[News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro - Linux ; Microsoft developing 'senior PC' ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple interface | and be aimed at older users. `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7375286.stm "Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls....

  1. [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro

    Microsoft developing 'senior PC'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple interface
    | and be aimed at older users.
    `----

    "Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls.

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro

    On 2008-05-01, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    > Microsoft developing 'senior PC'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple interface
    >| and be aimed at older users.
    > `----

    > "Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls.

    Oldsters will probably need to buy Vista and "upgrade" to the codger
    version at additional cost.

    A scheme like that could bring the attorneys general out in force
    again. A lot of them are very proactive about going after scammers who
    target seasoned citizens to bilk them out of their retirement savings.

    --
    Vista: Proof you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro

    "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-01, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >> Microsoft developing 'senior PC'
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple
    >>interface
    >>| and be aimed at older users.
    >> `----

    >> "Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls.

    > Oldsters will probably need to buy Vista and "upgrade" to the codger
    > version at additional cost.
    >
    > A scheme like that could bring the attorneys general out in force
    > again. A lot of them are very proactive about going after scammers who
    > target seasoned citizens to bilk them out of their retirement savings.
    >
    > --
    > Vista: Proof you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

    "Codger version," "seasoned citizens," isn't our American
    English a fun language? It comes across much better
    than the highschool canonical English so many people seem
    to think is proper. And it's hugely better than street
    language, which principally signals large mental deficits
    in its users.

    But also, there's a point to this. To me, it's that the
    current trends in 'user friendly' are thoroughly bad. This
    'user friendly' was said at its beginning to make using a
    computer more easy and accessible. But I think that if you
    compare all the dodgy unpredictable little keystroke jobs
    that fill up Windows, vs the simple and powerful unix
    resources of command-line, this Windows complexity is
    simply out of sight. Here in Windows, there's a reason I
    have a Cygwin for my serious work, which I do thru emacs.
    (I also use emacs directly in my Windows.)

    On this topic, I hope Microsoft can someday replace its
    crummy editor with something up-to-date 30 years ago --
    Like-emacs would be best; there's also vi. Why Microsoft
    is so late on this escapes me, but there it is.

    For this reason, I don't see any need for a codger version
    of Windows. Rather, just a reversion to the common-sense
    and efficient command-line technology we had before Windows
    came along with its 'user-friendly.'

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 May 1]

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a Windows Distro

    * Martha Adams peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Sinister Midget" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-01, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft developing 'senior PC'
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7375286.stm

    >> Oldsters will probably need to buy Vista and "upgrade" to the codger
    >> version at additional cost.
    >>
    >> A scheme like that could bring the attorneys general out in force
    >> again. A lot of them are very proactive about going after scammers who
    >> target seasoned citizens to bilk them out of their retirement savings.

    ^^^^^^^^ What are you? A cannibal?

    > But also, there's a point to this. To me, it's that the
    > current trends in 'user friendly' are thoroughly bad. This
    > 'user friendly' was said at its beginning to make using a
    > computer more easy and accessible. But I think that if you
    > compare all the dodgy unpredictable little keystroke jobs
    > that fill up Windows, vs the simple and powerful unix
    > resources of command-line, this Windows complexity is
    > simply out of sight. Here in Windows, there's a reason I
    > have a Cygwin for my serious work, which I do thru emacs.
    > (I also use emacs directly in my Windows.)

    Windows -- The OS with "senior moments".

    > On this topic, I hope Microsoft can someday replace its
    > crummy editor with something up-to-date 30 years ago --
    > Like-emacs would be best; there's also vi. Why Microsoft
    > is so late on this escapes me, but there it is.

    The why is this: "how many boxes will it sell?"

    Luckily, open-source coders provide vi (as well as more conventional
    editors) for Windows.

    > For this reason, I don't see any need for a codger version
    > of Windows. Rather, just a reversion to the common-sense
    > and efficient command-line technology we had before Windows
    > came along with its 'user-friendly.'

    See the sig.

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft Learns from GNU/Linux and Creates a WindowsDistro

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft developing 'senior PC'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft UK is developing a "senior PC", which will have a simple interface
    > | and be aimed at older users.
    > `----

    > "Oh noes! Fragmentation," shouted the WinTrolls.

    Does this mean

    - They will install this version on PCs in the large print section of
    the library
    - That search pages will be covered in ads for medical drugs and
    motorized chairs
    - ...

+ Reply to Thread