Difference between Linux and Windows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Difference between Linux and Windows? - Linux ; Windows is a kid's system driven by adults. Linux is an adult's system driven by kids. Alexandre Oberlin http://www.migo.info/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    Alexandre Oberlin
    http://www.migo.info/

  2. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

    > Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    > Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >

    > Alexandre Oberlin
    > http://www.migo.info/

    Linux is all up front while Windopws is all driven from behind.
    With windowps, you dare not bend down in case it causes a stampede

  3. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

    > Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    > Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >

    > Alexandre Oberlin
    > http://www.migo.info/

    Actually there is already a much better description around.

    Windows was made to be sold.
    Linux was made to be used.

    Ian

  4. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    ____/ Ian Hilliard on Monday 28 April 2008 02:17 : \____

    > Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >>

    >> Alexandre Oberlin
    >> http://www.migo.info/

    > Actually there is already a much better description around.
    >
    > Windows was made to be sold.

    "Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether the idea will move
    the industry forward, they ask, 'how will it help us sell more copies of
    Windows?'"

    -- Bill Gates

    > Linux was made to be used.

    Linux just works.
    Windows just... just, works.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    Tasks: 114 total, 1 running, 113 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    * Alexandre Oberlin peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    > Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >
    > Alexandre Oberlin
    > http://www.migo.info/

    Nonsense.

    --
    I believe that if you show people the problems and you show them the
    solutions they will be moved to act.

  6. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:35:49 +0200, Alexandre Oberlin
    wrote:

    >Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.

    Not usable by kids?
    >Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    Usable by adults and kids?

    windoze users can't seem to make up their mind. Probably fried by bad
    drugs and vista.

    >Alexandre Oberlin
    >http://www.migo.info/

    Roy Strachan - Registered Linux User 469226

  7. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Alexandre Oberlin wrote:

    > Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    > Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    Wrong.

    Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.

    Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    C.

  8. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:40:35 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >
    > Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    > capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    > use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    > make Linux the only sensible choice in business.
    >
    > C.

    Which totally and completely explains why Linux, despite being free has
    about 0.6 percent of the desktop market and Microsoft has about 90 percent
    despite being expensive.

    It must really suck to advocate something that people don't seem to want
    even for free.

    Cue rick and kier with their "herd mentality" theory...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.

    Please define serious use. It out numbers Linux is just about very
    single business arena in the world. This type of bull**** gives your
    statements no credence.

    > Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a
    > perfectly

    Does it still? I hope so, but last I heard IIS was catching up.

    > capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    > use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    > make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    And yet more than 90% of them opt for Windows. You need to stop talking
    bull**** and getting your highly skilled programming mind to work in
    improving Linux. Maybe you could join Jim's team?

    --
    <|ryan|> I don't use deb
    u poor man

  10. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >
    > Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    > capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    > use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    > make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    not serious use?

    It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:40:35 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >
    > Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    > capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    > use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    > make Linux the only sensible choice in business.
    >
    > C.

    Regarding "Windows is broken by design, & unsuitable for serious use."
    Many years ago I saw a reply to a M$ windows zealot, by a professional IT
    guy. I asked permission if I could keep the reply, & use it. He emailed me that
    it was ok. IMO, it's as relevant today, as it was back then. I reproduce
    it below:-

    -------------------------------
    The world you inhabit is remarkably different than the one I inhabit.

    I live in the professional world, where below-amateur-grade software
    like the products of the Microsoft Corporation are viewed as a joke --
    and a bad one at that -- completely unsuitable for use by anyone who
    is actually serious about high-quality computing and networking.

    I live in the Internet world. It's based on open standards and open
    software, with things like peer review and consensus playing important
    roles -- and things like FUD and embrace-and-extinguish recognized
    as selfish and destructive.

    I live in the anti-spam world, where people do not directly support
    spam by knowingly buying the goods and services sold by spammers.

    But aside from all that: why we have such very different world views:

    It's all a matter of experience and perspective: there are a LOT of people
    around now who accept things like "there are viruses that propagate via
    SMTP" as normal. It never occurs to them to take a step back and ask
    "IS this normal?"...because if they did, the answer would be "hell no,
    it's not normal, and we shouldn't accept it as normal".

    And *that*, more than anything else, is the damage that Microsoft
    has done to the Internet: it has conditioned an enormous number of
    people to accept things-as-they-are not just as the status quo (which,
    by definition, it IS) but as inevitable, unavoidable, and unchangeable.

    People like you. And you, and you, and you. [consider it directed
    at "you" if appropriate]

    And as a result, today, despite some very clever things (firewalls,
    IDSs, and so on) the Internet is far less secure and stable as a
    whole than it was 5 or 10 or 15 years ago.

    And since the less secure the Internet is, the more opportunity
    there is for abusers of all types (including of course spammers). And so
    the spam problem will continue to get steadily worse until people stop
    accepting the status quo - until they stop accepting the very worst
    available applications and operating systems as "what everyone uses"
    and moreover "what everyone should use" and "what everyone must use".

    Many people don't want to face this. They want to keep slapping bandaids
    on the problem - bandaids like SPF and anti-virus software and DNSBLs and
    port 25 blocking and anti-adware software and domainkeys and proxypots
    and Bayesian classifiers and challenge-response and whitelists and
    a hundred other things. They seem to be blissfully unaware that we
    have ALREADY been slapping bandaids on the problem for over a decade and
    all that we have to show for it are a lot more places that are bleeding.

    Profusely.

    Yet they seem very, very determined to do everything possible to keep
    inventing and using more bandaids rather than taking a deep breath,
    gathering themselves, and doing the one thing that would help more
    than everything else combined.

    It really is quite fascinating to watch. Frustrating, but fascinating.
    ( Some clinical psychology student could probably wrangle a PhD thesis
    out of the mass exercise in avoidance that's going on. )

    So, a prediction: spam will persist as long as Microsoft persists.
    It flourishes in the environment of insecurity that Microsoft
    provides like bacteria flourishes in a Petri dish full of agar.

    You can ridicule this all you like. It doesn't matter: I've heard it
    ALL before. Heard it 20+ years ago when those of us who were early
    adopters and promoters of wacky stuff like Berkeley Unix and this
    nutty "IP" thing were told it would never amount to anything, was
    just the crazed dream of a bunch of hippie hackers with no clue
    about the real world.

    Riiiiiiiiight.

    Oddly enough, none of the people who were so adamant at the time
    seem to have resurfaced long enough to admit that they were just
    about as wrong as it's possible to be.

    But they've been replaced with a similar crowd: they're busy
    now telling all the Linux folks the same kinds of things. Oh, this
    new crowd is just as short-sighted, ignorant, and foolish, but
    there's no point in telling them so.
    (See, I did learn something all those years ago.)

    So -- if you like -- tuck this note away and pull it out in, oh,
    2014 or 2019.

    See if you still want to ridicule it then. If you do, I shouldn't
    be too hard to find. (And if I'm dead? Please feel free to do so
    anyway; I'll be long past caring, and besides, if I'm that wildly
    wrong, I *should* be ridiculed, dead or alive. So be my guest.)
    ---------------------------------------

    Note he said "tuck this note away and pull it out in, oh,
    2014 or 2019". Well it's not 2014, but it's about 8-9 years since he
    posted that, & a new bunch of wintrolls are "now telling all the Linux
    folks the same kinds of things" they were back then...."Linux won't last",
    "it's not ready"....etc.
    Well Linux is still here, & *more* are using it. The wintrolls had better
    adapt, or get used to their shrinking world.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  12. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:47:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>
    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    > What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    > systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    > not serious use?
    >
    > It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    > widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    Open Source and Linux from HP
    Primed for Business
    »
    Large Enterprise Business

    » Products
    » Business & IT services
    » Solutions

    »
    Open source & Linux
    » Platforms & servers
    » Printers
    » Linux distributions
    » Indemnity
    » Security
    » Certification & support

    » Software portfolio
    » HP Open Source Middleware Stacks

    » Product literature
    » Services & education
    » Open source at HP
    » Partner programs

    View the demo
    HP Open Source Middleware Stacks
    Call 1-888-475-4689 or complete the contact request form
    Content starts here

    Linux indemnification for HP customers

    HP is committed to the success of its enterprise customers and to driving Linux into the enterprise. Since 2003, qualified customers have obtained indemnification from HP against legal action from SCO. HP continues to extend this offer to protect and empower you to deploy Linux and open source technology in production with less risk and distraction.

    Please read the eligibility requirements.

    After completing the short registration form, you will receive a confirmation that your request has been processed. HP will then contact you with further details of the indemnity offer and its requirements.

    » eligibility requirements
    » FAQ (pdf)
    » customer registration

    Got a big project?
    » Contact HP

    eligibility requirements

    In order to qualify for HP's indemnification offer, customers must:

    * purchase a Linux distribution directly from HP or purchase HP copies of a Linux distribution (i.e. HP part number) from an HP authorized reseller
    * run the Linux operating system solely on HP hardware
    * not use or modify the source code
    * purchase standard or premium service contracts for Linux support from HP
    * execute the HP Linux indemnity agreement

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  13. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:47:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>
    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    > What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    > systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    > not serious use?
    >
    > It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    > widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    Large Enterprise Business > Technologies > Open Source & Linux
    Linux certification and support matrix -
    HP desktops

    » Return to original page

    Content starts here

    vendor certified Indicates that HP has partnered with the Linux provider to complete the certification. HP does not sell bundled hardware including or offer HP support of this Linux distribution. Customers can purchase the Linux distribution and obtain support for the certified platform from our Linux partner.

    Get started
    » Contact HP

    HP recommends that our customers update to the latest errata and security releases from the Red Hat Network and/or from Novell's SUSE Linux Portal.

    Click on the client name for specific model information. Support and certifications listed below do not necessarily apply to all updates of a Red Hat release or service packs of a SUSE release. If the product or version of Linux is not listed, please refer to the “Archive” tab.”

    Red Hat

    » Novell SUSE

    » Turbolinux

    » Mandriva

    » Archive

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
    Workstation (WS) and Desktop (DT)
    HP Compaq Desktops RHEL 5 RHEL 4 WS/DT RHEL 3 WS RHEL 3
    d290 microtower (India only) vendor certified
    dc5100 small form factor vendor certified
    dc5100 microtower vendor certified
    dc5700 microtower
    dc5700 small form factor
    dc5750 microtower vendor certified
    dc5750 small form factor vendor certified
    dc7600 convertible minitower vendor certified
    dc7600 small form factor vendor certified
    dc7600 ultra-slim desktop vendor certified
    dc7700 convertible minitower
    dc7700 small form factor
    dc7700 ultra-slim desktop
    dc7800 convertible minitower vendor certified
    dx2100 microtower
    dx2200 microtower
    dx2250 microtower
    dx2300 microtower
    dx5150 small form factor vendor certified
    dx5150 microtower vendor certified
    dx6100 microtower vendor certified
    dx7400 microtower vendor certified
    dx7400 small form factor vendor certified

    » Return to original page

    © Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  14. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    > You can ridicule this all you like. It doesn't matter: I've heard it
    > ALL before. Heard it 20+ years ago when those of us who were early
    > adopters and promoters of wacky stuff like Berkeley Unix and this
    > nutty "IP" thing were told it would never amount to anything, was
    > just the crazed dream of a bunch of hippie hackers with no clue
    > about the real world.
    >
    > Riiiiiiiiight.
    >
    > Oddly enough, none of the people who were so adamant at the time
    > seem to have resurfaced long enough to admit that they were just
    > about as wrong as it's possible to be.

