Black Duck Buying Koders for Code Search

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 30,000 users visit each day, according to Black Duck. A
| free search engine there can tap some 766 million lines of open-source code
| written in more than 30 languages and associated with 28 software licenses,
| the company said. The search engine will remain free.

And another new partnership:

SnapLogic and WaveMaker Partner to Deliver Complete Open Source Enterprise
Mashup Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Today at the O'Reilly Web 2.0 Conference, SnapLogic, Inc., the Really Simple
| Integration company, and WaveMaker, a provider of open source tools for rapid
| Web application development, announced a strategic partnership to deliver a
| complete open source solution for creating enterprise mashups.

Economic slowdown could boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The economic slowdown in the US could boost demand for open source technology
| and services, analyst firm IDC has claimed.
| A recent survey by the company found that 60pc of American firms polled
| increased the percentage of their annual IT budget spent on open source
| technology in 2007.

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source.

The rise of the open-source billionaire

,----[ Quote ]
| For Google, the underlying open source is made to be almost incidental
| (though they and others like PayPal are quick to point out that they could
| not do what they do without open source). But I suspect we'll see projects
| like MySQL directly monetize and promote the value of the open source
| powering their service offerings. Â* Â*

Piper Jaffray Starts Red Hat (RHT) at Buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Piper Jaffray initiates coverage on Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) with a Buy rating and
| $26 price target, saying the company should benefit from global adoption of
| open source technologies.

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]