[News] Linux Kernel Possibly Under Joint 'Control' by Large Corporations - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Kernel Possibly Under Joint 'Control' by Large Corporations - Linux ; Is Linux now a slave to corporate masters? ,----[ Quote | Still, questions about corporate influence on kernel development have been | raised. Such as, How do companies influence Linux kernel development, beyond | paying developers? | | Will the ...

  1. [News] Linux Kernel Possibly Under Joint 'Control' by Large Corporations

    Is Linux now a slave to corporate masters?

    | Still, questions about corporate influence on kernel development have been
    | raised. Such as, How do companies influence Linux kernel development, beyond
    | paying developers?
    |
    | Will the answers expose the kernel as a "corporate initiative?". I doubt it,
    | but I'm not the one who needs to be convinced.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...porate-masters

    Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus Vow to Encourage Open-Source Drivers

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...hp-lenovo.html

    Recent:

    Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
    | development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
    | tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
    | (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).
    `----

    Linux Market to Triple by 2012

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
    | server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
    | than triple between 2007 and 2012. *
    |
    | A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
    | larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
    | services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
    | numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
    | Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
    | (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007. * *
    `----

    http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

  2. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Possibly Under Joint 'Control' by Large Corporations

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:26:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Is Linux now a slave to corporate masters?

    Welcome to the real world Roy Schestowitz.

    > Linux Market to Triple by 2012

    At 0.6 percent of desktop market where else can it go except up?
    Despite not having gone anyplace in 10+ years, maybe Linux might break
    single digits?

    So by 2012 Linux might have 1.8 percent of the desktop market.
    Go Linux!!!

    You go girl!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Possibly Under Joint 'Control' by Large Corporations

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic