Linux reaches all-time high in April: 0.67% - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux reaches all-time high in April: 0.67% - Linux ; Hadron wrote: > Ian Hilliard writes: > >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >> >>> On Thu, 1 May 2008 07:21:53 -0400, DFS wrote: >>> >>>> OK wrote: >>>>> Go Linux, go!!! >>>>> >>>>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...qpcustom=Linux >>>> >>>> It's on fire! And if ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Linux reaches all-time high in April: 0.67%

    Hadron wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Here is the Linux solution to overheating laptops:
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/3hmwhl
    >>>

    >> I see that you are really behind the times. That trouble report is from
    >> May 2005.
    >>
    >> I have found that my laptop has run cooler and I get better battery life
    >> under Linux than under Windows for several years now.

    > Complete and utter rubbish.
    >
    > Which cpu frequency stepper are you using? Make and model of your laptop
    > please and describe what you did under windows compared to Linux.
    >
    > My thinkpad runs out of battery *much* faster than it did under Windows.
    >
    > Not withstanding that hibernate doesn't work under Linux either.

    My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M3 with 2GHz CPU. After I bought this laptop, I
    discovered that it is known to seriously overheat and the fan is really
    noisy. Toshiba were able to fix the noisy fan bit, but the machine still
    get very hot when running Windows.

    I have an extended life battery so I get around three and a half hours
    running Windows XP and around four and a half hours running Suse 10.1,
    tweaked to save power. I later moved to Ubuntu 7.04, but kept using
    powersaved and had similar times on a charge. Ubuntu 7.10 reduced the times
    to about the same as those on Windows, but the laptop still runs cooler
    than under Windows. Ubuntu 8.04 has seen the time I get from a charged
    batter to over five hours (with wireless enabled) and the laptop has become
    so cool that I can now sit it directly on my lap, as I am doing at the
    moment.

    I have long suspected that part of the reason that the laptop is so hot and
    wasteful under Windows is the need to run a virus scanner. The virus
    scanner is constantly taking CPU cycles even when all I am doing is writing
    a document. I don't have the need for a virus scanner under Linux.

    Ian

  2. Re: Linux reaches all-time high in April: 0.67%

    Ian Hilliard writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Hilliard writes:

    >>> I see that you are really behind the times. That trouble report is from
    >>> May 2005.
    >>>
    >>> I have found that my laptop has run cooler and I get better battery life
    >>> under Linux than under Windows for several years now.

    >> Complete and utter rubbish.
    >>
    >> Which cpu frequency stepper are you using? Make and model of your laptop
    >> please and describe what you did under windows compared to Linux.
    >>
    >> My thinkpad runs out of battery *much* faster than it did under Windows.
    >>
    >> Not withstanding that hibernate doesn't work under Linux either.

    > My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M3 with 2GHz CPU. After I bought this laptop, I
    > discovered that it is known to seriously overheat and the fan is really
    > noisy. Toshiba were able to fix the noisy fan bit, but the machine still
    > get very hot when running Windows.
    >
    > I have an extended life battery so I get around three and a half hours
    > running Windows XP and around four and a half hours running Suse 10.1,
    > tweaked to save power. I later moved to Ubuntu 7.04, but kept using
    > powersaved and had similar times on a charge. Ubuntu 7.10 reduced the times
    > to about the same as those on Windows, but the laptop still runs cooler
    > than under Windows. Ubuntu 8.04 has seen the time I get from a charged
    > batter to over five hours (with wireless enabled) and the laptop has become
    > so cool that I can now sit it directly on my lap, as I am doing at the
    > moment.
    >
    > I have long suspected that part of the reason that the laptop is so hot and
    > wasteful under Windows is the need to run a virus scanner. The virus
    > scanner is constantly taking CPU cycles even when all I am doing is writing
    > a document. I don't have the need for a virus scanner under Linux.
    >
    > Ian

    I could believe that - but in laptop mode I would rarely be
    online. Disable the scanner when offline.

    The rest - well I can only say that Windows lasts a LOT longer under
    battery power than Linux. Installing cpufreq has improved things a lot
    though.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2