    > > in "Bill Gates' piracy confession" at ComputerWorld.com

    > Of course, whether from the net or from work. Why would I pay $50 for
    > an app I will use one time?
    >
    > Especially since hypocrites such as yourself have no qualms about
    > pirating whole operating systems and office suites.
    >

    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...&output=gplain

    Aw, some asshole brings up that old post to try to discredit me, just
    because I included an old clip from his Fearless Leader, who has
    commandeered more intellectual property than I've ever /used/.

    What he doesn't bother to include is the whole follow-on, where I
    indicate that I, in the end, did not use that software, though not for a
    good reason (it was French). Where I admit that I stupidly did not
    realize the existence of a free solution already -- GNU Parted. Where I
    admit the error of my thinking, and vow to do without rather than
    downloading a piece of commercial software.

    Can "James" say the same thing?

    I have kept to that vow strictly. People make mistakes. Honest
    people admit to them and try to do better. I try /hard/ to be honest.

    I ****ed up. I've moved on.

    --
    It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons
    of failure.

  12. Re: Linux is NOT a copy of UNIX

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Friday :
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...y-of-unix.html
    >
    >> Article also states,

    SALT LAKE CITY—Last August, the nail was poised over
    >> SCO's coffin when Judge Dale Kimball ruled that Novell never
    >> relinquished the copyrights to UNIX, but nobody really knew
    >> when it would be driven home. The decision meant that SCO
    >> could be on the hook for as much as $20 million in unpaid
    >> royalties. Not long afterwards, SCO filed for bankruptcy,
    >> but that Chapter 11 filing was only able to delay the
    >> inevitable trial to determine how much Novell was owed. That
    >> long-awaited trial began this week, and Ars was on hand to
    >> report. Related Stories
    >>
    >> Last year, the court ruled that Novell owned the copyrights
    >> to original AT&T UNIX source code and derivatives, including
    >> SVRX (System V, Release X), and threw out the case. Now, the
    >> countersuit brought by Novell is being heard, and should be
    >> finished up this week. Novell has repeatedly said it has no
    >> interest in suing Linux users over UNIX copyrights, which
    >> would be against its interests now that Novell has ties to
    >> the open-source community through openSUSE and SUSE
    >> Enterprise Linux Server and Desktop distributions.
    >>
    >> I believe the authors of Linux and related have been very
    >> careful to avoid this so called software patents
    >> entanglement, as you have expressed through your posting
    >> articles as such. Of course, they can't help it if someone
    >> patented Pythagoras' theorem. Ideal of software patents need
    >> to be trashed unless they are tied to a hardware event, per
    >> UK's patent office.

    > Physical byproduct.
    >
    > Patents in general have all sorts of issues (speaking of the
    > ethics of patents in medicine and surgery, for example --
    > patents that kill).
    >
    > Software patents involve no manufacturing though. It's like
    > patenting auro... or air.

    True, I find it hard to believe that software I wrote in the '80s
    could be considered patentable or violate patents. Stupid things
    like using the "XOR function to ascertain presence of analog
    acquisition channel types", "use of binary roll function with
    carry to embed compacted time code generator function in data
    record", "use of control characters to display data output on a
    computer root terminal", "accelerated tape I/O writes through
    task trap software priority interrupt mechanism", ad nauseum.

    Sounds nice, but really stupid. I hope the EU brings all of this
    to a head and nullifies the majority of software patents, as
    there is nothing innovative about them. It is only a way to
    hinder innovation and open a Pandora's box for abuse, which
    already has been demonstrated.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  13. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 05:17:34 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On May 2, 3:52 am, alt wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:28:39 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> > About the closest Linux ever came to being Linux was when Caldera
    >> > attempted to pass the X/Open Unix/95 compatibility certification.

    >> ITYM: About the closest Linux ever came to being _Unix_ ....

    > Correct. Sorry about that, thanks for the correction.

    No worries. I just wanted to clear it up for those that may not have
    understood.

  14. Re: lINUX IS A cOPY OF unix

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:35:57 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > What he doesn't bother to include is the whole follow-on, where I
    > indicate that I, in the end, did not use that software, though not for a
    > good reason (it was French). Where I admit that I stupidly did not
    > realize the existence of a free solution already -- GNU Parted. Where I
    > admit the error of my thinking, and vow to do without rather than
    > downloading a piece of commercial software.
    >
    > Can "James" say the same thing?

    VMware-server-1.0.4-56528.tar.gz and
    6001.18000.080118-1840_x86fre_Server_en-us-KRMSFRE_EN_DVD.iso are
    downloading right now. I ate three tuna sandwiches for lunch. My dog puked
    in the porch this morning.

    Anything else you'd like to know?

    > I have kept to that vow strictly. People make mistakes. Honest
    > people admit to them and try to do better. I try /hard/ to be honest.
    >
    > I ****ed up. I've moved on.

    Yeah, sure you have.

    "Subject: Ezekiel and Moshe -- internet scumbuckets"

+ Reply to Thread