Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available - Linux ; On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:58:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Gentoo 2008.0 Beta 2 [Screenshots] I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it. -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please ...

  1. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

  3. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
    :
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:58:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Gentoo 2008.0 Beta 2 [Screenshots]

    > I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it.

    I already know about it, putz. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

  4. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:23:06 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
    > :
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:58:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gentoo 2008.0 Beta 2 [Screenshots]

    >> I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it.
    >>

    > I already know about it, putz. :-P

    Good!
    That leaves four people left to notify.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  6. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    On 2008-05-05, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
    >:
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:58:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gentoo 2008.0 Beta 2 [Screenshots]

    >> I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it.
    >>

    > I already know about it, putz. :-P

    Yeah.. it's all in linux.gentoo.user

    Who cares about this? It doesn't really concern me, as my machine is as
    up to date as the newest Gentoo. Eventually I might switch over my
    profile but nothing really changes.

    It's a non-event.

    Gentoo doesn't work like other distros, there really isn't any new
    "releases", except for a new install CD.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    ____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____

    > On 2008-05-05, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
    >>:

    >>> I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it.
    >>>

    >> I already know about it, putz. :-P
    >>

    > Yeah.. it's all in linux.gentoo.user
    >
    > Who cares about this? It doesn't really concern me, as my machine is as
    > up to date as the newest Gentoo. Eventually I might switch over my
    > profile but nothing really changes.
    >
    > It's a non-event.
    >
    > Gentoo doesn't work like other distros, there really isn't any new
    > "releases", except for a new install CD.

    The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with Gentoo and many
    servers run it too (at least the ones whose admin are ricers :-) :-).

    IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown to be something
    like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
    they should do a delicate dance"
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

  9. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____
    >
    >> On 2008-05-05, The Ghost In The Machine
    >> wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
    >>>:

    >>> I already know about it, putz. :-P
    >>>

    >> Yeah.. it's all in linux.gentoo.user
    >>
    >> Who cares about this? It doesn't really concern me, as my machine is as
    >> up to date as the newest Gentoo. Eventually I might switch over my
    >> profile but nothing really changes.
    >>
    >> It's a non-event.
    >>
    >> Gentoo doesn't work like other distros, there really isn't any new
    >> "releases", except for a new install CD.

    > The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with Gentoo and many
    > servers run it too (at least the ones whose admin are ricers :-) :-).
    >
    > IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown to be something
    > like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.

    Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
    trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 6 May 2008 14:26:46 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____

    >>> Yeah.. it's all in linux.gentoo.user
    >>>
    >>> Who cares about this? It doesn't really concern me, as my machine is as
    >>> up to date as the newest Gentoo. Eventually I might switch over my
    >>> profile but nothing really changes.
    >>>
    >>> It's a non-event.
    >>>
    >>> Gentoo doesn't work like other distros, there really isn't any new
    >>> "releases", except for a new install CD.

    >> The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with
    >> Gentoo and many servers run it too (at least the ones whose
    >> admin are ricers :-) :-).
    >>
    >> IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown
    >> to be something like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.

    > Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
    > trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.

    Maybe not, but by and large it just works -- though when
    it does throw a curve ball, it's swing and a miss; my one
    box at work is now quite dysfunctional for some reason.
    Thankfully, I should be able to extract the data off it,
    and it wasn't that big a box -- maybe a 40 GB drive on
    it, 256 MB RAM. It would be a dual-boot but Windows
    inexplicably fried itself somewhere, disallowing IT's
    attempts to update its virus file. I put Windows out of
    my misery, on that box.

    Something to do with an upgrade I was pursuing. Not sure
    exactly what happened but it lost its dependencies, and
    aborts its startup script. The system still boots but
    half of its "brain" is missing -- including the network.
    Fortunately, I resurrected the network, and am copying off
    the data.

    In any event, I was easily able to download the stage3,
    and used it to build a 1 GB virtual disc for experimental
    purposes with UML. Who needs trendy?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  11. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    On 2008-05-06, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
    >
    > wrote
    > on 6 May 2008 14:26:46 GMT
    >:
    >> On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____

    >>> The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with
    >>> Gentoo and many servers run it too (at least the ones whose
    >>> admin are ricers :-) :-).
    >>>
    >>> IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown
    >>> to be something like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.

    >> Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
    >> trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.
    >>

    > Maybe not, but by and large it just works -- though when
    > it does throw a curve ball, it's swing and a miss; my one
    > box at work is now quite dysfunctional for some reason.
    > Thankfully, I should be able to extract the data off it,
    > and it wasn't that big a box -- maybe a 40 GB drive on
    > it, 256 MB RAM. It would be a dual-boot but Windows
    > inexplicably fried itself somewhere, disallowing IT's
    > attempts to update its virus file. I put Windows out of
    > my misery, on that box.

    I've not had any disasters yet (touch wood!). I love the absolute ease
    of package management. It's all done for me. It is all _maintained_ for
    me.

    > Something to do with an upgrade I was pursuing. Not sure
    > exactly what happened but it lost its dependencies, and
    > aborts its startup script. The system still boots but
    > half of its "brain" is missing -- including the network.
    > Fortunately, I resurrected the network, and am copying off
    > the data.

    There you go, managing Gentoo leaves you with the confidence to rebuild
    broken setups at least to the point where you can salvage your precious
    data.

    > In any event, I was easily able to download the stage3,
    > and used it to build a 1 GB virtual disc for experimental
    > purposes with UML. Who needs trendy?

    I've never been trendy in my life. UML is definitely not trendy, I'm not
    sure it's even being maintained. The last kernel release was 2.6.18-r2.
    I also run a UML virtual machine. It runs an Apache webserver with the
    perl module installed. It was easy getting it onto the network and dead
    easy to punch a hole through my firewall for external access to this web
    server.

    What fun these gentoo things are... I especially love the recursive UML
    Tux logo 8-)

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  12. Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 6 May 2008 21:48:17 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-05-06, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on 6 May 2008 14:26:46 GMT
    >>:

    >>> Yeah, well, I've never been a trendsetter and Gentoo is no longer
    >>> trendy. We're now a rather rare bunch on desktops.
    >>>

    >> Maybe not, but by and large it just works -- though when
    >> it does throw a curve ball, it's swing and a miss; my one
    >> box at work is now quite dysfunctional for some reason.
    >> Thankfully, I should be able to extract the data off it,
    >> and it wasn't that big a box -- maybe a 40 GB drive on
    >> it, 256 MB RAM. It would be a dual-boot but Windows
    >> inexplicably fried itself somewhere, disallowing IT's
    >> attempts to update its virus file. I put Windows out of
    >> my misery, on that box.

    > I've not had any disasters yet (touch wood!). I love the absolute ease
    > of package management. It's all done for me. It is all _maintained_ for
    > me.

    Well, this isn't a disaster, more of an annoyance. ;-)

    >> Something to do with an upgrade I was pursuing. Not sure
    >> exactly what happened but it lost its dependencies, and
    >> aborts its startup script. The system still boots but
    >> half of its "brain" is missing -- including the network.
    >> Fortunately, I resurrected the network, and am copying off
    >> the data.

    > There you go, managing Gentoo leaves you with the confidence to rebuild
    > broken setups at least to the point where you can salvage your precious
    > data.

    Didn't have to rebuild (fortunately!), but I can't get NFS to work, so
    have to use tar | ssh. No biggie, but I'll admit to wondering
    what blew on this old machine (its kernel version is 2.6.13).

    >> In any event, I was easily able to download the stage3,
    >> and used it to build a 1 GB virtual disc for experimental
    >> purposes with UML. Who needs trendy?

    > I've never been trendy in my life. UML is definitely not trendy, I'm not
    > sure it's even being maintained. The last kernel release was 2.6.18-r2.

    Well, somebody's tweaked it; it's working again as of 2.6.24.
    I'm happy... :-)

    > I also run a UML virtual machine. It runs an Apache webserver with the
    > perl module installed. It was easy getting it onto the network and dead
    > easy to punch a hole through my firewall for external access to this web
    > server.

    Yeah, and almost as simple to run multiple machines (if
    one can stand the slowdown) on either the main network
    (assuming it has DHCP capability), or using something such
    as vde_switch.

    > What fun these gentoo things are... I especially love the recursive UML
    > Tux logo 8-)

    An eye *in* an eye, as it were.... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.