what is the worst thing about MS Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on what is the worst thing about MS Windows - Linux ; I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is. Why do people use linux over windows?? Is their one thing about windows that you really ...

  1. what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is. Why do
    people use linux over windows??
    Is their one thing about windows that you really hate, and what is
    it??
    please go to www.alinuxworld.com and click the link on the right side
    of the home page to take the survey

    alinuxworld.com

  2. Re: what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    OMG!

    The only thing more pathetic than this is the site's sponsor -
    http://www.pherlure.com/.

    LOL

    "alinuxworld" wrote in message
    >I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    > im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is. Why do
    > people use linux over windows??
    > Is their one thing about windows that you really hate, and what is
    > it??
    > please go to www.alinuxworld.com and click the link on the right side
    > of the home page to take the survey
    >
    > alinuxworld.com

  3. Re: what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    alinuxworld wrote:

    > I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    > im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is.

    Its evil.

    They know they are evil.

    They know they can try out every evil because they can.

    They know they are above the law.

  4. Re: what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    On 2008-04-30 12:11:21 -0400, alinuxworld said:

    > I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    > im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is.

    Using it.

  5. Re: what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:31:49 -0400, Johnny Borborigmi wrote:

    > On 2008-04-30 12:11:21 -0400, alinuxworld said:
    >
    >> I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    >> im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is.

    > Using it.

    I'd rephrase that as "trying to use it".

    Quick: what caching proxy is bundled to reduce net loading across the
    LAN? None? Pathetic. The one that came bundled - in the sense of being
    presented as part of a coherent whole by inclusion in the system-wide
    package management process - works just fine. Works so well, in fact,
    that when one of our core servers was dying, we dropped that very same
    cache in front of it to take the load off the primary server while we
    rolled out a new machine.

    Quick: what anti-spam measures are bundled? The ones I'm using on my
    desktop are _also_ the ones we're using to reduce our spam load by better
    than 90% on our production hosting mail servers.

    Quick: what bundled support is there for perl, php, C and C++? We use
    each of those languages extensively, and each was bundled with the
    system, no need to dick around hunting compilers - or worse, finding
    compilers which might be perfectly usable, except for licensing issues.

    Quick: what support is bundled for mounting non-native file systems? I
    can mount FAT and NTFS no problem, as well as Reiser, ext, XFS, JFS and
    more, not to mention support for file-system-over-ssh, massively
    distributed file systems and the like.

    Quick: what DB servers are bundled? We do endless DB work, the lion's
    share of which is done with MySQL and Postgres - both bundled.

    Quick: what web server is bundled? No, not some single-site crippled
    piece of crap, I mean a real server, capable of mirroring an enterprise-
    scale hosting operation, as is useful in doing testing and development
    work. ISTR there are actually _several_ options bundled here, but Apache
    fits the bill quite nicely.

    Quick: what Email server is bundled? You know, like Postfix or Exim?
    What? None to speak of? No virtual domain support? No limiting of
    relaying and the like? Bah. I've got at least two such servers -
    bundled.

    Quick: what office suite is bundled? An office suite is arguably the
    single most used "product" (as opposed to "app", like a web browser or
    mail client) for the masses, so surely there's one bundled? No? Funny,
    I've got at least two.

    Quick: what web browsers are bundled? Yeah, there's the one which has
    been getting bad press for years now as being one of the least safe to
    use pieces of junk in existence, but what _else_? Nothing? No other
    options? Funny, I've got several - and the two usual culprits suffer a
    much less extreme range of security and similar problems.

    Quick: what email clients are bundled? Hell, I've got more of those than
    I can shake a stick at. Of the two I most commonly use, one seems to
    bundle anti-spam bayesian analysis right in the app itself, while the
    other doesn't, but offers a "wizard" which tells you how to use bundled
    tools to set up one, two or even several anti-spam apps, which it can
    then detect and use to filter emails. Surely Windows offers something at
    least as good, no? No?

    Quick: what security tools are bundled? No, I don't mean that piddly-ass
    little firewall, I mean full-out intrusion detection, system hardening
    and the like. None? Oh well. I've got more such tools than I can keep
    track of.

    Quick: what multi-node TV and video sharing apps are bundled? You know,
    apps which will let me record TV - or rip DVDs and the like - on any
    machine running the appropriate - bundled - software, complete with ad
    removal, program schedule updating, viewing the video from any machine
    running the same - bundled - software, allowing me to dedicate machines
    to particular purposes, such as removing ads, converting formats, etc?
    Cool stuff, makes Tivo look retarded, but all bundled here so what's the
    equivalent bundled app in Windows?

