[News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls - Linux ; Apple's Success Brings More Patent Lawsuits ,----[ Quote ] | During the first four months of 2008, Apple was named as a defendant in eight | patent infringement lawsuits, up from five during the same period in 2007. | Only ...

  1. [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    Apple's Success Brings More Patent Lawsuits

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During the first four months of 2008, Apple was named as a defendant in eight
    | patent infringement lawsuits, up from five during the same period in 2007.
    | Only one such lawsuit was filed during the first four months of 2006, on
    | behalf of Burst.com. Apple settled that lawsuit for $10 million last
    | November. The first four months of 2005 also brought just one patent lawsuit
    | against Apple. In 2004, three patent lawsuits were filed against Apple from
    | January through the end of April.
    `----

    They ought to just join ESP and put an end to software patents once and for
    all, just as they publicly protested to labels about DRM.

    There are some KDE and Compiz features that cannot be implemented or included
    because of Apple patents.

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that patch illegal because Apple
    | has an patent on this effect? Confused At least its illegal in the US,
    | not in Europe (afaik we don't have software patents yet).
    `----

    http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?p=7365#7365

    Apple sued over iPhone caller ID

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Figa's patent, describes an "an automatic incoming telephone call number
    | display system for detecting an incoming call and identifying the party
    | associated with the incoming call number". ¬*
    |
    | Like the iPhone, the system "includes a directory of telephone numbers and
    | parties associated with those numbers," and it's equipped with "circuitry
    | detects the origin telephone number of an incoming telephone call and
    | compares that number with numbers in the directory for identifying the
    | calling party." ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...hone_callerid/

    Apple sued for visual voicemail patent infringement - again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is the second time Klausner has had a bash at the suit, after it updated
    | its original complaint from December. The outfit claims both Apple and AT&T
    | infringed its patent of a “Telephone Answering Device Linking Displayed Data
    | with Recorded Audio Message‚ÄĚ. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...t-infringement

    KDE king Seigo talks life, free software and reinventing the desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple doesn't get the open source development model and has a very control
    | oriented corporate culture and that doesn't mesh very well with an open,
    | collaborative environment. Apple is getting better at it, or at least parts
    | of Apple are getting it. I hope to look at it in five years and say this was
    | growing pains for Apple to get where it is.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...885892575;pp;1

    Apple failing to understand open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
    | cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
    | expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
    `----

    http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...rstand_op.html

    Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs showed
    | a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the market--a market
    | shared only with a single other browser, Internet Explorer.
    |
    | Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or simplification,
    | but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal people who use Firefox
    | and other smaller browsers in order to run a "duopoly" with Redmond.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6191562.html

    Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
    | says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
    | inexcusable and negligent.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
    | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
    | people.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...tes-open-sauce

  2. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:30:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
    >| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
    >| people.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...tes-open-sauce

    Wozniak is a visionary.

    You, Roy Schestowitz, are an idiot.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always
    >>> people who want things to be free and the open-source
    >>> movement starts with those sort of people.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...tes-open-sauce

    > Wozniak is a visionary.
    >
    > You, Roy Schestowitz, are an idiot.

    Interesting that this poster attacks the OP rather than comment
    on the article posted. The very words spoken seem to serve as a
    self-indictment.

    Even more ironic are the words at the publisher's banner, "The
    man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything - Edward
    John Phelps".

    This is another self-indictment.

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar
    * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related
    newsgroups

    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  4. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:09:51 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...tes-open-sauce

    >> Wozniak is a visionary.
    >>
    >> You, Roy Schestowitz, are an idiot.

    > Interesting that this poster attacks the OP rather than comment
    > on the article posted. The very words spoken seem to serve as a
    > self-indictment.

    This is COLA you idiot, there is no other way.
    Unless you post 100 percent koolaid drenched *I love Linux and hate
    Windows* messages, you will not be accepted.

    That's because you so called Linux advocates are nuts, hypocrites and
    liars.

