Ubuntu Hardy - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Hardy - Linux ; Just upgraded my machine as follows: Gusty -> Hardy KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4 In the process, I encountered a couple of issues. First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data directory under /home. Okay, well, I ...

  1. Ubuntu Hardy

    Just upgraded my machine as follows:

    Gusty -> Hardy
    KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4

    In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.

    First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope with
    this, or nuke apparmor.

    Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    Rebuilt, VB works fine.

    smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to - gasp
    - re-enter some usernames and passwords.

    Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.

    In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously oddball
    setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort involved
    was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace a couple
    of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel - and telling
    VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.

    Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:15:02 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >
    > Gusty -> Hardy
    > KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >
    > In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >
    > First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    > directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    > be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope with
    > this, or nuke apparmor.
    >
    > Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    > well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    > vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    > Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >
    > smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to - gasp
    > - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >
    > Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    > somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    > try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >

    > In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously oddball
    > setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort involved
    > was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace a couple
    > of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel - and telling
    > VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >
    > Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Yep.
    Your post proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

    The average user wouldn't stand a prayer of fixing the problems you listed.

    Wait until Ubuntu starts freezing up on you like the user reports are
    indication.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >
    > Gusty -> Hardy
    > KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >
    > In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >
    > First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    > directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    > be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope with
    > this, or nuke apparmor.
    >
    > Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    > well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    > vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    > Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >
    > smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to - gasp
    > - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >
    > Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    > somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    > try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >

    > In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously oddball
    > setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort involved
    > was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace a couple
    > of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel - and telling
    > VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >
    > Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    As usual it "just works" for Kelsey. Meanwhile in the real world:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

    --
    Looks like the channel is back to normal
    You mean it's not scrolling faster than anyone can read?

  4. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:15:02 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >
    >> Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >>
    >> Gusty -> Hardy
    >> KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >>
    >> In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >>
    >> First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    >> directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    >> be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope with
    >> this, or nuke apparmor.
    >>
    >> Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    >> well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    >> vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    >> Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >>
    >> smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to - gasp
    >> - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >>
    >> Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    >> somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    >> try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >>

    >> In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously oddball
    >> setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort involved
    >> was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace a couple
    >> of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel - and telling
    >> VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >>
    >> Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > Yep.
    > Your post proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    >
    > The average user wouldn't stand a prayer of fixing the problems you
    > listed.
    >
    > Wait until Ubuntu starts freezing up on you like the user reports are
    > indication.

    What average user will use those applications?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:34:39 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:15:02 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Gusty -> Hardy
    >>> KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >>>
    >>> In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >>>
    >>> First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    >>> directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens
    >>> to be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope
    >>> with this, or nuke apparmor.
    >>>
    >>> Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed.
    >>> Ah, well, turns out the same script that loads the modules -
    >>> /etc/init.d/ vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the
    >>> kernel modules. Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >>>
    >>> smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to -
    >>> gasp - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >>>
    >>> Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop
    >>> is somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously.
    >>> Should try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >>>

    >>> In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously
    >>> oddball setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort
    >>> involved was running the package manager, telling it to keep or
    >>> replace a couple of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new
    >>> kernel - and telling VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>
    >> Yep.
    >> Your post proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    >>
    >> The average user wouldn't stand a prayer of fixing the problems you
    >> listed.
    >>
    >> Wait until Ubuntu starts freezing up on you like the user reports are
    >> indication.
    >>

    > What average user will use those applications?

    Or more to the point, _in that way_.

    MySQL does _not_ install by default in the manner I use it here, and the
    manner in which it does install by default would, presumably, work just
    fine - meaning that the only thing left for the "average user" to
    actually figure out is how to get VirtualBox working after the upgrade...
    but then, the "average user" isn't likely to be running VirtualBox in the
    first place, and if he is, he *might* ponder that there is documentation
    with it, documentation which exists for a reason. Or he could post a
    question to, oh, a Ubuntu (or a VirtualBox) forum asking for help and
    he's liable to get an answer in jig time.

    Or, in short, the notion of an "average user" having a problem in this
    process, with the tools mentioned, is something only a screaming,
    drooling retard like Goldfart would bring up, as there is simply no
    "average user" equivalence in that scenario.

    When will these morons learn to think?

  6. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    Every day, in a new way, I am grateful, that I can chose Linux.

