  1. Windows sales drop 25%

    Is this the beginning of the end?

    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...a-quarter.aspx

    -RFH

  2. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    news:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

    > Is this the beginning of the end?

    No. But that doesn't stop "advocates" from claiming for the past 10 years
    that it's the end.

    > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...a-quarter.aspx

    Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change. Sales are down from a year ago
    but last years sales were artificially high because of deferred revenue.
    Because of finance/accounting regularions Microsoft couldn't charge
    customers for Vista until the product actually shipped. When it finally
    shipped they saw a large "one-time" increase in revenue a year ago. So now
    you're comparing regular sales and regular revenue to last years sales PLUS
    the deferred revenue.

    I know it's hard for you but do get a clue.

  3. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:36:02 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Is this the beginning of the end?
    >
    > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...drop-nearly-a-

    quarter.aspx

    > -RFH

    No, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

  4. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    On Apr 29, 10:41 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in messagenews:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    >

    > > Is this the beginning of the end?

    > No. But that doesn't stop "advocates" from claiming for the past 10 years
    > that it's the end.
    >
    > >http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...nearly-a-quart...

    > Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change. Sales are down from a year ago
    > but last years sales were artificially high because of deferred revenue.
    > Because of finance/accounting regularions Microsoft couldn't charge
    > customers for Vista until the product actually shipped. When it finally
    > shipped they saw a large "one-time" increase in revenue a year ago. So now
    > you're comparing regular sales and regular revenue to last years sales PLUS
    > the deferred revenue.
    >

    > I know it's hard for you but do get a clue.
    > Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change.

    Ezekiel:

    You are obviously trying to debate the author of that magazine
    article, and for some unfathomable reason you seem to believe that he
    follows COLA.

    His name is Guy Dixon, and you can contact him through this link:

    http://www.itnews.com.au/Feedback/Fe...07&Story=74904

    You are welcome,

    -Ramon

  5. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    > On Apr 29, 10:41 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in
    >> messagenews:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    >>

    >> > Is this the beginning of the end?

    >> No. But that doesn't stop "advocates" from claiming for the past 10 years
    >> that it's the end.
    >>
    >> >http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...nearly-a-quart...

    >> Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change. Sales are down from a year
    >> ago
    >> but last years sales were artificially high because of deferred revenue.
    >> Because of finance/accounting regularions Microsoft couldn't charge
    >> customers for Vista until the product actually shipped. When it finally
    >> shipped they saw a large "one-time" increase in revenue a year ago. So
    >> now
    >> you're comparing regular sales and regular revenue to last years sales
    >> PLUS
    >> the deferred revenue.
    >>

    > > I know it's hard for you but do get a clue.
    > > Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change.

    > Ezekiel:

    Hi Ramon.

    > You are obviously trying to debate the author of that magazine
    > article, and for some unfathomable reason you seem to believe that he
    > follows COLA.

    Actually... I'm following up a post by you who suggests that "this is the
    beginning of the end" somehow. The author of the article correctly included
    this which explains exactly what I said.

    Microsoft attributed the fall to US$1.2 billion in previously deferred
    revenue recognised in last year's third quarter from its Express Upgrade to
    Windows Vista Technology Guarantee programme.

    > His name is Guy Dixon, and you can contact him through this link:
    >
    > http://www.itnews.com.au/Feedback/Fe...07&Story=74904
    >
    > You are welcome,
    >
    > -Ramon

  6. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:36 : \____

    > Is this the beginning of the end?

    No, that was a while ago. Microsoft probably jumped the shark when it revealed
    it was approaching debt. It surprised a lot of people, me included.
    Microsoft's SEC filings also aligns with Ballmer's confession that Linux -- or
    the GPL at large -- harms Microsoft's profitability.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
    holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
    Who are they trying to kid?"
    --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat

  7. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:56 : \____

    > On Apr 29, 10:41 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in

    messagenews:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

    >> > Is this the beginning of the end?

    >> No. But that doesn't stop "advocates" from claiming for the past 10 years
    >> that it's the end.
    >>
    >> >http://www.itnews.com.au/News/74904,...nearly-a-quart...

    >> Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change. Sales are down from a year ago
    >> but last years sales were artificially high because of deferred revenue.
    >> Because of finance/accounting regularions Microsoft couldn't charge
    >> customers for Vista until the product actually shipped. When it finally
    >> shipped they saw a large "one-time" increase in revenue a year ago. So now
    >> you're comparing regular sales and regular revenue to last years sales PLUS
    >> the deferred revenue.
    >>

    > > I know it's hard for you but do get a clue.
    > > Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change.

    > Ezekiel:
    >
    > You are obviously trying to debate the author of that magazine
    > article, and for some unfathomable reason you seem to believe that he
    > follows COLA.
    >
    > His name is Guy Dixon, and you can contact him through this link:
    >
    > http://www.itnews.com.au/Feedback/Fe...07&Story=74904
    >
    > You are welcome,
    >
    > -Ramon

    Tell the Munchkin to mail Mary Jo, Joe Wilcox and dozens of other pro-Microsoft
    journalists that could not find better explanations (other than lame excuses)
    for this major drop. Apple's sales of Mac computers (as opposed to iPhones and
    Apple TV) saw a huge jump. As for Linux, there is no way of telling, but
    surveys suggest that the number of users doubled over the past year.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
    Protocol)
    Tasks: 117 total, 2 running, 115 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  8. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    On 2008-04-29, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:56 : \____
    >
    >> On Apr 29, 10:41 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >>> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in
    >>>

    > messagenews:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

    >>> No. But that doesn't stop "advocates" from claiming for the past 10 years
    >>> that it's the end.

    >>> Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change. Sales are down from a year ago
    >>> but last years sales were artificially high because of deferred revenue.
    >>> Because of finance/accounting regularions Microsoft couldn't charge
    >>> customers for Vista until the product actually shipped. When it finally
    >>> shipped they saw a large "one-time" increase in revenue a year ago. So now
    >>> you're comparing regular sales and regular revenue to last years sales PLUS
    >>> the deferred revenue.
    >>>

    >> > I know it's hard for you but do get a clue.
    >> > Try comparing apples-to-apples for a change.

    >> Ezekiel:
    >>
    >> You are obviously trying to debate the author of that magazine
    >> article, and for some unfathomable reason you seem to believe that he
    >> follows COLA.
    >>
    >> His name is Guy Dixon, and you can contact him through this link:
    >>
    >> http://www.itnews.com.au/Feedback/Fe...07&Story=74904
    >>
    >> You are welcome,
    >>
    >> -Ramon

    > Tell the Munchkin to mail Mary Jo, Joe Wilcox and dozens of other pro-Microsoft
    > journalists that could not find better explanations (other than lame excuses)
    > for this major drop. Apple's sales of Mac computers (as opposed to iPhones and
    > Apple TV) saw a huge jump. As for Linux, there is no way of telling, but
    > surveys suggest that the number of users doubled over the past year.

    Roy - near as I can make out, revenue was actually up compared to the
    proceding quarter, and actually beat projections (slightly). Compared
    to the same quarter last year, it was down - but, that was the quarter
    that everyone was saying was falsely inflated because of the $1.2B
    deferal... As I understand it, if you remove the 1.2B from the quarter
    a year ago, and do the comparison, then there was something like 4% (I
    could have this figure wrong - I'm running on memory here) growth.

    What was disapointing was the profits - which were down, but the major
    reason for that was because of the huge EU fine they had to pay this
    quarter (equating to something like 15 cents/share). Also, it appears
    that because of the current economic situation that the US is in, many
    companies were delaying plans to upgrade (especially office), so they
    got a small hit in office revenue.

    I think you are reading way to much into this. Now... If this
    continues, for a couple of quaters (next quarter is traditionally a slow
    one for MS) then maybe you have a point. I'm no economist, and I'm
    pretty ignorant on these matters - but, I don't think you can say
    anything about MS's future off of one slightly disapointing quarter -
    especially when the US is currently sitting on the verge of a recession.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  9. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    Tom Shelton writes:

    > On 2008-04-29, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:56 : \____

    >> messagenews:b61db9f2-9133-4bea-914e-c35109dafbd5@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

    >>> Ezekiel:
    >>>
    >>> You are obviously trying to debate the author of that magazine
    >>> article, and for some unfathomable reason you seem to believe that he
    >>> follows COLA.
    >>>
    >>> His name is Guy Dixon, and you can contact him through this link:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.itnews.com.au/Feedback/Fe...07&Story=74904
    >>>
    >>> You are welcome,
    >>>
    >>> -Ramon

    >> Tell the Munchkin to mail Mary Jo, Joe Wilcox and dozens of other pro-Microsoft
    >> journalists that could not find better explanations (other than lame excuses)
    >> for this major drop. Apple's sales of Mac computers (as opposed to iPhones and
    >> Apple TV) saw a huge jump. As for Linux, there is no way of telling, but
    >> surveys suggest that the number of users doubled over the past year.
    >>

    > Roy - near as I can make out, revenue was actually up compared to the
    > proceding quarter, and actually beat projections (slightly). Compared
    > to the same quarter last year, it was down - but, that was the quarter
    > that everyone was saying was falsely inflated because of the $1.2B
    > deferal... As I understand it, if you remove the 1.2B from the quarter
    > a year ago, and do the comparison, then there was something like 4% (I
    > could have this figure wrong - I'm running on memory here) growth.
    >
    > What was disapointing was the profits - which were down, but the major
    > reason for that was because of the huge EU fine they had to pay this
    > quarter (equating to something like 15 cents/share). Also, it appears
    > that because of the current economic situation that the US is in, many
    > companies were delaying plans to upgrade (especially office), so they
    > got a small hit in office revenue.
    >
    > I think you are reading way to much into this.

    Roy is reading nothing into this. As usual he is talking garbage.

  10. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    Tom Shelton wrote:

    > - but, I don't think you can say
    > anything about MS's future off of one slightly disapointing quarter -
    > especially when the US is currently sitting on the verge of a recession.

    An average of three consecutive recent quarters compared to an average
    of three consecutive quarters a year earlier would tell the story.

    You can correct for any recession by making the same comparison for
    computer sales. If Windows is maintaining market share, the change in
    computer sales will match the change in Windows sales.

    One trend that can't be denied is that MS is getting less per copy of
    Windows sold or given. That represents price drops due to piracy and Linux.

  11. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    Matt writes:

    > Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> - but, I don't think you can say
    >> anything about MS's future off of one slightly disapointing quarter -
    >> especially when the US is currently sitting on the verge of a recession.

    > An average of three consecutive recent quarters compared to an average
    > of three consecutive quarters a year earlier would tell the story.
    >
    > You can correct for any recession by making the same comparison for
    > computer sales. If Windows is maintaining market share, the change in
    > computer sales will match the change in Windows sales.
    >
    > One trend that can't be denied is that MS is getting less per copy of
    > Windows sold or given. That represents price drops due to piracy and
    > Linux.

    Due to Linux? How so?

  12. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    ____/ Matt on Tuesday 29 April 2008 21:59 : \____

    > Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    >> - but, I don't think you can say
    >> anything about MS's future off of one slightly disapointing quarter -
    >> especially when the US is currently sitting on the verge of a recession.

    > An average of three consecutive recent quarters compared to an average
    > of three consecutive quarters a year earlier would tell the story.
    >
    > You can correct for any recession by making the same comparison for
    > computer sales. If Windows is maintaining market share, the change in
    > computer sales will match the change in Windows sales.
    >
    > One trend that can't be denied is that MS is getting less per copy of
    > Windows sold or given. That represents price drops due to piracy and Linux.

    I'd give Tom the benefit of the doubt if this wasn't the first time that he
    span a loss in Microsoft's favour.

    As I said before, he should "mail Mary Jo, Joe Wilcox and dozens of other
    pro-Microsoft journalists that could not find better explanations (other than
    lame excuses) for this major drop."

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=

  13. Re: Windows sales drop 25%

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:48:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Matt on Tuesday 29 April 2008 21:59 : \____
    >
    >> Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >>> - but, I don't think you can say
    >>> anything about MS's future off of one slightly disapointing quarter -
    >>> especially when the US is currently sitting on the verge of a recession.

    >> An average of three consecutive recent quarters compared to an average
    >> of three consecutive quarters a year earlier would tell the story.
    >>
    >> You can correct for any recession by making the same comparison for
    >> computer sales. If Windows is maintaining market share, the change in
    >> computer sales will match the change in Windows sales.
    >>
    >> One trend that can't be denied is that MS is getting less per copy of
    >> Windows sold or given. That represents price drops due to piracy and Linux.

    > I'd give Tom the benefit of the doubt if this wasn't the first time that he
    > span a loss in Microsoft's favour.
    >
    > As I said before, he should "mail Mary Jo, Joe Wilcox and dozens of other
    > pro-Microsoft journalists that could not find better explanations (other than
    > lame excuses) for this major drop."

    And of course an idiot like you, Roy Schestowitz can......
    You're truly a legend in your own mind, Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  14. Re: Windows sales drop 25%