[News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe! - Linux ; Unbundling Microsoft Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled operating | system, according to this submission to the European Commission. It says that | the bundling of Microsoft Windows with computers ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe!

    Unbundling Microsoft Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled operating
    | system, according to this submission to the European Commission. It says that
    | the bundling of Microsoft Windows with computers is not in the public
    | interest, and prevents meaningful competition in the operating system market.
    `----

    http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...-200709231241/

    Free-market think tank urges EU to unbundle Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Globalisation Institute, a European think-tank run by free market
    | advocates, today went on the offensive against Microsoft, calling on the EU
    | to require all PCs to be sold without operating systems.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...dows_bundling/

    What a great bunch of news recently! Now let's see people going out to buy
    Vista for $700+ in the Netherlands instead of just using Linux ('full'
    edition) on their new PC.

    Related:

    French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | UFC-Que Choisir legal officer Sandra Wouhling said current
    | practice effectively forced ordinary consumers to buy computers
    | using Microsoft operating systems whereas companies anda
    | dministrations were offered a real choice.
    `----

    http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu

    Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
    | federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
    | computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
    | manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
    | to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
    | other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
    | chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
    |
    | "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
    | remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
    | and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
    | competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/micro...rial.html?.v=1

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe!

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:02:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Unbundling Microsoft Windows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled operating
    >| system, according to this submission to the European Commission. It says that
    >| the bundling of Microsoft Windows with computers is not in the public
    >| interest, and prevents meaningful competition in the operating system market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...-200709231241/

    Yeah, like that's going to happen.

    Forcing the user to install their OS, or forcing computer stores to do will
    only increase costs, liability for the installer, and put undue burden on
    distributors.

    Anyone that thinks this is a good idea has never had to work in a PC supply
    chain.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Unbundling Microsoft Windows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled
    > | operating system, according to this submission to the European
    > | Commission. It says that the bundling of Microsoft Windows with
    > | computers is not in the public interest, and prevents meaningful
    > | competition in the operating system market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...etition-policy

    unbundling-microsoft-windows-200709231241/

    Great stuff - it means more IT jobs for installers, configurators,
    maintainers, and recommenders.

    EU should go for it NOW!!!

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:27:59 GMT
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Unbundling Microsoft Windows
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled
    >> | operating system, according to this submission to the European
    >> | Commission. It says that the bundling of Microsoft Windows with
    >> | computers is not in the public interest, and prevents meaningful
    >> | competition in the operating system market.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...etition-policy

    > unbundling-microsoft-windows-200709231241/
    >
    > Great stuff - it means more IT jobs for installers, configurators,
    > maintainers, and recommenders.
    >
    > EU should go for it NOW!!!

    The paper doesn't go into that much detail, from what
    I've seen thus far, and the gains for third-party system
    integrators may well be offset by job losses by antivirus
    software developers and "bounty hunters".

    I wish I knew for sure. I prefer the Linux mindset,
    admittedly; at least with Linux one has a fighting chance
    of keeping the nastier sorts at bay.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachment in Europe!

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 24 September 2007 23:35 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:27:59 GMT
    > :
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unbundling Microsoft Windows
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...etition-policy

    >> unbundling-microsoft-windows-200709231241/
    >>
    >> Great stuff - it means more IT jobs for installers, configurators,
    >> maintainers, and recommenders.
    >>
    >> EU should go for it NOW!!!
    >>

    > The paper doesn't go into that much detail, from what
    > I've seen thus far, and the gains for third-party system
    > integrators may well be offset by job losses by antivirus
    > software developers and "bounty hunters".
    >
    > I wish I knew for sure. I prefer the Linux mindset,
    > admittedly; at least with Linux one has a fighting chance
    > of keeping the nastier sorts at bay.

    The French have been asking for his for a while. The UK will have it discussed
    wnext week, with Sirius, Alfresco, and OIN involved. This paper, which does
    _not_ come from Free software advocates, it a highly effective weapon against
    stubborn diplomats. Hopefully, PCs in the UK will be sold with certification
    for OSes (authorised and tested for use with X, Y, and Z at the least) rather
    than have things preinstalled (with all sorts of unwanted junkware).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
    run-level 2 2007-09-10 01:53 last=

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft at Risk of Losing ENTIRE OEM Tieup/Attachmentin Europe!

    On 2007-09-24 20:11, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:02:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Unbundling Microsoft Windows
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled operating
    >> | system, according to this submission to the European Commission. It says that
    >> | the bundling of Microsoft Windows with computers is not in the public
    >> | interest, and prevents meaningful competition in the operating system market.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.globalisation.eu/briefing...-200709231241/

    > Yeah, like that's going to happen.
    >
    > Forcing the user to install their OS, or forcing computer stores to do will
    > only increase costs, liability for the installer, and put undue burden on
    > distributors.
    >
    > Anyone that thinks this is a good idea has never had to work in a PC supply
    > chain.

    Why not just tell the customers to call Microsoft for help, or ask them to
    make a better install program.

    If they buy a coffee machine they will not ask the seller how to make the coffee

    Things has just been twisted for so long that computer sellers are forced to
    do Microsoft support for nothing.

    Maybe there is a need for new companies that help customers to install and use
    the software, so we don't have to pay for it as an added cost to the hardware.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread