Linux: just stops working - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: just stops working - Linux ; On 2008-04-28, DFS wrote: > Joe User wrote: >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:02:58 -0400, DFS wrote: >> >>> Joe User wrote: >>> >>>> Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows >>>> and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Linux: just stops working

    On 2008-04-28, DFS wrote:
    > Joe User wrote:

    >>> Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.

    >> I already did. I googled Windows just stopped working and got over 3
    >> million hits.

    ....you realize of course that with your own trolling you are
    spiking these numbers yourself. What a clueless moron you are.

    I hope you aren't responsible for any real research.

    [deletia]

    There's lies, damned lies, statistics and then stupid trolls...

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  2. Re: Linux: just stops working

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:27:08 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-04-28, DFS wrote:
    >> Joe User wrote:

    >>> I already did. I googled Windows just stopped working and got over 3
    >>> million hits.

    > ...you realize of course that with your own trolling you are spiking
    > these numbers yourself. What a clueless moron you are.

    no u.

  3. Re: Linux: just stops working

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:38:02 -0400
    :
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there some point to this? Google for the same thing in Windows and
    >>> you'll find a hundred times as many "Windows just stopped working"
    >>> complaints on thousands of forums.

    >> Nope. I'll let you prove it to yourself.
    >>

    >>> So what?

    >> So Linux is unpredictable, unstable, and unprofessional. It locks up,
    >> hangs, freezes and suddenly quits working at a far, far higher rate than
    >> Windows.

    > Only on unpredictable and unstable hardware. In fact,
    > Linux will run on crap hardware, where Window will hopelessly
    > fail and miserably too...

    Define "crap hardware" in this context. Sure, Linux runs
    very well on reliable but ancient hardware such as 386's,
    486's, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and Pentium III,
    as well as a lot of modern hardware (much of it non-Intel),
    but even the best OS cannot hope to compensate for an
    underpowered machine (in the power supply sense) or with
    hardware that has such things as defective memory, bad blocks,
    kinked cabling, dirty contacts, etc. etc.

    The first is "old hardware". The last I'd call "crap",
    though it might be salvageable by replacing the defective
    components or cleaning things.

    The middle one I'd call "underpowered", though that has
    ambiguity; I just can't think of a better name, though, for
    that particular situation.

    There used to be a FAQ entry in GCC about kernel builds,
    in fact -- briefly, if there's a randomly occurring
    segmentation violation while one's compiling Linux, one
    has to suspect that the power supply needs more oomph.

    > In stead of posting anecdotal evidence as fact, why aren't you posting
    > findings that YOU have experienced? Oh, sorry... you're a windwoes
    > weeney... I forgot.

    I suspect the complaints are legitimate enough. I for one would
    have to research each and every one of them to be certain.

    One sore point I have with Linux is the sound subsystem; it
    keeps mutating. This is not something unique to Linux, though;
    I have some *very* old games that no longer function on
    non-Soundblaster hardware.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2