Linux: make sure you keep your receipt - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: make sure you keep your receipt - Linux ; "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving refunds." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving
    refunds."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

  2. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving
    > refunds."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

    An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    it is a general linux problem.

  3. Re: Vista ME: make sure you keep your receipt

    peterwn wrote:

    > On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving
    >> refunds."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

    > An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    > it is a general linux problem.

    DuFuS is Micro$haft FUDite, pure and simple. He doesn't care what he writes,
    as long as his anti-Linux title keeps showing up in COLA. Please change
    change the title before responding, or you're doing his work.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    RonB wrote:

    > DuFuS is Micro$haft FUDite, pure and simple.

    I couldn't care much less about Microsoft than I do right now... or than I
    ever have. I hold no MS shares, and I don't even follow their
    daily\weekly\quarterly news except as I might come across a story here or
    sometimes on www.msnbc.com.

    > He doesn't care what he writes, as long as

    .... it corrects the many cola liars who claim Linux "just works" and is
    reliable and stable.

    > his anti-Linux title keeps showing up in COLA.

    Q: Why would the truth sound anti-Linux?
    A: Because there really is an incredibly high number of problems with the
    crudware.

    > Please change change the title before responding, or you're doing his
    > work.

    Or just leave the Subject alone like you should and I won't have to correct
    your lying and make it show up yet again.

  5. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On 2008-04-29, peterwn wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving
    >> refunds."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

    > An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    > it is a general linux problem.

    Ubuntu is pushing things with this release. That's bound to
    break things. It will probably make some sense in the long run
    even if it is annoying now. Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel
    compelled to run this release.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  6. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-29, peterwn wrote:
    >> On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >>> "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate giving
    >>> refunds."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

    >> An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    >> it is a general linux problem.

    > Ubuntu is pushing things with this release. That's bound to
    > break things. It will probably make some sense in the long run
    > even if it is annoying now. Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel
    > compelled to run this release.

    Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. In
    reality it's a bug ridden dog that's breaking software left-and-right. But
    "Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel compelled to run this release" and they
    won't.

    Hardly Heron 8.04 - A gift to Microsoft from the linux community.

  7. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:18:19 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    >>> it is a general linux problem.

    >> Ubuntu is pushing things with this release. That's bound to
    >> break things. It will probably make some sense in the long run
    >> even if it is annoying now. Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel
    >> compelled to run this release.

    > Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    > distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. In
    > reality it's a bug ridden dog that's breaking software left-and-right. But
    > "Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel compelled to run this release" and they
    > won't.
    >
    > Hardly Heron 8.04 - A gift to Microsoft from the linux community.

    Hey Paul, why do you use Linux for for usenet access?

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  8. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On 2008-04-29, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    >>> it is a general linux problem.

    >> Ubuntu is pushing things with this release. That's bound to
    >> break things. It will probably make some sense in the long run
    >> even if it is annoying now. Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel
    >> compelled to run this release.

    > Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    > distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. In

    Ubuntu 7.10 already does this quite nicely.

    It even does the "Windows MCE" killer thing quite nicely too.

    > reality it's a bug ridden dog that's breaking software left-and-right. But
    > "Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel compelled to run this release" and they
    > won't.
    >
    > Hardly Heron 8.04 - A gift to Microsoft from the linux community.

    Tempest... teacup.

    [deletia]

    Like I said before. The current release of any Linux distro doesn't
    seek to make all of the previous releases obsolete. So you could still
    be running on 6.06 and it wouldn't really matter for most things.

    I am not even sure the MacOS equivalent would be a "must upgrade"
    sort of thing. This certainly isn't true in general (and mainly seems
    to be a Microsoft thing).

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    Asshole wrote:

    > Hey Paul, why do you use Linux for for usenet access?

    Why do you use Windows, ****head?

  10. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate
    >> giving refunds."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=61

    > An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    > it is a general linux problem.

    alleged? You calling the poster a liar?

    You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants - across all
    distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the wind blows.

    Linux reliable and stable? I think NOT.

  11. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    Ruben wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Hardly Heron 8.04 - A gift to Microsoft from the linux
    >> community. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    > Hey Paul, why do you use Linux for for usenet access?

    "Hardly" is hardly the word. He's just another troll that thinks
    all his gob****e will impress the world that Ubuntu and all of
    Linux is dorked. Think again. The trolls in this newsgroup are
    getting stupider every day.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  12. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Ruben wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hardly Heron 8.04 - A gift to Microsoft from the linux
    >>> community. ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> Hey Paul, why do you use Linux for for usenet access?

    > "Hardly" is hardly the word.

    'Hardly Ready' is what the disappointed Linux victims should be using to
    describe the latest in a long line of Linux duds.

    > He's just another troll that thinks
    > all his gob****e will impress the world that Ubuntu and all of
    > Linux is dorked. Think again. The trolls in this newsgroup are
    > getting stupider every day.

    With Rube spewing his dumb self all over cola these days, we have 12 levels
    to sink before we reach "advocate dumb."

  13. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-04-29, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Ubuntu is pushing things with this release. That's bound to
    >>> break things. It will probably make some sense in the long run
    >>> even if it is annoying now. Fortunately, NO ONE needs to feel
    >>> compelled to run this release.

    >> Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    >> distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. In

    > Ubuntu 7.10 already does this quite nicely.
    >
    > It even does the "Windows MCE" killer thing quite nicely too.

    Please define this word "quite". You mean its in beta and might work one day?

  14. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:50:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > peterwn wrote:
    >> On Apr 29, 2:48 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >>> "I'm not brave enough to install Gutsy for people because I hate
    >>> giving refunds."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=61

    >> An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    >> it is a general linux problem.

    > alleged? You calling the poster a liar?
    >
    > You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants - across
    > all distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the wind
    > blows.

    I had a similar problem with Vista. I wish I'd kept my receipt when I
    decided to get a Mac and had to sell my PC at a loss.

    Apple really should use free Vista upgrades as a sales tool. They'd
    double their sales overnight.

  15. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    "Nick Ballard" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:50:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> peterwn wrote:

    > t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=61
    >>>
    >>> An alleged problem with one version of one distro does not meamn that
    >>> it is a general linux problem.

    >> alleged? You calling the poster a liar?
    >>
    >> You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants - across
    >> all distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the wind
    >> blows.
    >>

    > I had a similar problem with Vista. I wish I'd kept my receipt when I
    > decided to get a Mac and had to sell my PC at a loss.

    What... are you seriously complaining that you had to sell your used
    computer at a loss? Did you expect to make a profit or something on your
    used computer?

    > Apple really should use free Vista upgrades as a sales tool. They'd
    > double their sales overnight.

    And here we have another wannabe who thinks he's a smarter businessman than
    Steve Jobs.

  16. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    Jump to content WorldWide-English
    HP.com Home Products and Services Support and Drivers Solutions How to Buy
    » Contact HP

    Search:

    Large Enterprise BusinessAll of HP
    HP.com Home
    Large Enterprise Business > Technologies > Open Source & Linux
    Linux certification and support matrix -
    HP Integrity servers
    »
    Large Enterprise Business

    » Products
    » Business & IT services
    » Solutions

    »
    Open source & Linux
    » Platforms & servers
    » Printers
    » Linux distributions
    » Indemnity
    » Security
    » Certification & support

    » Software portfolio
    » HP Open Source Middleware Stacks

    » Product literature
    » Services & education
    » Open source at HP
    » Partner programs

    View the demo
    HP Open Source Middleware Stacks
    Call 1-888-475-4689 or complete the contact request form
    Content starts here
    vendorIndicates the Integrity server has been rigorously tested and is fully supported by HP.

    Indicates the Integrity server listed has been rigorously tested, is fully supported by HP, and is certified by our Linux distribution partner.

    Get started
    » Contact HP

    HP recommends that our customers update to the latest errata and security releases from the Red Hat Network and/or from Novell's SUSE Linux Portal.

    » Linux on HP Integrity servers home page
    » Quickspec for Linux on Integrity

    Click on the server name for specific certification information. Support and certifications listed below do not necessarily apply to all updates of a Red Hat release or service packs of a SUSE release. If the product or version of Linux is not listed, please refer to the “Archive” tab.

    » Red Hat

    Novell SUSE

    » Asianux

    » Carrier-grade

    » Archive

    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES)
    Entry level servers SLES 10
    bl860c (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    bl860c (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    bl870c (dual core 9100 series) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx2660 (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx2660 (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx3600 (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx3600 (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx6600 (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx6600 (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    Mid-range servers SLES 10
    rx7640 (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx7640 (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    rx8640 (dual core) HP supported and partner certified
    rx8640 (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    High-end servers SLES 10
    Superdome (dual core) Partner certified and HP supported
    Superdome (dual core 9100 Series) Partner certified and HP supported
    SLES 10
    HP Integrity
    Virtual Machine Partner certified and HP supported

    Printable version

    Privacy statement Using this site means you accept its terms
    © 2008 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
    Live Chat
    No Thanks

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:39:01 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Nick Ballard" wrote in message

    >> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=61

    >>> alleged? You calling the poster a liar?
    >>>
    >>> You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants - across
    >>> all distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the wind
    >>> blows.
    >>>

    >> I had a similar problem with Vista. I wish I'd kept my receipt when I
    >> decided to get a Mac and had to sell my PC at a loss.

    > What... are you seriously complaining that you had to sell your used
    > computer at a loss? Did you expect to make a profit or something on your
    > used computer?
    >

    >> Apple really should use free Vista upgrades as a sales tool. They'd
    >> double their sales overnight.

    > And here we have another wannabe who thinks he's a smarter businessman than
    > Steve Jobs.

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  17. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop scores another pre-load partner — HP

    Posted by kchin under Desktop, Education, Gear, Press, Vendors, Windows

    There’s a trend developing if you haven’t noticed… small, lightweight, but functional laptops.

    * Asus Eee PC (read my impressions…)
    * Macbook Air
    * Lenovo X300
    * …others…

    …and now you can add a similar form-factor device from HP to the list - HP 2133 Mini-note PC. You can read the HP press-release here or review the entire HP press kit.

    But what’s really interesting to readers of this blog is that one of the operating system options is to have SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) pre-loaded and fully supported on the HP 2133 Mini-note for as little as $499. If you want to buy one with Windows Vista Home, it’s going to cost you $100 more. Did I mention that the SLED version includes a fully operational MS Office compatible office suite (OpenOffice.org Novell Edition) whereas the Vista version comes with a MS Office trial edition. Get ready to add another $200-$300 to the tab!

    It looks like you can buy them online here!

    Whoo-hoo!!

    HP joins the list of other (here and here) IHVs that pre-load SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED), so welcome fellas!
    Last 5 posts by kchin

    * Census of Open Source Software - April 22nd, 2008
    * rPath to OEM SUSE Linux Enterprise Server - April 22nd, 2008
    * Novell Announces SUSE Appliance Program - April 21st, 2008
    * Novell Reduces Cost of Ownership for Linux on IBM System z - April 21st, 2008
    * QLogic Ships Virtual HBA Technology for SLES - April 21st, 2008

    Popularity: 23% [?]

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:39:01 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Nick Ballard" wrote in message

    >> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=61

    >>> alleged? You calling the poster a liar?
    >>>
    >>> You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants - across
    >>> all distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the wind
    >>> blows.
    >>>

    >> I had a similar problem with Vista. I wish I'd kept my receipt when I
    >> decided to get a Mac and had to sell my PC at a loss.

    > What... are you seriously complaining that you had to sell your used
    > computer at a loss? Did you expect to make a profit or something on your
    > used computer?
    >

    >> Apple really should use free Vista upgrades as a sales tool. They'd
    >> double their sales overnight.

    > And here we have another wannabe who thinks he's a smarter businessman than
    > Steve Jobs.

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  18. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On 2008-04-30, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-29, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    >>> distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. In

    >> Ubuntu 7.10 already does this quite nicely.
    >>
    >> It even does the "Windows MCE" killer thing quite nicely too.
    >>

    > Please define this word "quite". You mean its in beta and might work one day?

    It does well enough to make Tivo look bad.

    It works better than MCE does now and isn't ever going to be
    burdened by DRM being embedded into the OS to satiate Microsoft's
    corporate overlords in Hollywood.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  19. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    >nym-shifting troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Translation - Ubuntu Hardly Heron 8.04 was supposed to be the Windows killer
    >> distro and was hyped as being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

    Translation - the nym-shifting troll is lying, as usual, because all
    of the above was pulled from his arse.

  20. Re: Linux: make sure you keep your receipt

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:39:01 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Nick Ballard" wrote in message

    >> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=61

    >>> alleged? You calling the poster a liar?
    >>>
    >>> You'd best speak to the thousands and thousands of complainants -
    >>> across all distros - whose crapware systems lock up and crash when the
    >>> wind blows.
    >>>

    >> I had a similar problem with Vista. I wish I'd kept my receipt when I
    >> decided to get a Mac and had to sell my PC at a loss.

    > What... are you seriously complaining that you had to sell your used
    > computer at a loss? Did you expect to make a profit or something on your
    > used computer?

    By no means would I expect to make a profit on a used PC. The problem
    was that I made the mistake of waiting in hopes that Vista would
    improve. If I had seen through Microsoft's marketing gimmicks and PR
    bull****, I would have returned the computer right away and only been hit
    with a 15% "restocking fee".

    >> Apple really should use free Vista upgrades as a sales tool. They'd
    >> double their sales overnight.

    > And here we have another wannabe who thinks he's a smarter businessman
    > than Steve Jobs.

    By no means; just pointing out that I'm probably not the only one who's
    had this type of experience with Vista. A quick Google will show this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast