Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!! - Linux ; Munchkins, Congrats! At .06 percent desktop market share, we have successfully held back the adoption of Linux. Even though Vista is the ME of our time, we have proven that we can successfully hold ground. As we know, usually after ...

  1. Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!!

    Munchkins,

    Congrats! At .06 percent desktop market share, we have
    successfully held back the adoption of Linux. Even though
    Vista is the ME of our time, we have proven that we can
    successfully hold ground. As we know, usually after an ME we
    have a success like in the case of XP. Windows 7 will be that
    great OS, especially when integrated with MSN/Yahoo Live!

    The linux numbers are worse than OS/2's ever were on the
    desktop, and we must thank our selves for our efforts as
    the last few years were rough with the borked Vista OS.

    Thank our OEM team whom pounded the OEMs to not release OSS drivers.
    Any OEM that tried too suddenly found their competitors flush
    with cash. The lack of drivers released by OEMs means we were quite
    successful! I think punishing nVidia by propping up ATI showed that
    we meant business.

    But it all comes down to you guys on the ground. Windows 7
    will be a surprise early release. You exposed the linux gang
    to be a bunch of santa claus believing fools. Thanks to these
    efforts, the opposition has been turned into mush. We just
    need to keep up the efforts just a bit more as we are in the
    home stretch.

    One more thing to note, please let your leaders know that these EU
    fines need to stop. We need to see if we can start fining some EU
    products in retaliation.

  2. Wintroll spews gob****e based on assumptions

    Some Anonymous Coward Wintroll wrote:

    > M.

    Yet another pile of gob****e, pulled out of some Wintroll's budd.

    Why is it so hard for you to understand that those market share numbers
    don't make any sense?

    In contrast to Microsoft Windows, the majority of GNU/Linux
    distributions are not sold, but are downloaded and installed without
    nobody ever noticing.

    Anyway, you are waisting my bandwith, thus

    *PLONK*

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  3. Re: Wintroll spews gob****e based on assumptions

    "ml2mst" schreef in bericht
    > Some Anonymous Coward Wintroll wrote:
    >
    >> M.

    > Yet another pile of gob****e, pulled out of some Wintroll's budd.
    >
    > Why is it so hard for you to understand that those market share numbers
    > don't make any sense?
    >
    > In contrast to Microsoft Windows, the majority of GNU/Linux
    > distributions are not sold, but are downloaded and installed without
    > nobody ever noticing.
    >
    > Anyway, you are waisting my bandwith, thus
    >
    > *PLONK*
    >
    > --
    > |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    > |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    > |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

    Oh, it's you! Fsck you arsehole troll!

    Marti van Lin (ML2MST) runs XP with Vista look now!
    http://osgeex.blogspot.com/2007/11/f...indows-xp.html
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...vista_file.png
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/...ista_media.png

    *PLONK*

  4. Re: Wintroll spews gob****e based on assumptions

    chrisv schreef:
    > "ml2mst" schreef...
    >> Some Anonymous Coward Wintroll wrote:
    >>
    >>> M.

    >> Yet another pile of gob****e, pulled out of some Wintroll's
    >> budd.
    >>
    >> Why is it so hard for you to understand that those market
    >> share numbers don't make any sense?
    >>
    >> In contrast to Microsoft Windows, the majority of GNU/Linux
    >> distributions are not sold, but are downloaded and installed
    >> without nobody ever noticing.
    >>
    >> Anyway, you are waisting my bandwith, thus
    >>
    >> *PLONK*

    > Oh, it's you! Fsck you arsehole troll! Ma

    Oh, it's cloggy woggy. In the past, accused ml2mst of poor
    grammar. Troll calling a non-troll a troll. The trolls in this
    newsgroup are getting stupider very day.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  5. Re: Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!!

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:42:35 +0200, Anonymous wrote:

    > Congrats!

    Another names entity posting dribble. Lets see maybe we can call you
    "Dipstick"

    Hello Dipstick!

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  6. Re: Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!!

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 07:42:35 +0200, Anonymous wrote:

    > One more thing to note, please let your leaders know that these EU fines
    > need to stop. We need to see if we can start fining some EU products in
    > retaliation.

    So... you don't care that your precious Microsoft is violating EU law,
    you would instead encourage their illegal behaviour. How very moral of
    you.

  7. Re: Linux is deader than OS/2 and Han's Reiser's wife!!

    On May 1, 1:42 am, Anonymous wrote:
    > Munchkins,

    > Congrats! At .06 percent desktop market share, we have
    > successfully held back the adoption of Linux.

    Which statistic is this? The number of PCs sold with Linux
    preinstalled by the Top 5 OEMs (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba,
    Sony)? I supposed that it makes no difference to you that over 80% of
    those computers sold with Windows are "Linux Ready" and many don't
    even have DirectX/10 support for Vista graphics effects.

    Just because a desktop is sold with Windows or Vista, doesn't mean
    that that's what it will ultimately run as the primary operating
    system.

    One can pick up Linux at many large bookstores, including Borders,
    Barnes&Noble, and B. Balton. If you have high speed internet access,
    such as cable, DSL, or a WiFi hot-spot (some hotels and panera offer
    them free), you can download ISO images in less than an hour, even a
    DVD image can be downloaded in a few hours.