  7. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:15:19 +0200,
    Hadron wrote:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >
    >> Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >>
    >> Gusty -> Hardy
    >> KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >>
    >> In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >>
    >> First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    >> directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    >> be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope with
    >> this, or nuke apparmor.
    >>
    >> Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    >> well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    >> vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    >> Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >>
    >> smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to - gasp
    >> - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >>
    >> Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    >> somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    >> try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >>

    >> In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously oddball
    >> setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort involved
    >> was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace a couple
    >> of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel - and telling
    >> VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >>
    >> Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.
    >>

    > As usual it "just works" for Kelsey. Meanwhile in the real world:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

    Oh yeah, because the existence of any problem reports, on any forum,
    means something doesn't work at all.

    man, vista and XP must really suck, with HadronLogic(tm)

    usually comes from bad judgement.

  8. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:00:03 GMT,
    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:34:39 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>
    >>> Yep.
    >>> Your post proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    >>>
    >>> The average user wouldn't stand a prayer of fixing the problems you
    >>> listed.
    >>>
    >>> Wait until Ubuntu starts freezing up on you like the user reports are
    >>> indication.
    >>>

    >> What average user will use those applications?

    > Or more to the point, _in that way_.
    >
    > MySQL does _not_ install by default in the manner I use it here, and the
    > manner in which it does install by default would, presumably, work just
    > fine - meaning that the only thing left for the "average user" to
    > actually figure out is how to get VirtualBox working after the upgrade...
    > but then, the "average user" isn't likely to be running VirtualBox in the
    > first place, and if he is, he *might* ponder that there is documentation
    > with it, documentation which exists for a reason. Or he could post a
    > question to, oh, a Ubuntu (or a VirtualBox) forum asking for help and
    > he's liable to get an answer in jig time.

    I have the default mysql install on my laptop, no issues with upgrade.

    > Or, in short, the notion of an "average user" having a problem in this
    > process, with the tools mentioned, is something only a screaming,
    > drooling retard like Goldfart would bring up, as there is simply no
    > "average user" equivalence in that scenario.
    >
    > When will these morons learn to think?

    they could learn, but they're trolls, trolls lie, simple as that.

    You live and learn. Or you don't live long.
    -- Lazarus Long

  9. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >
    > Gusty -> Hardy
    > KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >
    > In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >
    > First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    > directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens
    > to be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to
    > cope with this, or nuke apparmor.
    >
    > Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed.
    > Ah, well, turns out the same script that loads the modules -
    > /etc/init.d/ vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the
    > kernel modules. Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >
    > smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to -
    > gasp - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >
    > Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop
    > is somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously.
    > Should try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >

    > In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously
    > oddball setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total
    > effort involved was running the package manager, telling it to keep
    > or replace a couple of changed config files, rebooting - to get the
    > new kernel - and telling VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >
    > Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    getting opensuse 10.3 to work."

    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

  10. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-04-30, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > Upgraded my laptop over the weekend, from 7.10 to 8.04, and even
    > suspended in the middle of the upgrade (was at work, had to go home) and
    > it worked fine. The only bobble was it took a long time to come out of
    > hibernate the first time, like a minute, maybe 90sec. Subsequent
    > hibernate resumes take the usual 35-45sec.

    Crikey! My laptop cold boots in less time than that....

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  11. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-04-30, Jim Richardson wrote:
    >
    >> Upgraded my laptop over the weekend, from 7.10 to 8.04, and even
    >> suspended in the middle of the upgrade (was at work, had to go home) and
    >> it worked fine. The only bobble was it took a long time to come out of
    >> hibernate the first time, like a minute, maybe 90sec. Subsequent
    >> hibernate resumes take the usual 35-45sec.

    > Crikey! My laptop cold boots in less time than that....

    I haven't done any timings, but my new 2.6.25 kernel seems to boot
    faster than the 2.6.24 one. Odd.

    --
    Unfortunately, many programs are so big that there is no one individual who
    really knows all the pieces, and so the amount of code sharing you get isn't

  12. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
    but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

  13. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:47:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >>
    >> Gusty -> Hardy
    >> KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >>
    >> In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >>
    >> First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    >> directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens
    >> to be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to
    >> cope with this, or nuke apparmor.
    >>
    >> Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed.
    >> Ah, well, turns out the same script that loads the modules -
    >> /etc/init.d/ vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the
    >> kernel modules. Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >>
    >> smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to -
    >> gasp - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >>
    >> Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop
    >> is somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously.
    >> Should try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >>

    >> In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously
    >> oddball setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total
    >> effort involved was running the package manager, telling it to keep
    >> or replace a couple of changed config files, rebooting - to get the
    >> new kernel - and telling VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >>
    >> Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.