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...mper-liar.html

    The "High Plains Thumper" liar
    A worthless nym-shifting moron who has also posted under all sorts of
    "nyms" such as Rafael for example. When accused of 'nym-shifting' he first
    denied it then did a pathetic attempt to ignore the accusation. When
    confronted with overwhelming evidence he then claimed that his pathetic
    nym-shifting was some sort of "social experiment" - is this guy a total
    loser or what?

    He is often taken to task for making ridiculous statements that are grossly
    wrong. When confronted with facts that prove him to be an idiot he resorts
    to childish posting where he replies with some made up FAQ as if it proves
    something. All it proves is that "High Plains Rafael" is simply one of the
    dumbest linux advocates on the planet.

    So have you figured out what gives you away every time with your lame cnntp
    trolling efforts?

    I doubt it.
    You're not that intelligent.

    Now run along and service Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:30:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    (snip)

    > Apple failing to understand open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that |
    > cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more | expensive
    > in the long run than Apple realizes. `----
    >
    > http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/

    apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

    > Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs
    > showed | a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the
    > market--a market | shared only with a single other browser, Internet
    > Explorer. |
    > | Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or
    > simplification, | but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal
    > people who use Firefox | and other smaller browsers in order to run a
    > "duopoly" with Redmond. `----

    Of course he's trying to "steal" customers. he always has.

    (snip)

    > Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who
    > want | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those
    > sort of | people.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...wozniak-hates-

    open-sauce

    >http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2007/07/...ephen-colbert-

    and-other-pranks/>

    RU: The whole idea of Open Source has been a long running dialogue in
    computer culture. Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation see
    it as a crusade. Is it necessary? Or can you have Open Source and
    proprietary stuff going on at the same time?

    SW: A lot of people think that Open Source means "free." It was never
    intended to mean free and it shouldn't mean free. People should be able
    to develop software and market it and have control over what they build.
    But when you sell a product that has a lot of software in it, being Open
    Source means you publish your source. And if somebody else wants to take
    your product and make a specialized version of it that does their few
    special things for their application; or does something a little
    different; or leaves pieces of it out; they can do that and they don't
    owe you a license fee. It just means they were able to improve either
    your mistakes, or the things that you left out that they want.

    RU: Sure. But do you consider that a moral necessity, or...

    SW: I consider it a moral right-ness. I don't know how to speak for
    everybody in society about necessities. But I think it's very honorable
    and it's very good for the customers.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Wozniak is a visionary.
    >>>
    >>> You, Roy Schestowitz, are an idiot.

    >> Interesting that this poster attacks the OP rather than
    >> comment on the article posted. The very words spoken seem
    >> to serve as a self-indictment.

    > This is COLA you idiot, there is no other way. Unless you post
    > 100 percent koolaid drenched *I love Linux and hate Windows*
    > messages, you will not be accepted.
    >
    > That's because you so called Linux advocates are nuts,
    > hypocrites and liars.

    Interesting spin, it reveals more about the character of this
    poster. It is also a poor justification of actions, as the
    charter of this newsgroup is, was, and always has been, "For
    discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems." Rather odd is the hatred expressed toward advocates
    for support the charter.

    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...mper-liar.html
    >
    > The "High Plains Thumper" liar A worthless nym-shifting moron

    There is a difference between

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

    and the trumped up gob****e in the poster's blogspot. Colatrolls
    blogspot speaks the truth.

    > who has also posted under all sorts of "nyms" such as Rafael

    Problem with this blogspot's assessment is that in order to post
    information, has to grossly distort, innuendo and lie in order to
    provide content. Rightly did the authors of

    pen the following observations:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    This is a list of the disinformation tactics that the that
    the anti-Linux propagandists who post in COLA have been using.
    All of these tactics have been used in COLA by the anti-Linux
    propagandists against the Linux advocates and the rest of the
    COLA readership to further the cause of the anti-Linux
    propagandists. This list has been worded as though you are one of
    them, so that you can better see through their eyes how they think.

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents.
    Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    [6.] When your tactics are turned on you, call you opponents
    trolls. Do not accept the fact that by calling someone using
    your tactics a troll that makes you the real troll.

    10. Refuse to admit your errors. Never ever admit your errors no
    matter how blatant they are. If you find no way out and have to
    admit that you are wrong, phrase it so that you can accuse your
    opponent of being wrong.

    12. Blame your stupidity and lies on your opponent. Blame your
    own stupidity on the Linux advocate you are dealing with. Such
    as when you have made an unsupportable claim that suggest a list
    of details and your are asked to present your non-existent list
    reply with, "I don't have to list them for you; you aren't bright
    enough to know what you're missing by using X instead of a real
    Y, I'm not going to explain it to you." Then hope that nobody
    reading the thread realizes that your statement translates as, "I
    lack the knowledge or facts needed to counter your position or
    your position is too complete and accurate to be refuted. So, I
    will say things to sound superior to avoid admitting you are right."

    13. Embarrass your opponent. Locate or create apparently
    embarrassing information or detail and utilize it out of all
    proportion-trying to create a scandal around it, to hijack a
    thread or drive everyone to distraction.

    17. Don't substantiate your claims. Refuse to present evidence
    to support your invalid claims. Repeat your invalid claims and
    have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the same. Do the
    same for any invalid claims that you have notice your anti-Linux
    propagandists comrades make.

    23. Lie. Lie, lie, lie, lie. If you do it often enough you may
    create the appearance of truth.

    28. Start trolling threads. Start threads with subjects like
    "Linsux Sux", "Linux fonts are bad", etc. Manufacture false
    evidence to back up your claims when possible, but don't worry
    that that is not important. All that is important is that you
    consume the efforts and resources of Linux Advocate as they try
    to refute your trolling threads and that you scare the new and
    casual readership of COLA.

    45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux propagandist
    transgressions. Always criticize the behavior of Linux
    Advocates, but, ignore the same and even worse transgressions are
    being committed by your fellow Trespassers.

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as face
    value. Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's statements
    as being true. Accept their interpretations without question,
    don't bother verifying their statements. If they claim something
    against a Linux advocate always side with the anti-Linux
    propagandists.

    49. Restate the issues to support your preconceptions. If the
    issues being discussed in a thread are not exploitable by you for
    your purpose, restate the issues to support your ability to
    attack Linux Advocate opponent.

    53. Use extortion to build an army. Use extortion against a
    group to generate an army of flunkies to do your bidding and do
    you fighting for you. Such as when things are not going the way
    you want in COLA, crosspost a threat in another newsgroup a
    thread of your intention of making thing miserable for them if
    they don't take up your battle for you. This is a dangerous
    tactic for you the anti-Linux propagandists. If they don't react
    the way you wanted them to, you will either have to forget it or
    you could carry our your threat. If you forget it, you will loose
    even more credibility. If you carry out your threat you will
    still loose credibility and you could open yourself up for
    reprisal from those your are hurting by carrying out your threat.
    Even if you do form your army, you will be held responsible for
    the results of their actions on your behalf. A recent case (as of
    this writing) of this tactic being used by a anti-Linux
    propagandists can be revived by reading the thread that resulted
    with the crossposting of Message-ID:
    ozub8.40974$Wf1.7452626@ruti.visi.com to comp.os.linux.advocacy
    and comp.os.linux.misc.

    > He is often taken to task for making ridiculous statements
    > that are grossly wrong. When confronted with facts that prove
    > him to be an idiot he resorts to childish posting where he
    > replies with some made up FAQ as if it proves something. All
    > it proves is that "High Plains Rafael" is simply one of the
    > dumbest linux advocates on the planet.

    The above statement is confirmation of observations penned in the
    official FAQ, particulary quoted above.

    > So have you figured out what gives you away every time with
    > your lame cnntp trolling efforts?

    Interesting statement, but holds very little water. I have not a
    clue who the "anonymous" anti-troll CNNTP poster is. It is
    plainly evident that this poster has neither a clue either,
    grasping at straws, creating false accusations.

    > I doubt it. You're not that intelligent.
    >
    > Now run along and service Roy Schestowitz.

    What is even more interesting is this poster's obsession with Mr.
    Schestowitz, posting gross exaggerations, half-truths, lies about
    him, as he does with other advocacy posters. It is not known why
    the posts exude much animosity. Mr. Schestowitz simply quoted an
    article from theinquirer.net. In return, a completely
    unwarranted ad hominen attack has been provided by this poster.

    Character of the poster reflected in his own statements, equating
    advocates with stupidity when he is totally clueless is a
    self-indictment.

    The following was penned 2,000 years ago. [WEB] Galatians 6:7
    states, "Donít be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man
    sows, that will he also reap."

    In concept, it has been paraphrased as, "What goes around, comes
    around."

    It would not surprise me if a worse fate, even law enforcement or
    other authority were to visit this poster's doorstep or other
    action. There is a cost to all illegal actions. We have seen
    such actions by justices against the Microsoft corporation. The
    truth evidenced itself in publicly available documents from the
    court cases. Fines are for real. The truth cannot be suppressed.

    There is mercy in ceasing and desisting improprietous actions.
    However, at the rate this poster is going, there may not be the
    opportunity for that to evidence itself.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  7. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:35:17 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> [...]

    > self-indictment.
    >
    > The following was penned 2,000 years ago. [WEB] Galatians 6:7
    > states, "Donít be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man
    > sows, that will he also reap."
    >
    > In concept, it has been paraphrased as, "What goes around, comes
    > around."
    >
    > It would not surprise me if a worse fate, even law enforcement or
    > other authority were to visit this poster's doorstep or other
    > action. There is a cost to all illegal actions. We have seen
    > such actions by justices against the Microsoft corporation. The
    > truth evidenced itself in publicly available documents from the
    > court cases. Fines are for real. The truth cannot be suppressed.
    >
    > There is mercy in ceasing and desisting improprietous actions.
    > However, at the rate this poster is going, there may not be the
    > opportunity for that to evidence itself.

    Microsoft ends 'unfair' contract
    Microsoft has announced it is to ditch a controversial contracts provision under investigation in Japan.

    The software giant's statement comes after Japanese fair trade officials raided its Tokyo offices on suspicion of violating anti-monopoly laws.

    Microsoft said it would now be removing the contract detail which prevents computer firms from suing it for any use of their patented technology.

    The Japanese Fair Trade Commission had said it was unfair and restrictive.

    Microsoft is accused of making companies such as NEC, Hitachi and Sony, who want to pre-install its Windows software on their computers, sign away their right to sue, even if they find Microsoft has used their patent technology.

    Continuing denial

    In its statement Microsoft again denied any wrongdoing, but said it would be removing the contract provision for "customer satisfaction" reasons.

    Unless Japanese companies agree to the (non-suing) clause, they cannot pre-install Windows in their computers
    Japanese Fair Trade Commission spokesman

    "Microsoft believes that the patent-related provision is lawful under Japanese, US and EU law," it said.

    Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler said it had been intended to reduce litigation and was "narrow in scope".

    The software giant also said the patent-related provision had been approved by European Union regulators and reviewed by anti-trust authorities in the US.

    The Japanese watchdog said Microsoft was suspected of setting unfair conditions when giving licenses for Windows to Japanese computer makers.

    Latest case

    "Unless Japanese companies agree to the clause, they cannot pre-install Windows in their computers," he said.

    It is not the first time the US software giant has been accused of abusing its monopoly on PC operating systems to push prices higher or harm rivals.

    It faced allegations of unfair trading in 1998, in Japan, and it is in settlement negotiations with the European Commission, which has accused it of trying to stifle competition for multimedia players, by tying its Media Player programme to its Windows operating system.

    RealNetworks is suing Microsoft over the same issue, accusing it of unfairly monopolising the growing market for digital music and video.

    Microsoft has denied such allegations, insisting the market is competitive.

    The company last year said it had settled 10 consumer class action suits in a number of US states at a total cost of $1.6bn. The legal cases accused Microsoft of using its dominant position in the market to overcharge for its software.

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  8. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

  9. Re: [News] Apple Suffers from Patent Trolls

+ Reply to Thread