    You can download VMWare player for Windows/Vista in about 10 minutes,
    and download a VMWare "Appliance" that will let you run Linux as a
    secondary operating system - in less than an hour. Many of those can
    be expanded once they are installed by using the update services
    included.

    If you really like Linux, you can use VMWare Converter to create a
    VMWare "appliance" out of your current Windows system, (or the one
    installed on the computer when purchased), and store it on a USB
    drive.

    You can then install Linux, with support for 64 bit processors, 4 gig
    or more of memory, and multicore processors. Then, you install the
    VMWare Windows "Appliance" on the Linux system, and end up with a
    Windows system that's faster, more secure, and easier to back-up and
    recover, than Windows as the "Native" operating system. You can even
    run Windows from the USB external SATA drive.

    Using a Windows VM appliance also gives you more control over Windows,
    limiting the amount of memory allocated to Windows.

    Many Linux users even put both Windows AND Linux on the system as VM
    appliances, allowing them to run recoverable versions of both Windows
    and Linux on a fast but streamlined Linux kernel. Many Mac users
    already know that they can run both Windows and Linux as VM appliances
    on their Mac, while getting all the speed and power of the Mac OS.
    Mac can even run Vista faster than traditional "Windows" PCs.

    > Even though Vista is the ME of our time,

    No, ME at least offered a cheap "Downgrade" back to Windows 98 for
    under $100.
    PC buyers who purchase machines preloaded with Vista have to pay up to
    $200 for a downgrade to Windows XP. On the other hand, if they order
    the PC with XP preinstalled, they get the "Downgrade" from Vista
    Business for free.

    Microsoft is playing a "shell game" with their Vista numbers. When
    the OEM ships the PC with XP Professional, Microsoft counts it as
    Vista with an Upgrade to Vista Business Edition (the downgrade isn't
    even counted).

    Even with the "smoke and mirrors", Microsoft's license revenue and
    profits on OS are dropping rapidly. There was that initial surge of
    early adopters who wanted the "newest toy", and many have ended up
    advising others to "Stick to XP" or worse, they are saying "I wish I
    had bought a Mac".

    In this survey:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    We see that Linux has 3.9% of the market, and Mac has 4.4%.
    But there is also an "other" catagory which is also about 95% Linux.
    This segment is about 4% of the total market, giving Linux another
    3.6%.(90% of 4%).

    But even this undercounts Linux and Mac. Linux users often use Linux
    behind a firewall, WiFi hub, or router, that makes all of the
    computers in the house, or all of the computers in the office, or all
    of the computers in the corporate network, look like a single IP
    address.

    Windows users on the other hand, often use dial-up or public DHCP
    addresses, and often reconnect to the internet several times a day
    (often getting new IP addresses) each time there is a reconnect.
    Therefore, all Microsoft has to do to increase or maintain their
    market share, is increase the size of the IP address pools used by MSN
    users, AOL users, and Cellular modem users, as well as Verizon DSL
    users.

    Conversely, those Linux users might pop on and off, but that Firewall/
    Router will maintain a connection for weeks, even months without
    disconnecting. The router will automatically renew to keep the IP
    address assigned. The only time that it will get a new address is if
    you unplug the router for a day or two, or switch routers.

    So you could have 5,000 Linux boxes being counted as a single box, and
    you could have millions of Windows boxes where each box is being
    counted as 30-50 different IP addresses per month.

    Google used to publish OS statistics which were based on registered
    users, and Linux had grown to almost 9% of their market, and that was
    back in 2002. By using cookies, that persisted, each computer was
    counted, rather than just each IP. Furthermore, each environment used
    by each computer was counted, since the Linux environment would have a
    different cookie even though it shared the same IP as the Windows box.

    Financial reports from Linux companies show that Linux is still
    growing at around 40-60% per year, with newer distributions even
    growing faster. Some of this is "distribution shopping" with people
    installing multiple Linux distributions as VM appliances. This is a
    very easy way to do side-by-side comparisons between Fedora, SUSE, and
    Ubuntu.

    > we have proven that we can
    > successfully hold ground. As we know, usually after an ME we
    > have a success like in the case of XP. Windows 7 will be that
    > great OS, especially when integrated with MSN/Yahoo Live!
    >
    > The linux numbers are worse than OS/2's ever were on the
    > desktop, and we must thank our selves for our efforts as
    > the last few years were rough with the borked Vista OS.
    >
    > Thank our OEM team whom pounded the OEMs to not release OSS drivers.
    > Any OEM that tried too suddenly found their competitors flush
    > with cash. The lack of drivers released by OEMs means we were quite
    > successful! I think punishing nVidia by propping up ATI showed that
    > we meant business.
    >
    > But it all comes down to you guys on the ground. Windows 7
    > will be a surprise early release. You exposed the linux gang
    > to be a bunch of santa claus believing fools. Thanks to these
    > efforts, the opposition has been turned into mush. We just
    > need to keep up the efforts just a bit more as we are in the
    > home stretch.
    >
    > One more thing to note, please let your leaders know that these EU
    > fines need to stop. We need to see if we can start fining some EU
    > products in retaliation.

+ Reply to Thread