    Hmm, brings up another point. How about virtualization? turns out to be
    endlessly useful in development and testing. I've got something like
    three packages to do this, not including kernel-level stuff such as xen.
    So what bundled offerings has Windows got? Does your typical Windows
    Home box have _any_?

    Of course, I'm sure that by now, Windows has fully integrated and
    properly supported virtual desktop support, right? Does it also have
    multi-user support? No, not that nonsense of "if you log on, they get
    logged off", I mean your typical home system having the capability to
    have two - or ten - people using their own personalized desktops on the
    machine, all at the same time.

    Well, how about simpler things? How about a text editor smart enough to
    grasp that "text" comes in different types - C source code, PHP source
    code, plain text, HTML, etc, etc, etc, and offering - at the _very_ least
    - syntax highlighting for each?

    No? Hmm. How about a news server equivalent to leafnode, one capable of
    serving up all the users on the LAN, again reducing net load? Such
    things are bundled, here. A typical Windows home machine has such a
    beast as part of its bundled software package, right?

    How about graphics? I keep hearing wonderful things about PhotoShop, so
    of course, that must be a bundled system component, just as GIMP - and
    Krita and more - are bundled here, right? No? Oh, well.

    Of course, one doesn't always want to do _bitmap_ graphics; sometimes one
    needs to do vector graphics. So in goes Inkscape or Karbon or any of a
    couple of others. Windows does, of course, have such stuff bundled, the
    way my system has 'em bundled, right?

    Yeah, fine, most such things are available for "Windows" - though you
    might have to run out and buy a new "server edition" to actually use a
    lot of the stuff, and you can't begin to hope to install or update the
    stuff with the sheer ease with which I can do the job... but that's kinda
    the point.

    It's not that you _can't_ do most things in Windows, you can. It's just
    that getting to that point is such a colossal PITA that you'd have to be
    a professional masochist to want to even try - yet this is almost all
    stuff I can do by clicking a few buttons and going for lunch - and I
    don't have to worry about connection licenses, or limited connections, or
    whether little Jimmy logging on means I'm going to be logged off, or any
    such pointlessly restrictive nonsense.

    Perhaps most importantly, though, is the difference in philosophy. No, I
    don't mean OSS versus CSS or commercial versus community. What I mean is
    this: the stuff I use is designed, from the ground up, to enable me to
    use my machine, to make my machine do what I want it to do. By contrast,
    most Windows-based stuff is designed to let you do what someone _else_
    wants you to do, or in the case of Vista and a few other technologies, to
    actively prevent you using your own computer in the manner in which you
    choose.

    Even if Windows were demonstrably a "better" - more capable - platform,
    something it goes a hell of a long way to put into serious doubt, I for
    one would still choose to use other options, simply because I believe
    that since it is _my_ computer, it should obey me, do what I tell it to
    do. If someone wants my PC to play policeman, to monitor and report or
    prevent what I'm trying to do with it, the *least* they can do is not ask
    me to *pay* them for the "privilege" of giving up control of my machine
    to their pet whims.

    I happen to *like* the idea of a public library largely unfettered by the
    chains of censorship. I happen to *like* the idea of public
    communications largely unfettered by the dictates of thought police. And
    I *definitely* like my PC to be just that - *my PC* - not some sort of
    policing tool for the media houses or the software vendors. I bought it,
    I paid for it, *I* should get to tell *it* what to do - not the other way
    around.

    Microsoft and the Windows world seem to feel otherwise, whether it is
    with restrictive licenses, deceptive practices, DRM which can prevent me
    doing something as trivial as making perfectly legitimate backups of my
    own purchased media for my own archival purposes.

    Even if Windows were easier or more user friendly, I'd _still_ have to
    choose an alternative, to avoid that sort of crap and nonsense.
    Fortunately, though, the alternative I have not only relieves me from
    having to deal with that crap, it is *also* easier and more user friendly.

    What's the worst thing about Windows? Windows is.

  6. Re: what is the worst thing about MS Windows

    On 2008-04-30, alinuxworld wrote:
    > I have a new survey up on http://www.alinuxworld.com with this survey
    > im trying to find out what the worst thing about MS Windows is. Why do
    > people use linux over windows??

    ...lack of control.

    With Windows you don't really get the impresion that you are in
    control. It tends to be less responsive. The desktop is not inherently
    multi-threaded so applications can tend to monopolize the console and
    hang. There's all manner of shovelware that tends to get shipped with
    PCs that tend to bother you and interrrupt what you're doing.

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||