Microsoft is busy spreading rumours to scare away people who consider moving to
Linux. Signs of own fear.

Ubuntu - Even my 8 year old can use it (And he does)

,----[ Quote ]
| My offices will be moving into a new space soon. One of the requirements is
| a couple of shared workstations for people who come from our remote offices
| to work. I am seriously thinking about making these two workstations Ubuntu
| 8.04. Of course there will be an Icon to connect to the Terminal Server..
| but hey, it’s a start..
`----

http://www.techyreview.com/?p=29

Thank You Ubuntu

http://mysqlbarbeque.blogspot.com/20...ou-ubuntu.html

Upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04

http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/2008/...buntu-804.html

Ubuntu 8.04 update without any issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the weekend I updated my Ubuntu machine from 7.10 to the brand new 8.04
| release. I waited a few days after the official release to see if I heard any
| reports of upgrade problems.
`----

http://opencomputer.net/2008/04/28/u...ut-any-issues/

Days ago:

Ubuntu 8.04 Is Ready to Take On Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I popped the Ubuntu CD into my running Vista box, opened the installer
| application, and directed the installer where to store Ubuntu and how much
| space to assign it. Shortly thereafter, the application prompted me to
| reboot, after which it completed the installation process. According to
| documentation on the Ubuntu Web site, there's a performance hit associated
| with this sort of install, but I didn't detect an appreciable slowdown. ¬* ¬*
|
| The Ubuntu desktop I'd installed within Windows seemed no different from the
| one I'd installed on its own hardware, and I was pleased to find that the
| files from my Windows instance were accessible from Ubuntu. ¬*
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-O...ke-On-Windows/

Hardy Heron Makes Linux Worth Another Look

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've flirted with the idea of switching your desktop operating system to
| Linux but never took the leap, the time is now. This week's release of Hardy
| Heron, an Ubuntu release that will be supported until 2011, offers a freer,
| more productive space for work and play than ever before. It's not easy
| jumping blind into a new way of thinking or working, and Ubuntu, the
| so-called "Linux for Humans" operating system, is no different. For all the
| online buzz that surrounds the increasingly popular distribution, millions of
| sane, regular people wonder why they'd ever give up their familiar Mac or PC
| to venture into something still relatively new. Today we're shining the
| spotlight on a few great tools and tweaks that make Heron a worthy switch. ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*
`----

http://lifehacker.com/383769/hardy-h...h-another-look

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp. ¬* ¬*
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year. ¬*
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Recent:

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft