MS Kills Dell Linux distribution - Linux

This is a discussion on MS Kills Dell Linux distribution - Linux ; "Published Tuesday 19th March 2002 10:35 GMT. Microsoft ‘killed Dell Linux’ ... Joachim Kempin ...then in charge of Microsoft's OEM business...raises the possibility of threatening Dell and other PC builders which promote Linux. "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: MS Kills Dell Linux distribution

  1. MS Kills Dell Linux distribution

    "Published Tuesday 19th March 2002 10:35 GMT.
    Microsoft ‘killed Dell Linux’
    ...
    Joachim Kempin ...then in charge of Microsoft's OEM business...raises
    the possibility of threatening Dell and other PC builders which
    promote Linux.

    "I'm thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with
    anti-Linux. ... they should do a delicate dance," Kempin wrote to
    Ballmer, in what is sure to be a memorable addition to the phrases
    ("knife the baby", "cut off the air supply") with which Microsoft
    enriched the English language in the first trial. ...
    Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft
    partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its
    Linux business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its
    desktop PCs in the summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered
    subsequently, six months after we heard Michael Dell declare his love
    of Linux on the desktop the previous winter."

    Microsoft used to bully IBM in a similar way:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/06...a_deal_or_you/

    "From about 20 July, IBM found it was completely cut off from access
    to Windows 95 code, and could not continue with development of models
    incorporating Windows 95

    Though IBM didn't take well to being bullied and worked to make Linux a
    viable alternative in case they were threatened again.

    It makes you wonder if Microsoft did it to Dell again this time. Back in
    February Dell said " It’s exciting to see the IdeaStorm community’s
    interest in open source solutions like Linux and OpenOffice. " By March
    there was a lot of talk but little action save for talk of certifications
    on a few business machines (latitudes). In April - a deafening silence.
    All the while, though, Dell's been selling Linux Inspirons in China (
    http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/65270 ) - so it's not technical
    problems holding them back. Even if the sell the exact same china model
    here it would be a big step forward - I don't doubt the community could
    quickly post ways to set the language preferences to English.

    Something's holding Dell back - what could it be?

    So it's a two part IdeaStorm idea:


    --
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
    http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

    So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

    http://fairuse.nylxs.com DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

    "Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

    "The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

    "> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
    You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt. I guess you missed that one."

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium


  2. Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons (was: MS Kills Dell Linux distribution)

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    but illegal).

    On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    people filtering him out completely.

    So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?

  3. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On May 1, 2:33 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >
    > So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    > even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    > ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    > without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    > but illegal).
    >
    > On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    > doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    > people filtering him out completely.
    >
    > So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?



    Ruben's posting must be factually accurate sinde Erik does not attempt
    to attack its substance but merely its form.

    Rather like the lawyer working for proprietary software clients who
    attacked the layout of the GPL because clauses were numbered from 0
    instead of 1 - as if any judge would be thrown by that.


  4. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:53:18 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:

    > On May 1, 2:33 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >>
    >> So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    >> even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    >> ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    >> without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    >> but illegal).
    >>
    >> On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    >> doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    >> people filtering him out completely.
    >>
    >> So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?

    >
    >
    > Ruben's posting must be factually accurate sinde Erik does not attempt
    > to attack its substance but merely its form.
    >
    > Rather like the lawyer working for proprietary software clients who
    > attacked the layout of the GPL because clauses were numbered from 0
    > instead of 1 - as if any judge would be thrown by that.


    That's a stretch. I don't know if his posts are factually accurate, as
    they're too annoying to bother disecting them. I do know many of them are
    quite old, yet he insinuates that they're new.

  5. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons (was: MS Kills Dell Linux distribution)

    ____/ peterwn on Thursday 01 May 2008 04:53 : \____

    > On May 1, 2:33 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >>
    >> So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    >> even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    >> ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    >> without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    >> but illegal).
    >>
    >> On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    >> doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    >> people filtering him out completely.
    >>
    >> So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?


