Linux: just stops working - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: just stops working - Linux ; Like a rented mule that hasn't been fed, Linux/OSS just stops responding: ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago." http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5 kernel developers just quit working: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Linux: just stops working

    Like a rented mule that hasn't been fed, Linux/OSS just stops responding:

    ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5

    kernel developers just quit working: "Then I quit forever."
    http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con...he_desktop.htm

    Samba just quits working: "Then some of this suddenly stopped working."

    Samba just quits working: "My computer just stopped sharing its folder
    (which had worked perfectly) one day"

    keyboard just quits working: "While entering data in Krecipes package
    keyboard quit inputing characters"
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6617_102...sageID=2615582

    keyboard just quits working: "..the keyboard would work for awhile and then
    just quit."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/..._this_notebook

    yum just quits working: "this has worked for about four months and today it
    has stopped working."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-119325.html

    network just quits working: "I noticed some times my network will just quit
    working and won't reconnect even if i plug it into a cable nothing works and
    I have to reboot."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/152456

    wireless just quits working: "Wireless connection just quits working.
    Windows will connect just fine."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lo...hp/t33604.html

    DNS just quits working: "...DNS has just quit working."

    printing just quits working: "...printnig would just quit working for all
    apps..."
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...underbird.html

    audio player just quits working: "... the Audio Player program just quit
    working one day and hasn't worked since."
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    PCMCIA card just quits working: "...one day, the connection simply quit
    working."..."The card works fine in win98se, and I have no problems
    connecting to our router, which is a USR8054."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26032

    graphics just quit working: "When the WU restarted the graphics window did
    not come back."
    http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468

    sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
    I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

    Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use it,
    it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell me
    some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html

    Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838

    User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."
    http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory

  2. Re: Linux: just stops working

    .... no, it doesn't.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Linux: just keeps working - the problem is 99% between thekeyboard and the seat

    On Apr 27, 10:53 pm, "DFS" wrote:

    Y'know, instead of posting other people's complaints, which you have
    obviously found the time to hunt round Google for, why not actually
    install Linux yourself, repeat these so-called problems on your own,
    then go moan at the developers instead of polluting this so-called
    advocacy group with your drivel? I mean, nothing prints to a printer
    after so long? Has the guy tried changing out the inks? That's step 1
    in troubleshooting printer issues, and I've seen this from so-called
    experts who can't figure out why their printer suddenly misses
    colours. How about printing the followups if you insist on this type
    of post? Or even posting back to the forums you've obviously spent so
    much time on with workable solutions?

  4. Re: Linux: just stops working

    "DFS" writes:

    > Like a rented mule that hasn't been fed, Linux/OSS just stops responding:
    >

    > ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    > reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5

    Hadron today : m4a files suddenly stopped playing in Amarok. No idea why.

  5. Re: Vista ME: just stops working

    Rick wrote:

    > ... no, it doesn't.

    Ahem.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Linux: just stops working

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:53:29 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Like a rented mule that hasn't been fed, Linux/OSS just stops
    > responding:
    >

    > ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    > reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....browse_thread/
    > thread/60c783924eb4f472/e578b83a1137b1f5?
    >hl=en&lnk=st&q=#e578b83a1137b1f5

    Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows and
    you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    complaints on thousands of forums.

    So what?

  7. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Joe User wrote:

    > Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows and
    > you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    > complaints on thousands of forums.

    Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.

    > So what?

    So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    Windows.

  8. Re: Linux: just stops working

    DFS wrote:
    > So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    > hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    > Windows.

    Never has for me
    (cue the ooo, look, another "works for me" argument)

  9. Re: Vista ME: just stops working

    Joe User wrote:

    > Is there some point to this? *Google for the same thing in Windows and
    > you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    > complaints on thousands of forums.
    >
    > So what?

    His point is to get the anti-Linux title displayed over and over and over.
    Change the title when replying to WinTrolls, otherwise your doing their
    work for them. They don't care what's in the body of the message.

    Tell a lie long enough and people begin to believe it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  10. Re: Vista ME: just stops working

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Never has for me
    > (cue the ooo, look, another "works for me" argument)

    Ahem.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: Linux: just stops working

    DFS wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >
    >> Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows and
    >> you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    >> complaints on thousands of forums.

    > Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.
    >

    >> So what?

    > So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    > hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    > Windows.

    Only on unpredictable and unstable hardware. In fact, Linux will run on crap
    hardware, where Window will hopelessly fail and miserably too...

