After reading a recent press release about System Center Operations
Manager 2007 being able to "manage Unix/Linux", the first
thought that goes through my head is WTF? Who in their right mind
would touch that product?

After thinking for a bit, I then realize this is the exact same
corporate strategy Microsoft has pursued with Active Directory.
Release a trojan horse into a corporation by making an inferior,
arguably broken, operating system, Windows, that won't work with
anything else, or follow the same standards, and then release a
steaming pile of bandages, duct tape, glue, and well ... poo, and
make everyone authenticate against it while charging an expensive
licensing fee.

I don't believe I've ever seen Microsoft's modus operandi ever described
so succinctly.

Here's the press release:

Comments there:

Adam said on April 30, 2008 11:14 AM:

A breif description of what functionality is available would be
nice. It would save me some time if all it does is check disk

Microsoft has had clear competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
museums to document that.
-- Bill Gates, Speech at the Computer History Museum, as quoted in InfoWorld
magazine (October 2001)