Linux just works! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux just works! - Linux ; Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > DFS wrote: > >> Yes you are; many tens of thousands of Linux users struggle >> mightily, as evidenced by the avalanche of problem reports. >> Considering Linux has such a tiny user base, the variety ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Linux works! Wake up and smell the coffee!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Yes you are; many tens of thousands of Linux users struggle
    >> mightily, as evidenced by the avalanche of problem reports.
    >> Considering Linux has such a tiny user base, the variety and
    >> amount of reported problems is shocking. But I guess it
    >> really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone; Linux/OSS is coded
    >> by amateurs with little to no real responsibility
    >> (financial or reputation or career impact) for the crap code
    >> they produce.

    > I also predicted a long time ago that as more noobs use Linux
    > the real truth about Linux "just works" will become painfully
    > evident.
    >
    > This is now coming to pass and it's not pretty

    for Microsoft and the troll population in c.o.l.advocacy! Hey,
    Moshe baby, wake up and smell the coffee!

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7386/469

    EU: Schools increase use of Open Source
    Open Source News - 26 February 2008 - EU and Europe-wide - General

    Schools using GNU/Linux or other Open Source systems for desktop
    PCs are no longer rare, though in many countries their numbers
    are very low. Not so in India, Macedonia, the Philippines, Russia
    and Turkey, where hundreds of thousands of pupils are becoming
    familiar with Open Source.

    This type of software will become more prominent in education,
    expects Datamonitor, a research firm. In a report published last
    month it predicts that spending on Open Source software,
    including maintenance and services, by the education sector
    globally will reach $489.9 million by 2012, compared to $286.2
    million today.

    [....]

    However popular these laptops may become, the number of Western
    European classrooms were Open Source software is being used
    daily, is dwarfed by those in countries like Macedonia, Turkey
    and Russia.

    In Macedonia, a 180.000 PCs running the GNU/Linux distribution
    Ubuntu are being deployed in schools across the country. In
    Turkey all students aged 11 and 12 will find Open Source on their
    schools PCs as an option next to Microsoft Windows. And in
    Russia, the government last year decided to migrate all schools
    to GNU/Linux, a move that should be completed by 2009.
    Such a threat to the Microsoft Corporation it is, that Chairman
    Gates with his little Redmond book made the following statement:

    The increasing popularity of Open Source is one possible reason
    for Microsoft chairman Bill Gates' recent announcement in Davos
    to increase the companies' activities in the education market.
    "Over the next three years we want to double the number of
    students we get to and the number of teachers we get to, to
    address the opportunity there."
    Imagine that, 180,000 PC's, all with Linux installed. This is
    just one country, but then there are others.

    No wonder why Venezuela's Banco Mercantil and Northern California
    Windsor School District have decided on Linux and Open Source,
    along with all these (Linux deployment sampler, incomplete):

    20,000 Singapore Ministry of Defence
    3,500,000 India
    80,000 Extremadura, Spain
    80,000 Générale des Impôts, France
    62,000 Ministry of Equipment, France
    1,154 Parliament, France
    4,000 Federal Public Justice Service, Belgium
    600 Central Bank, Turkey
    300 Scientific and Technological Research Council, Turkey
    1,000 Ministry of Water Resources, Turkey
    300 Istanbul City Health Directorate, Turkey
    12,000 Lower Saxony Tax Authority, Germany
    150 Ministry of Finance, Macedonia
    10,000 Department of Justice, Finland
    1,500 Metropolitan Court, Budapest, Hungary
    58,000 Berlin, Germany
    400 Largo City Offices, Florida
    14,000 Post Office, Brazil
    32,000 Government, Brazil
    2,205 North West Province Schools, South Africa
    15,000 Ministry of Education, Portugal
    20,000 Indianna Department of Education, US
    5,000 Macedonia Schools

    Here is something said of Windsor:

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...245710,00.html

    or http://tinyurl.com/5p5x5o

    The new setup also allows for better remote management. "[With
    Windows] we had spent half our time driving around; we had to
    touch every machine," Carver said. In a school system like
    Windsor, all that driving was costing an already strapped IT
    department too many resources.

    Carver said it cost the district about $2,500 per school to
    migrate to Linux, compared with the estimated $100,000 it would
    have cost to upgrade their Windows infrastructure. In addition,
    buying more Microsoft Office licenses would have cost the
    district $100 per license, she said, whereas OpenOffice was free.

    Linux as a learning tool

    Ultimately, moving to Linux has enabled the Windsor School
    District to build out technology capabilities that wouldn't have
    been possible with Windows.

    "[The students] are able to do more because Linux cost less,"
    Carver said. "Our new computer lab [at Brooks] was set to cost
    $35,000 and ended up costing us $16,000 with Linux [on thin
    clients]."

    And the kids love it too. "The kids think Linux is cool because
    it's new, but what they're really doing is stepping into the 21st
    century," Carver said.
    $2,500 per school to migrate to Linux versus $100,000 per school
    to upgrade Windows. It is not hard to do the math. OpenOffice
    or commercial variant StarOffice meets most office automation
    needs. It reads Office 2003 files and imports them. No one
    wants Office 2007 formats, since they are even incompatible with
    earlier Office variants.

    Better start jumping on the Linux bandwagon, else you will be
    left behind in the unemployment breadline.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  2. Re: Linux just works!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > I also predicted a long time ago that as more noobs use Linux the real
    > truth about Linux "just works" will become painfully evident.

    And it's not just newbs; decade-experienced Linux users are being stumped by
    the slopware.

  3. Re: Linux just works!

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 23:57:55 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> I also predicted a long time ago that as more noobs use Linux the real
    >> truth about Linux "just works" will become painfully evident.

    > And it's not just newbs; decade-experienced Linux users are being stumped by
    > the slopware.

    Yes they are but in the past they would keep these dirty little secrets to
    themselves and wail and flail like retards in denial when asked about them
    so the myth that Linux "just works" became, well, a myth.

    Now that a lot more average people re using Linux and having major troubles
    getting it to work, they can't these facts anymore. The Ubuntu forums are
    chock full of people having all kinds of major problems with Linux.

    IOW the problems with Linux have always been there, but now they are out in
    the open for all to see and laugh at.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Linux just works!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: Linux works! Wake up and smell the coffee!

    On May 2, 11:12*am, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:

    > However popular these laptops may become, the number of Western
    > European classrooms were Open Source software is being used
    > daily, is dwarfed *by those in countries like Macedonia, Turkey
    > and Russia.
    >
    > In Macedonia, a 180.000 PCs running the GNU/Linux distribution
    > Ubuntu are being deployed in schools across the country. In
    > Turkey all students aged 11 and 12 will find Open Source on their
    > schools PCs as an option next to Microsoft Windows. And in
    > Russia, the government last year decided to migrate all schools
    > to GNU/Linux, a move that should be completed by 2009.
    > [/quote]

    Fool, these are all "one original copy" countries--MSFT doesn't want
    them as customers anyway, except for good publicity--they don't pay
    the Bills (Gates).

    The US market is the only one that really matters, followed by Japan,
    UK, G-7 and maybe in the long run China (at best).

    Go MSFT!

    RL

  6. Re: Linux works! Wake up and smell the coffee!

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 08:27:45 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Fool, these are all "one original copy" countries--MSFT doesn't want
    > them as customers anyway, except for good publicity--they don't pay
    > the Bills (Gates).

    I know a few guying at the Wykoff Housing Project here in Brooklyn that
    would like to have a word with you....

    Ruben

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  7. Re: Linux just works!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Thu, 1 May 2008 07:22:43 -0400
    <%IhSj.13347$28.7359@bignews1.bellsouth.net>:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:48:34 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... when a certain other operating system is plagued with viruses,
    >>> worms, botnets, bloat, BSOD, etc etc.

    >> To be fair, Linux is not perfect. No OS is. Linux simply approaches
    >> more closely to perfection than the usually offered alternatives.

    > You can try to fool yourself and a few others with that ridiculous claim,
    > but the rest of the world knows Linux is a pile of amateurish crud that
    > requires insane amounts of time and tweaking to get it to work halfway
    > right.

    Please forward the specifics to the appropriate upstream maintainers.
    They'll want to know this. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  8. Re: Linux just works!

    On 2008-05-05, The Ghost In The Machine claimed:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
    >
    > wrote

    >> You can try to fool yourself and a few others with that ridiculous claim,
    >> but the rest of the world knows Linux is a pile of amateurish crud that
    >> requires insane amounts of time and tweaking to get it to work halfway
    >> right.
    >>

    > Please forward the specifics to the appropriate upstream maintainers.
    > They'll want to know this. ;-)

    It's news to me, too. I installed Debian and haven't done a thing
    except add a few programs, did some minor configuration, and manually
    set up the wireless USB thingamabob.

    One /could/ say DuFuS is just really slow. It would explain why he has
    so much trouble with linux. But that couldn't be. He's actually
    retarded.

    --
    A crash reduces
    Your crap Windows computer