    > "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work
    > getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    >
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    Only a week?

    Most new users to Linux don't make it past a day before they toss it.
    The guy must have the patience of the Pope.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

  15. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-01, Linonut wrote:
    > * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-30, Jim Richardson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Upgraded my laptop over the weekend, from 7.10 to 8.04, and even
    >>> suspended in the middle of the upgrade (was at work, had to go home) and
    >>> it worked fine. The only bobble was it took a long time to come out of
    >>> hibernate the first time, like a minute, maybe 90sec. Subsequent
    >>> hibernate resumes take the usual 35-45sec.

    >> Crikey! My laptop cold boots in less time than that....

    > I haven't done any timings, but my new 2.6.25 kernel seems to boot
    > faster than the 2.6.24 one. Odd.

    Why would it be odd? I'd expect refinements with each new kernel
    release, especially a major version bump (2.6.x to 2.6.x+1).

    2.6.25 is still masked x86 unstable in Gentoo. Hopefully it will be
    released in the next few weeks and I'll give it a try.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    "Gregory Shearman" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-01, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Crikey! My laptop cold boots in less time than that....

    >> I haven't done any timings, but my new 2.6.25 kernel seems to boot
    >> faster than the 2.6.24 one. Odd.
    >>

    > Why would it be odd? I'd expect refinements with each new kernel
    > release, especially a major version bump (2.6.x to 2.6.x+1).

    How exactly is going from a 2.6.24 kernel to a 2.6.25 a major version bump?

    And if a point revision is a "major version bump" what exactly would be a
    minor revision?

    > 2.6.25 is still masked x86 unstable in Gentoo. Hopefully it will be
    > released in the next few weeks and I'll give it a try.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Gregory.
    > Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  17. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-05-01, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Crikey! My laptop cold boots in less time than that....

    >> I haven't done any timings, but my new 2.6.25 kernel seems to boot
    >> faster than the 2.6.24 one. Odd.

    > Why would it be odd? I'd expect refinements with each new kernel
    > release, especially a major version bump (2.6.x to 2.6.x+1).

    I've found that sometimes bad behavior creeps in. Like, for a long
    time, one machine would pause a /lot/ on reboot, waiting on a message
    from the ATA driver.

    Then, one day (2.6.24, I think), that problem went away.

    I've had a devilish time transitioning wireless away from ipw3945 to the
    newer (but not new) iwl3945. Couldn't get that sumbitch to work. I
    could get the interface up, but not associate. Decided to wait for
    2.6.25, but had the same problem.

    Still couldn't get it to work. I finally disabled these daemons:
    wpa_supplicant, ifplugd, and guessnet, and installed NetworkManager.
    Disabled everything in /etc/network/interfaces, and now it works
    very well. If a wire is plugged in, that gets turned on. Otherwise,
    I can take my pick of wireless routers.

    It's a bit too Windozy to me, I'd rather have it all hidden in the
    background.

    > 2.6.25 is still masked x86 unstable in Gentoo. Hopefully it will be
    > released in the next few weeks and I'll give it a try.

    I got into the habit of rolling my own early on (before Debian started
    packaging updates, or at least before I knew they did).

    However, I haven't ever tried combing through the configuration to
    remove anything that isn't needed by my machine, yet.

    --
    Q. Why does the Linux user compile his kernel?
    A. Because he can.

  18. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On 2008-05-03, Linonut wrote:
    > * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-01, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I haven't done any timings, but my new 2.6.25 kernel seems to boot
    >>> faster than the 2.6.24 one. Odd.

    >> Why would it be odd? I'd expect refinements with each new kernel
    >> release, especially a major version bump (2.6.x to 2.6.x+1).

    > I've found that sometimes bad behavior creeps in. Like, for a long
    > time, one machine would pause a /lot/ on reboot, waiting on a message
    > from the ATA driver.

    Yeah, my Thinkpad hates the kernel APIC routines. I boot it -noapic to
    get rid of uncomfortable pauses while the interrupt controller routines
    are doing god knows what on my IBM...

    Sigh! Nothing is perfect, but thankfully there's always a workaround.

    > Then, one day (2.6.24, I think), that problem went away.

    I should try booting again with apic enabled. It may have been fixed and
    I've missed it.

    > I've had a devilish time transitioning wireless away from ipw3945 to the
    > newer (but not new) iwl3945. Couldn't get that sumbitch to work. I
    > could get the interface up, but not associate. Decided to wait for
    > 2.6.25, but had the same problem.

    Hmmm... I'm rather well served with madwifi for my Atheros AR5212 Wifi.
    Sometimes a kernel version bump will upset the applecart, but usually I
    just grab the newer driver (unstable) and use it... but that's the price
    you pay for hanging a binary blob driver off your kernel.

    You have to know what you are doing to run Gentoo.

    > Still couldn't get it to work. I finally disabled these daemons:
    > wpa_supplicant, ifplugd, and guessnet, and installed NetworkManager.
    > Disabled everything in /etc/network/interfaces, and now it works
    > very well. If a wire is plugged in, that gets turned on. Otherwise,
    > I can take my pick of wireless routers.

    > It's a bit too Windozy to me, I'd rather have it all hidden in the
    > background.

    Gentoo has /etc/conf.d/net (in baselayout 1.x - it is changing in
    baselayout 2.x). This file is easy to edit and has examples for all of
    your networking needs (well almost).

    The main problem with wifi is that it is still new technology. Standards
    simply haven't had a chance to be established.

    >> 2.6.25 is still masked x86 unstable in Gentoo. Hopefully it will be
    >> released in the next few weeks and I'll give it a try.

    > I got into the habit of rolling my own early on (before Debian started
    > packaging updates, or at least before I knew they did).
    >
    > However, I haven't ever tried combing through the configuration to
    > remove anything that isn't needed by my machine, yet.

    I've been rolling my own for more than a decade. It's become second
    nature. It's easy to experiment as long as you keep a fallback to the
    original working kernel.

    I've crafted a nice bash script to do a kernel update. The script uses
    the O= option to put the build in another directory. This
    keeps the downloaded kernel directory in original (but gentoo patched)
    condition. The script makes use of the "dialog" program (curses library)
    which is also a feature of "make menuconfig".

    Updating a kernel requires one command... and then I can browse the
    configuration make changes or not... it builds and installs it for me.

    Gentoo has genkernel to build kernels but I've never liked what it
    produces, preferring to build my own, my own way. I still use genkernel
    to produce an initrd for my big desktop machine. This machine has every
    filesystem except /boot running on LVM partitions so I need the lvm
    tools in order to start up my root partion. Genkernel is rather
    braindead and keeps trying to find my /usr/src/linux/.config file and
    doesn't recognise the KBUILD_OUTPUT environmental variable. I've had to
    hack genkernel so that I can get it to build my initrd files.

    To do your kernel properly you really need to know your machines.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  19. Re: Ubuntu Hardy

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:51:47 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:15:19 +0200,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >>
    >>> Just upgraded my machine as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Gusty -> Hardy
    >>> KDE 3.5 -> KDE 4
    >>>
    >>> In the process, I encountered a couple of issues.
    >>>
    >>> First, mysql. AppArmor doesn't seem to like mysql having a data
    >>> directory under /home. Okay, well, I don't either, but that happens to
    >>> be the way this box is set up. Fix: either set up apparmor to cope
    >>> with this, or nuke apparmor.
    >>>
    >>> Second, VirtualBox. Wouldn't load modules - new kernel installed. Ah,
    >>> well, turns out the same script that loads the modules - /etc/init.d/
    >>> vboxdrv - also has an option "setup" which rebuilds the kernel modules.
    >>> Rebuilt, VB works fine.
    >>>
    >>> smb4k uses a new configuration file, apparently, meaning I had to -
    >>> gasp - re-enter some usernames and passwords.
    >>>
    >>> Apart from that, no surprises yet. Well, no, not true. The desktop is
    >>> somewhat "snappier" - more responsive - than it was previously. Should
    >>> try this with a low-latency kernel, see how it fares.
    >>>

    >>> In short, apart from one oddball issue as a result of a seriously
    >>> oddball setup, something few are likely to duplicate, the total effort
    >>> involved was running the package manager, telling it to keep or replace
    >>> a couple of changed config files, rebooting - to get the new kernel -
    >>> and telling VirtualBox to rebuild its modules.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, Linux is just so freakin' hard to use.
    >>>

    >> As usual it "just works" for Kelsey. Meanwhile in the real world:
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333
    >>

    > Oh yeah, because the existence of any problem reports, on any forum, means
    > something doesn't work at all.

    What works for some people, may not work for others. But idiots like Quack
    see *some* forum members reporting a problem, & jump to a conclusion that
    it doesn't work for *anyone*. Maybe he's a twin to DooFu$. Maybe he's also
    jealous of those that *can* get it working, because *he* can't.

    > man, vista and XP must really suck, with HadronLogic(tm)

    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it must be Quack.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

+ Reply to Thread