    In stead of posting anecdotal evidence as fact, why aren't you posting
    findings that YOU have experienced? Oh, sorry... you're a windwoes
    weeney... I forgot.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  12. Re: Linux: just stops working

    In article ,
    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > In stead of posting anecdotal evidence as fact, why aren't you posting
    > findings that YOU have experienced? Oh, sorry... you're a windwoes
    > weeney... I forgot.

    Interesting that you don't raise this issue when people post about
    Windows problems they have not personally experienced. Nice double
    standard.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: Linux: just stops working

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:46:40 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> In stead of posting anecdotal evidence as fact, why aren't you posting
    >> findings that YOU have experienced? Oh, sorry... you're a windwoes
    >> weeney... I forgot.

    > Interesting that you don't raise this issue when people post about
    > Windows problems they have not personally experienced. Nice double
    > standard.

    This is message 97 since april 1

    Chah Chik

    Insidently, we've noticed an increase in hacking attempt on our servers
    since we've started to bring heat on you for your abuses on this usenet
    group.

    I'm just forwarning you that legal action will be taken if you daage the
    NYLXS systes in any way. Since I've already been tipped off on who your
    employer is, they should also know that they are on the hook and our
    lawyers are working on this as we speak.

    Just in case anyone believes that these hired trolls on harmless
    pranksters or a inor anoyance, you should be aware that this is actually
    veiwed as a high stakes game by Microsoft and their third party affiliates
    and frankly, there is not much that they wouldn't do to prevent the
    disclosure of their efforts to destroy this as a valid communications
    edium for GNU and Linux advocacy.

    My lawyers are recommending that a listing of known paid trolling handles
    be accumulated and anyone with such infomration should post it on this
    service, and that all further communiques should be ended with these
    trolls until the legal affairs department of NYLXS can determine the
    nature and exact locations of the attacks related to this usenet group.

    I'll be talking wiith the NYLXS board until then. Never the less, all
    efforts should be made to not engage the suspected and known trolls
    on this board since they are suspected of illegal actions which put users
    at risk.

    Ruben
    ___________
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Interesting Stuff http://www.nylxs.com -
    Leadership Development in Free Software

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  14. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Quoting Andrew Halliwell who, on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 02:07:25 +0100, posted:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    >> hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    >> Windows.

    > Never has for me
    > (cue the ooo, look, another "works for me" argument)

    My distros don't lock up either, 32bit or 64bit.
    (Cue Quack & Flatfarce saying "another me too post")

    As for "unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. Lock ups,
    hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working" you should hear what my
    other-half has to say about the problems she has to deal with, with eX-Pee
    & Fista! "Clustere****" is one of the more polite descriptions!

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  15. Re: Linux: just stops working

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:02:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >
    >> Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows and
    >> you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    >> complaints on thousands of forums.

    > Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.

    I already did. I googled Windows just stopped working and got over 3
    million hits. The first page was filled with exactly the sort of things
    you posted about Linux.

    Anybody with any sense at all would have expected exactly that. Of
    *course* people have problems with Windows, Linux, Macs, IBM mainframes,
    and anything else more complicated than a horseshoe.

    Again I say, so what?

    >> So what?

    > So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    > hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    > Windows.

    Not in my experience, which is considerable. Compared to Linux, Windows
    is a toy. A toy with a wobbly wheel and a missing spring. But it's
    always painted with bright colors, if that makes you feel any better.

  16. Re: Linux: just stops working

    RonB wrote:

    > Change the title when replying to WinTrolls,

    That's what weak-minded Linux welfare givers and Linux welfare recipients do
    when they can't deny the facts.

    > otherwise your doing their work for them. They don't
    > care what's in the body of the message.

    You're thinking of Spamowitz.

    > Tell a lie long enough and people begin to believe it.

    Only you are the liar, WRonG.

  17. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Ruben wrote:

    > Insidently,

    insidently = incidentally

    > we've noticed an increase in hacking attempt on our servers

    Nothing to worry about - Linux is secure (period). Isn't it? We've been
    told so many times.

    > since we've started to bring heat on you for
    > your abuses on this usenet group.

    Tim Smith does offer up some good abuse - to practically everyone; he's very
    pedantic and likes to catch you making hypocritical posts.

    As for real abuse, Spamowitz and several other "advocates" are by far the
    biggest abusers of cola. They use this newsgroup to just spew and spew
    anti-MS lies and libel that have no relation whatever to Linux.

    > I'm just forwarning

    forwarning = forewarning

    You need some spelling lessons, fella.

    > you that legal action will be taken if you daage the
    > NYLXS systes in any way. Since I've already been tipped off on who
    > your
    > employer is, they should also know that they are on the hook and our
    > lawyers are working on this as we speak.

    pro-bono shysters, eh? We're all very scared.

    > Just in case anyone believes that these hired trolls on harmless
    > pranksters or a inor anoyance, you should be aware that this is
    > actually
    > veiwed as a high stakes game by Microsoft and their third party
    > affiliates

    How would a paranoid weirdo and outsider like you know anything about how MS
    views cola? This is nearly as bad as lying, psycho "advocate" Rex Ballard
    claiming to know all kinds of specific terms and conditions of MS-OEM
    contracts.

    > and frankly, there is not much that they wouldn't do to prevent the
    > disclosure of their efforts to destroy this as a valid communications
    > edium for GNU and Linux advocacy.

    Let us know when cola becomes a Linux advocacy group. Since its inception,
    it's been used as a place for anti-MS Linux weenies to vent their ignorance
    and irrational hatred of MS. You windbags also use the entirety of the
    Internet to post your anti-MS stupidity. Everywhere you find a website
    article about MS doing something even mildly controversial, you find Linux
    assholes slinging their petulant viciousness in the comments.

    > My lawyers are recommending that a listing of known paid trolling
    > handles be accumulated

    'Spamowitz' should be your entire list.

    > and anyone with such infomration should post it on this
    > service, and that all further communiques should be ended with these
    > trolls

    But then cola becomes an ass-kissing-fest of "me too" posts, and even the
    "advocates" can't stand too much of that.

    > until the legal affairs department of NYLXS can determine the
    > nature and exact locations of the attacks related to this usenet
    > group.

    Can't speak for anyone else, but the nature of my posts? Hard to say: they
    run the gamut from argumentative to flame bait to Linux advocacy on the rare
    occasion.

    They originate from my home office in Lawrenceville, GA, a smallish
    hick-town NE of Atlanta.

    > I'll be talking wiith the NYLXS board until then.

    Do you guys meet in the street and feed the pigeons while setting NYLXS
    "strategy"?

    http://www.nylxs.com/images/dmitry_01.jpg

    > Never the less, all
    > efforts should be made to not engage the suspected and known trolls
    > on this board since they are suspected of illegal actions which put
    > users at risk.

    You may have a point: it probably should be illegal to troll around cola
    pretending to "advocate" a sorry system like Linux/OSS when you actually
    make a living with Windows.

    You go get 'em Ruben!

  18. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > In stead of posting anecdotal evidence as fact, why aren't you posting
    > findings that YOU have experienced?

    I've done that many times. In most cases, I was called a liar or stupid or
    told 'it works for me'.

    > Oh, sorry... you're a windwoes weeney... I forgot.

    Next time use kcron to set a reminder.

  19. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks
    >> up, hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher
    >> rate than Windows.

    > Never has for me
    > (cue the ooo, look, another "works for me" argument)

    Of course it (or some apps) has. You're lying, Andrew.

  20. Re: Linux: just stops working

    Joe User wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:02:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows
    >>> and you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped
    >>> working" complaints on thousands of forums.

    >> Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.

    > I already did. I googled Windows just stopped working and got over 3
    > million hits.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 251,000 for Linux just quit working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,180,000 for Linux just stopped working.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 220,000 for Linux suddenly quit working.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,740,000 for Linux simply quit working.
    Total 3,391,000

    Results 1 - 10 of about 534,000 for Windows just quit working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,110,000 for Windows just stopped working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 499,000 for Windows suddenly quit working.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 236,000 for Windows simply quit working
    Total 3,379,000

    Unbelievable. With an installed base approx 1/90th of Windows, Linux
    generates more complaints about its refusal to do its job.

    > The first page was filled with exactly the sort of things you posted about
    > Linux.

    No kidding?

    > Anybody with any sense at all would have expected exactly that. Of
    > *course* people have problems with Windows, Linux, Macs, IBM
    > mainframes, and anything else more complicated than a horseshoe.

    So Linux doesn't "just work"? I'm getting confused now.

    >> So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks
    >> up, hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher
    >> rate than Windows.

    > Not in my experience, which is considerable.

    The considerable experiences of many more people than you are very
    different.

    Hourly reboots: "...it varies in its frequency, rebooting about once an hour
    roughly but can be just a few
    minutes..." #41 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=5

    > Compared to Linux, Windows is a toy.

    "I get random system freezes, but found it was because of my network cable.
    Whenever it came loose and lost its connection the system would crash."
    #530 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=53

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast