[News] Microsoft's Guerrilla Lobbying Against South African Move to ODF and Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft's Guerrilla Lobbying Against South African Move to ODF and Free Software - Linux ; Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice ,----[ Quote ] | Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm, | this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national | standard. One way to point out ...

  1. [News] Microsoft's Guerrilla Lobbying Against South African Move to ODF and Free Software

    Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm,
    | this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national
    | standard. One way to point out the absurdity of their logic is to replace the
    | reference to ODF with references to any other useful standard that a
    | government might adopt, like electrical standards.
    `----

    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/...of-choice.html

    Microsoft's shills are very busy travelling. Who will they try to sack next?

    Recent:

    Multiple Standards according to ECMA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On a Microsoft event in Portugal, called TechDays 2008, ex-ECMA and now
    | CompTIA (Microsoft lobbyst group) member, Jan van den Beld explains how
    | multiple standards come to be on ECMA *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What does Jan van den Beld - former Secretary General of ECMA - have to say
    | about multiple standards? He seems to be puzzled himself!
    |
    | Quote from his presentation:
    |
    | Q: Why do you want to have 5 [DVD related] formats? Do you still call that
    | standardization?
    | A: You are well paid. Shut up
    |
    | Check out the video at 4:10 and amaze yourself!
    |
    | This was on Microsoft Techdays 2008, in Portugal.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49659...ording-to-ecma

    Return of the Living Dead - Brainless Attack on MoSTI - Part Deux!!!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I dont know what the attraction is, but somehow we all love the morbid
    | fascination of Zombies in action. First, Microsoft^H^H^H^H^HCompTIA hires Mr
    | Jan van der Beld, Ex-Ecma Secretary General, to fly all the way here in KL,
    | for an event supposedly about "good multiple standards". *There he challenges
    | us to find a better way to Fast Track large, immature vendor dependent
    | specifications. The answer is of course: "Don't do it." Later on that same
    | day, like a man possessed, he turns up at a PIKOM meeting only to rant and
    | thump tables. * * *
    |
    | Then today, in our fantastic broadsheet turned tabloid "The New Straits
    | Times" features a "Comment" by our so called "cooler head" Datuk Dr Mohd
    | Ariffin Aton entitled "Walking the Talk on neutrality policy". If you've
    | forgotten about him, you may be forgiven, but he is or rather WAS the CEO if
    | SIRIM Bhd. * *
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-of-the-l.html

    Former ECMA Sec. Gen challenges ISO/BRM critics to create a better process

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "If people say this whole ISO process is lousy, out of date and doesn't work
    | anymore or is broken, I challenge anybody to make a new worldwide process,"
    | van den Beld told PC World while in Australia working for the Computing
    | Technology Industry Association. * *
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1518565063

    Government, NGOs 'turning to Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It's extremely easy - basically anyone can install Linux now."
    |
    | Organisations such as the Shuttleworth Foundation, which help provide
    | computers to underprivileged schools, use Linux instead of Windows to cut
    | costs. *
    `----

    http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/artic...icleId=4366559

    South Africa adopts ODF as a national standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) on Friday approved the Open
    | Document Format (ODF) as an official national South African standard. The
    | adoption of ODF by South Africa opens the way for the businesses and
    | government to adopt ODF more widely in their processes. *
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2365

    Related:

    SA Government's OSS plans revealed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Migration of current systems is also planned. This will be done in a phased
    | approach, beginning with applications such as replacing MS Office with Open
    | Office or KOffice and replacing Internet Explorer with Firefox. This will in
    | time lead up to the operating system, replacing Windows with a Linux
    | distribution. Migration to Apache for the running of government websites has
    | already occurred within a number of departments. * *
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1684

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's Guerrilla Lobbying Against South African Move to ODF and Free Software

+ Reply to Thread