Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think. - Linux

This is a discussion on Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think. - Linux ; Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss or floss fairly regularly. I like the term foss because it's the old Yorkshire (God's own county!) name for a waterfall[1]. The most beautiful of these is Jennet's or Janet's ...

  1. Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss or floss fairly
    regularly. I like the term foss because it's the old Yorkshire (God's
    own county!) name for a waterfall[1]. The most beautiful of these is
    Jennet's or Janet's Foss in Malhamdale, close to Gordale Scar, one of
    the most striking geological features in the uk. You can see the
    waterfall here: http://www.malhamdale.com/janetsfoss.htm and Gordale
    Scar here: http://www.malhamdale.com/gordalescar.htm. The scar is so
    huge that you really need to see a picture with people in it in order to
    grasp the scale of it.

    Note 1: like much Yorkshire dialect, its roots are in Old Norse.

    The was considered by most artists to be unpaintable until one James
    Ward (1769-1859) created an enormous canvass, complete with a few cattle
    and a little water in order to show scale and perspective. A sketch for
    "gordale scar" can be seen here:
    http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewW...searchid=10213
    The picture now hangs in the National Gallery after years of being in
    storage.

    Okay, that's foss covered... a nice word, implying a neverending flow
    of software, an aspect of great natural beauty, leading to a pool of
    software below the foss, clean, pure and uncorrupted.

    Floss, however, I'm not so keen on. Floss might be "candy-floss". The
    term candy is popular with the great grand-parents of the UK, but for
    younger generations, they would use the word "sweet". The exception,
    though, is candy-floss, a beach favourite with young children. So, it
    tastes nice, is somewhat addictive, gives a sugar hit, but in the end,
    is not really good for you, certainly, unlike the foss above, not
    something you could consume in large quantities.

    So, both words are interesting, and have some positive side, but foss
    seems to be the winner. The question for me, though, is whether it's
    the right word at all. Foss is really an acronym, free open source
    software. Put the 'l' in and you add libre, deriving from liberare,
    latin "to (set) free, release, exempt". Admirable stuff, but
    unfortunately, it rather assumes that the reader knows where to go in
    order to find the root of the word, that they know, basically, to go to
    the FSF's pages and look up some of RMS's writings.

    So, I'd like to propose a new word, one which I think has the right
    connotations, and whilst it perhaps lacks the poetic beauty of foss, it
    more than makes up for it by providing a more clear link back to the FSF
    and the GPL. Here it is: gloss. Now, don't be confused, the 'l' here
    isn't for libra (, pound), nor for libre, it just means licensed. It
    goes like this:

    GNU
    Licensed
    Open
    Source
    Software

    Gloss.

    The english term gloss, of course, can be an adjective, for example,
    gloss-paint being shiny, reflective, paint; it can be a noun, since you
    can "put a gloss" on something, ie., make it look good. It can also be
    a verb, combined with 'up' we can "gloss something up", ie., make it
    good, make it better, improve it.

    Thus, summing up, whilst foss is about flow, natural beauty and purity,
    floss is about sweetness but with a risk factor, gloss, instead, is
    about making things good, about improving them. This, to my mind,
    has all the right connotations, whilst keeping the inherent reference
    to GNU licensing in there.

    I say to you all, go out and gloss-up your computers, make them shiny,
    put a gloss on them, in them, and around them. Use gloss wherever you
    can. Most importantly, use gloss to liberate yourselves from props,
    proprietary software. No computer should need props in order to work,
    whilst every software project should have gloss.

  2. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht

    > | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    > | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    > | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    > | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |

    Here's your new sig!
    --
    Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day.
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our

  3. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > I say to you all, go out and gloss-up your computers, make them shiny,
    > put a gloss on them, in them, and around them. Use gloss wherever you
    > can. Most importantly, use gloss to liberate yourselves from props,
    > proprietary software. No computer should need props in order to work,
    > whilst every software project should have gloss.

    Gloss this, you pretentious dweeb.

  4. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how wethink.

    The Chrisv nym-thief CLogwog lamer wrote:

    > "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht
    >
    >> | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    >> | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    >> | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    >> | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |
    >>

    > Here's your new sig!

    [snip gob ****e]

    Wishful thinking hu Cloggie?

    You make me feel ashamed for being Dutch.

    Tering tiefus takke hoer!

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  5. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss
    > or floss fairly regularly.

    Like many "advocate" posters, you are a proven hypocrite.

    Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day.
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."
    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy
    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products
    Mark Kent's partner Microsoft:
    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=ourpartners
    http://www.jnetx.com/fileadmin/image...ll/logo005.jpg
    Mark Kent's jNetX N(X) - Convergent Network Services for Microsoft CSF
    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4
    Download Mark Kent's Microsoft demo:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

  6. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    "ml2mst" wrote in message
    > The Chrisv nym-thief CLogwog lamer wrote:
    >
    >> "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht

    >> Here's your new sig!

    > [snip gob ****e]
    >
    > Wishful thinking hu Cloggie?
    >
    > You make me feel ashamed for being Dutch.
    >
    > Tering tiefus takke hoer!
    >
    > --
    > |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    > |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    > |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

    I like the idea, but I think that here in cyberspace
    where so many people replace thinking with an agitated
    verbosity, it's not going to go over.

    Anyone looking at Microsoft's Windows can see it's
    made to use this language idea, to snare users in to
    the Microsoft Way, which then makes learning any
    sensibly made resources very hard to do. It diverts
    the user from common-sense.

    Further, it makes the Windows workings opaque to
    users. Just jump into any of the Windows nodes, the
    deeper ones especially, and look at the pathnames and
    node names you find at the ends of these. They are
    just not accessible to the user.

    Compare the Windows terminology vs, for instance,
    the terminology of mathematics, where symbols are
    used to manage large ideas. For instance, 'COD'
    is brief for 'Continuous, One-valued, Differentiable,'
    where each of those terms reflects back to more
    basic thinking and proofs. It's what makes the
    calculus exciting and useful, as would not be
    possible if the mathematics were done the Microsoft
    way.

    (In my Linux environments, I use node names as short
    as one letter; rarely more than three or four. My
    paths do get deep, five or six layers; but even at
    age near 80, they come back at need. And I save
    'folder' for those useful things made out of heavy
    manila paper. Also, I don't use 'managers,' plain
    old 'ls' with its options works for all practical
    service.)

    Thus Microsoft uses language to make their technology
    much less accessible, not more; and they do it as
    some of their user lock-in. I wonder if one of these
    days, it will come home to roost; if someone will
    look at Microsoft and say, ok, if you look at what
    it actually costs, this Microsoft way, this rich
    company got rich at an *immense and terrible* social
    cost.

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 May 1]

  7. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:48:25 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Like many posters here,

    .....you've been preaching Linux and give away software by night yet using
    and supporting proprietary software by day.

    IOW you, Mark Kent, the Microsoft Business Partner, like many of the other
    Linux loons in COLA, are a hypocrite.

    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy

    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    "ml2mst" schreef in bericht
    > The Chrisv nym-thief CLogwog lamer wrote:

    Please tell me who is the rightfull owner of the chrisv nym?
    There are 4 of them.
    lol !
    Within 1 year there might be 60!
    It's the mating season.

    >> "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht
    >>
    >>> | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    >>> | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    >>> | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    >>> | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |
    >>>

    >> Here's your new sig!

    > [snip gob ****e]
    >
    > Wishful thinking hu Cloggie?

    So you deny the documented fact that Mark Kent is a Microsoft partner?
    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    > You make me feel ashamed for being Dutch.
    >
    > Tering tiefus takke hoer!

    lol !
    "Arroseur, arrose"

    "He brags about his dead friend Gerard "****ing his brains out", "Which you
    silly sissies can't accomplish"
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...lin-idiot.html
    --
    Jy's nie 'n kont nie; jy's die stukkie wat stink!

  9. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 01 May 2008 10:48 : \____

    > GNU
    > Licensed
    > Open
    > Source
    > Software
    >
    > Gloss.

    Lets's make it:

    GNU
    Licensed
    Free
    Software

    I came back from Stallman's talk about 20 minutes ago (he gave it just a
    10-minute walking distance from my home) and rightly avoid using the term open
    source, which is a reality (open source), but not the goal.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
    Swap: 1510068k total, 722992k used, 787076k free, 46516k cached

  10. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:16:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 01 May 2008 10:48 : \____
    >
    >> GNU
    >> Licensed
    >> Open
    >> Source
    >> Software
    >>
    >> Gloss.

    > Lets's make it:
    >
    > GNU
    > Licensed
    > Free
    > Software
    >
    > I came back from Stallman's talk about 20 minutes ago (he gave it just a
    > 10-minute walking distance from my home) and rightly avoid using the term open
    > source, which is a reality (open source), but not the goal.

    Did you introduce yourself?

    What did he think of all your "reliable sources" ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    In article <1269848.TDvmaFsGT0@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 01 May 2008 10:48 : \____
    >
    > > GNU
    > > Licensed
    > > Open
    > > Source
    > > Software
    > >
    > > Gloss.

    > Lets's make it:
    >
    > GNU
    > Licensed
    > Free
    > Software

    What about the free software that isn't GNU licensed? Like Apache and X?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:34:26 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1269848.TDvmaFsGT0@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 01 May 2008 10:48 : \____
    >>
    >>> GNU
    >>> Licensed
    >>> Open
    >>> Source
    >>> Software
    >>>
    >>> Gloss.

    >> Lets's make it:
    >>
    >> GNU
    >> Licensed
    >> Free
    >> Software

    > What about the free software that isn't GNU licensed? Like Apache and X?

    Those are the dirty little secrets that the Linux loons keep to themselves.
    Oh, yea , they will drag up the popularity of Apache when it fits their
    argument, but start talking about GNU and they suddenly go sour and get
    mad.

    The old double standard hard at work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  15. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 07:51:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss
    >> or floss fairly regularly.

    > Like many "advocate" posters, you are a proven hypocrite.
    >

    > Mark Kent, Linux advocate by night and Microsoft partner by day.
    > "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    > customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    > allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."
    > Mark Kent
    > Head of Technology Strategy
    > http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products
    > Mark Kent's partner Microsoft:
    > http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=ourpartners
    > http://www.jnetx.com/fileadmin/image...ll/logo005.jpg
    > Mark Kent's jNetX N(X) - Convergent Network Services for Microsoft CSF
    > https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4
    > Download Mark Kent's Microsoft demo:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    Mark Kent is probably the biggest hypocrite in the bunch because he spews
    his hate and venom for proprietary solutions all through this group but yet
    he earns his living using those same solutions.

    He is also a huge, boring windbag.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: Putting the Linux gloss onto software - Here to stay

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...

    >> master salesman and leader, in order to provide integrated solutions
    >> must assist and provide the customer with solutions that mate Microsoft
    >> infrastructure with Linux, Unix, and Apple's OSX.

    > And he's also a "Certified Microsoft Partner" and is quoted promoting
    > the advantages of his closed propreitary software which makes him a
    > hypocrite for denonuncing the exact same items here in COLA.

    >> The exuding selfishness and greed expressed by the likes of this Moshe
    >> troll and the other trolls are certainly not for the betterment of
    >> these companies and Government offices. His only support is for
    >> Chairman Gates and his little Redmond book.

    > Slurp, slurp, slurp. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    Hmmm .... interesting that this Win-troll has a complete lack of
    understanding of the IT industry integration requirements through
    multi-vendor support. Not only that, but he has to act in a ****ey
    manner to express his ignorance.

    A competing company will support a competitor's product to gain the
    support and business of the client. It only makes business sense.
    However, in supporting that client is to assist him with what makes
    business sense. That includes Linux, FOSS and FLOSS.

    Mr. Kent's company does more than just Windows. It does business up to
    and including mainframe services and WAN. Problem with this Win-troll is
    that he thinks only in terms of the micro perspective instead of the macro
    "Big Picture" perspective.

    --
    HPT
    Linux MVP

  18. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    On 2008-05-01, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss or floss fairly
    > regularly. I like the term foss because it's the old Yorkshire (God's
    > own county!) name for a waterfall[1]. The most beautiful of these is
    > Jennet's or Janet's Foss in Malhamdale, close to Gordale Scar, one of
    > the most striking geological features in the uk. You can see the
    > waterfall here: http://www.malhamdale.com/janetsfoss.htm and Gordale
    > Scar here: http://www.malhamdale.com/gordalescar.htm. The scar is so
    > huge that you really need to see a picture with people in it in order to
    > grasp the scale of it.

    You call _that_ a gorge? Here's pictures of what a _real_ gorge looks
    like:

    http://www.outback-australia-travel-..._pictures.html

    I've been down the Katherine gorge myself... crocodiles, hot as hell...

    It's a wild place!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  19. Re: Putting the gloss onto software - how language affects how we think.

    Gregory Shearman espoused:
    > On 2008-05-01, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Like many posters here, I've been using the term foss or floss fairly
    >> regularly. I like the term foss because it's the old Yorkshire (God's
    >> own county!) name for a waterfall[1]. The most beautiful of these is
    >> Jennet's or Janet's Foss in Malhamdale, close to Gordale Scar, one of
    >> the most striking geological features in the uk. You can see the
    >> waterfall here: http://www.malhamdale.com/janetsfoss.htm and Gordale
    >> Scar here: http://www.malhamdale.com/gordalescar.htm. The scar is so
    >> huge that you really need to see a picture with people in it in order to
    >> grasp the scale of it.

    > You call _that_ a gorge? Here's pictures of what a _real_ gorge looks
    > like:

    Hehe - it's actually huge, but hard to see from the pictures, I know...

    > http://www.outback-australia-travel-..._pictures.html
    >
    > I've been down the Katherine gorge myself... crocodiles, hot as hell...
    >
    > It's a wild place!

    Sadly, I've not been able to visit Oz (yet), but I hope to get there
    sometime before too long. The grand canyon was pretty impressive, and I
    managed to get there in January, whilst it was still snowy :-)