    I say: "have a nice cup of STFU, Erik." Go away please, Munchkin.

    > Ruben's posting must be factually accurate sinde Erik does not attempt
    > to attack its substance but merely its form.
    >
    > Rather like the lawyer working for proprietary software clients who
    > attacked the layout of the GPL because clauses were numbered from 0
    > instead of 1 - as if any judge would be thrown by that.


    Well, I've received some E-mails from people who say that vicious attacks by
    the usual user accounts of anti-Linux brigadiers have gone active again (not
    just in USENET). In Slashdot, for example, Microsoft shill Jeff Gold
    (aka "AlexGr") is once again attacking Linux. He always does that. The level
    of trolling in mailing lists and forums is claimed to have gone through up the
    roof recently. You can use the "fanatic", "zealot", "tinfoil" and "paranoid"
    labels all you want (in fact, as shown below, Microsoft strongly encourages
    it). The Microsoft AstroTurfing is a fact. It's a reality, explained best by
    Microsoft itself (Oops! That wasn't supposed to have leaked for 'public
    consumption').

    Microsoft must be worried.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
    | deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
    | Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
    | the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
    | the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
    | and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
    | to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
    | time." Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    --- Microsoft, internal document
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Swap: 1510068k total, 640472k used, 869596k free, 46648k cached
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

  6. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On 2008-05-01, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:53:18 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> On May 1, 2:33 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    >> wrote:


    >>> So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?

    >>
    >>
    >> Ruben's posting must be factually accurate sinde Erik does not attempt
    >> to attack its substance but merely its form.
    >>
    >> Rather like the lawyer working for proprietary software clients who
    >> attacked the layout of the GPL because clauses were numbered from 0
    >> instead of 1 - as if any judge would be thrown by that.

    >
    > That's a stretch. I don't know if his posts are factually accurate, as
    > they're too annoying to bother disecting them. I do know many of them are
    > quite old, yet he insinuates that they're new.


    If you know the content is old, that implies you know something about
    the content, and when said content first appeared. Yet you claim to
    know nothing about any factual accuracy.

    You know he's quoting entire articles without attribution, implying you
    have very likely seen the material elsewhere since you know it *exists*
    elsewhere.

    Both of which Which lend themselves as evidence that the driving
    motivation you have has little/nothing to do with anything substantive,
    very possibly because you /can't/ attack the substance.

    Sorry, Erik. I don't join in on your personal gripe sessions about
    others here. I haven't taken your various polls, haven't voted in your
    votes about how I do/don't feel about certain people or topics, etc. If
    you have a problem with Ruben, killfile him and be done with it. If you
    can't bring yourself to do that, it's another area of suspicion about
    your own motivation (can't resist reading everything just in case you
    need to respond, perhaps).

    Ruben /did/ bring you to praise some things about Roy's posting, though
    (an act which will probably get you demoted from Grand Wazoo at the MS
    FUD Club). So I can observe that you seem to be growing, Erik.
    Congratulations!

    --
    Don't throw your PC out of the window. Throw Windows out of your PC.

  7. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Sorry, Erik. I don't join in on your personal gripe sessions about
    > others here. I haven't taken your various polls, haven't voted in your
    > votes about how I do/don't feel about certain people or topics, etc.
    > If you have a problem with Ruben, killfile him and be done with it.
    > If you can't bring yourself to do that, it's another area of
    > suspicion about your own motivation (can't resist reading everything
    > just in case you need to respond, perhaps).
    >
    > Ruben /did/ bring you to praise some things about Roy's posting,
    > though (an act which will probably get you demoted from Grand Wazoo
    > at the MS FUD Club). So I can observe that you seem to be growing,
    > Erik. Congratulations!


    Your puppy-dog obsession with Erik Funkenbusch is sicko.





  8. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:33:52 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >
    > So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    > even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    > ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    > without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    > but illegal).
    >
    > On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    > doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    > people filtering him out completely.
    >
    > So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?


    Looks like you got your answer Erik.

    It just proves once again that Linux advocates in COLA are a collection of
    hypocritical liars who will do anything and accept any form of behavior, no
    matter how crude and dishonest, just to advocate Linux.

    Very sad indeed, but not surprising at all.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:33:52 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >>
    >> So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    >> even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    >> ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    >> without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    >> but illegal).
    >>
    >> On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    >> doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    >> people filtering him out completely.
    >>
    >> So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?

    >
    > Looks like you got your answer Erik.
    >
    > It just proves once again that Linux advocates in COLA are a collection of
    > hypocritical liars who will do anything and accept any form of behavior, no
    > matter how crude and dishonest, just to advocate Linux.


    I think you meant "advocate" Linux.

    >
    > Very sad indeed, but not surprising at all.


    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  10. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:58:01 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:33:52 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:45:19 -0400, Ruben wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So, Ruben thinks he can follow in Roy's footsteps, but he fails to learn
    >>> even the few lessons Roy did. He disregards usenet nettiquite in many
    >>> ways, including long signatures, long line lengths, and posting articles
    >>> without attribution or links to the originals (which is not just annoying,
    >>> but illegal).
    >>>
    >>> On top of that, he doesn't mark said articles like Roy does, because he
    >>> doesn't want people to be able to filter them out, which will only lead to
    >>> people filtering him out completely.
    >>>
    >>> So, COLA advocates, what say you about Ruben's behavior?

    >>
    >> Looks like you got your answer Erik.
    >>
    >> It just proves once again that Linux advocates in COLA are a collection of
    >> hypocritical liars who will do anything and accept any form of behavior, no
    >> matter how crude and dishonest, just to advocate Linux.

    >
    > I think you meant "advocate" Linux.
    >
    >>
    >> Very sad indeed, but not surprising at all.


    Yes...
    Thank you for the correction!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons


  12. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons


  13. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:58:01 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > I think you meant "advocate" Linux.


    Or maybe Avacodo?

    Maybe?

    Ruben

    --
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff
    http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software

    So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

    http://fairuse.nylxs.com DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002

    "Yeah - I write Free Software...so SUE ME"

    "The tremendous problem we face is that we are becoming sharecroppers to our own cultural heritage -- we need the ability to participate in our own society."

    "> I'm an engineer. I choose the best tool for the job, politics be damned.<
    You must be a stupid engineer then, because politcs and technology have been attached at the hip since the 1st dynasty in Ancient Egypt. I guess you missed that one."

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium


  14. Re: Ruben follows in Roy's footsteps, but fails to learn his lessons

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 05:08:58 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    You're not very good at this, are you?

    >> That's a stretch. I don't know if his posts are factually accurate, as
    >> they're too annoying to bother disecting them. I do know many of them are
    >> quite old, yet he insinuates that they're new.

    >
    > If you know the content is old, that implies you know something about
    > the content, and when said content first appeared. Yet you claim to
    > know nothing about any factual accuracy.


    I know the content is old because i've seen some of it before.

    > You know he's quoting entire articles without attribution, implying you
    > have very likely seen the material elsewhere since you know it *exists*
    > elsewhere.


    No, I know he's quoting articles without attribution because he doesn't
    bother to remove navigation text and advertising cutouts from his cut aand
    paste jobs.

    > Both of which Which lend themselves as evidence that the driving
    > motivation you have has little/nothing to do with anything substantive,
    > very possibly because you /can't/ attack the substance.


    Only in your dreams.

    > Ruben /did/ bring you to praise some things about Roy's posting, though
    > (an act which will probably get you demoted from Grand Wazoo at the MS
    > FUD Club). So I can observe that you seem to be growing, Erik.
    > Congratulations!


    I only said Roy learned at least a few lessons.

+ Reply to Thread