    I remember Novell's attempt to use IPX to replace TCP...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25

  15. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:31:48 -0400, Ruben wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:47:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>>
    >>> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >>> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >>> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >>> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    >> What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    >> systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    >> not serious use?
    >>
    >> It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    >> widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    > Large Enterprise Business > Technologies > Open Source & Linux
    > Linux certification and support matrix -
    > HP desktops

    It's amusing how the windoze apologists have no clue how little windoze is
    used in factories, except on office desktops.
    When I was in BAe, the only factory control systems it was used for was
    manufacture & distribution of batch or piece-part goods, customer &
    purchase order processing on desktops. Works orders, stock & inventory
    control, capacity & distribution, costing and time & attendance
    all done on desktops using windows. It was also used for management of the
    shop floor personnel & staff.

    For running machine tools in real time, windows was too *slow*. They used
    FANUC, Siemens or Fagor control systems.

    Industrial control systems were run by SCADA.

    For running flight simulators in real time, (& we're not talking games
    here) the reaction time is too *slow*.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  16. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    > In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>
    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    > What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    > systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    > not serious use?
    >
    > It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    > widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    How many people is that, Tim?

    --
    The first rule of any technology used in a business is that automation
    applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency. The second is

  17. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On 2008-04-30, Hadron wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter writes:
    >
    >> Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >>> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>

    > Please define serious use. It out numbers Linux is just about very

    Production RDBMS.

    > single business arena in the world. This type of bull**** gives your
    > statements no credence.

    No it doesnt. This type of bull**** gives your statements no
    credence.

    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a
    >> perfectly

    > Does it still? I hope so, but last I heard IIS was catching up.
    >
    >> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    > And yet more than 90% of them opt for Windows. You need to stop talking
    > bull**** and getting your highly skilled programming mind to work in

    His claims are by no means "bull****".

    For serious use, Unix in general still rules the roost. If they aren't
    using that then they are more likely using mainframes and AS/400 systems
    that refuse to be done in by the "Unix killer".

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  18. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:47:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <%DTRj.67541$_h7.11533@newsfe05.ams2>,
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>
    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and security
    >> make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    > What about all those Windows systems running things like factory control
    > systems, oil tanker navigation systems, medical systems, etc.? That's
    > not serious use?
    >
    > It's amusing how many people here have no clue whatsoever just how
    > widespread Windows is beyond the desktop.

    It truly is.

    If Windows had as many problems as the loons in COLA seem to think it does,
    the entire earth would have stopped a long time ago.
    I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, there is, but Windows is
    used all over the place and for all types of applications.

    Watch Discovery Channel and pay close attention and you will see Windows
    running all the time on systems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults. Linux is an
    >>> adult's system driven by kids.

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for
    >> serious use.
    >>
    >> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is
    >> a perfectly capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally
    >> suited for serious business use. The price differential,
    >> productivity increase, stability and security make Linux the
    >> only sensible choice in business.

    > Regarding "Windows is broken by design, & unsuitable for
    > serious use." Many years ago I saw a reply to a M$ windows
    > zealot, by a professional IT guy. I asked permission if I
    > could keep the reply, & use it. He emailed me that it was ok.
    > IMO, it's as relevant today, as it was back then. I reproduce
    > it below:-
    >
    > ------------------------------- The world you inhabit is
    > remarkably different than the one I inhabit.
    >
    > I live in the professional world, where below-amateur-grade
    > software like the products of the Microsoft Corporation are
    > viewed as a joke -- and a bad one at that -- completely
    > unsuitable for use by anyone who is actually serious about
    > high-quality computing and networking.

    Amen!

    > I live in the Internet world. It's based on open standards and
    > open software, with things like peer review and consensus
    > playing important roles -- and things like FUD and
    > embrace-and-extinguish recognized as selfish and destructive.

    How many remember the Michael Fagan Method of Inspection? :-)

    > Many people don't want to face this. They want to keep
    > slapping bandaids on the problem - bandaids like SPF and
    > anti-virus software and DNSBLs and port 25 blocking and
    > anti-adware software and domainkeys and proxypots and Bayesian
    > classifiers and challenge-response and whitelists and a
    > hundred other things. They seem to be blissfully unaware that
    > we have ALREADY been slapping bandaids on the problem for over
    > a decade and all that we have to show for it are a lot more
    > places that are bleeding.
    >
    > Profusely.
    >
    > Yet they seem very, very determined to do everything possible
    > to keep inventing and using more bandaids rather than taking a
    > deep breath, gathering themselves, and doing the one thing
    > that would help more than everything else combined.

    Sounds a lot like the arguments presented forth by Hadron, DFS,
    Erik, cc, TeraNews multi-nymshifter, Ezekiel, Moshe, etc.

    They keep spouting stupid things like the superiority of
    Microsoft products over Unix and Linux, the fallacy that the
    Linux user interfaces still need a lot of work, when I observed
    10 years ago, KDE 1.0 and Gnome 1.0 were vasty superior to
    anything Microsoft had to offer.

    Recently I got to experience Office 2007. What a surprise.
    First, I found the "Fisher Price" user interface abhorent. Big
    icons reminiscent of "viewing files as a web page", having Excel
    crash on me for open a Office 2003 legacy file, bad fonts in
    Outlook, etc. My first impression was, "Who wants to use this
    slopware?"

    > It really is quite fascinating to watch. Frustrating, but
    > fascinating. ( Some clinical psychology student could probably
    > wrangle a PhD thesis out of the mass exercise in avoidance
    > that's going on. )

    I think that thesis is already called the "Boycott Novell"
    website. :-)

    > Note he said "tuck this note away and pull it out in, oh, 2014
    > or 2019". Well it's not 2014, but it's about 8-9 years since
    > he posted that, & a new bunch of wintrolls are "now telling
    > all the Linux folks the same kinds of things" they were back
    > then...."Linux won't last", "it's not ready"....etc. Well
    > Linux is still here, & *more* are using it. The wintrolls had
    > better adapt, or get used to their shrinking world.

    I am glad you brought this bit of goodly perspective to light.
    Linux has already gained a foothold in the market, no amount of
    gob****e they post in this or other newsgroups is going to change
    the fact that Linux is succeeding, and succeeding very well.

    It ia a changing world. With gasoline in US already at the $4
    mark and climbing, people are looking for ways to economise.
    Linux and Open Source software are the solution.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  20. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:31:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:

    >>> Wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Windows is simply broken by design, and is unsuitable for serious use.
    >>>
    >>> Linux runs the vast majority of the world's web servers, is a perfectly
    >>> capable desktop or laptop OS and is ideally suited for serious business
    >>> use. The price differential, productivity increase, stability and
    >>> security make Linux the only sensible choice in business.

    >> Regarding "Windows is broken by design, & unsuitable for serious use."
    >> Many years ago I saw a reply to a M$ windows zealot, by a professional
    >> IT guy. I asked permission if I could keep the reply, & use it. He
    >> emailed me that it was ok. IMO, it's as relevant today, as it was back
    >> then. I reproduce it below:-
    >>
    >> -------------------------------
    >> The world you inhabit is remarkably
    >> different than the one I inhabit.
    >>
    >> I live in the professional world, where below-amateur-grade software
    >> like the products of the Microsoft Corporation are viewed as a joke --
    >> and a bad one at that -- completely unsuitable for use by anyone who is
    >> actually serious about high-quality computing and networking.

    > Amen!
    >
    >> I live in the Internet world. It's based on open standards and open
    >> software, with things like peer review and consensus playing important
    >> roles -- and things like FUD and embrace-and-extinguish recognized as
    >> selfish and destructive.

    > How many remember the Michael Fagan Method of Inspection? :-)
    >
    >> Many people don't want to face this. They want to keep slapping bandaids
    >> on the problem - bandaids like SPF and anti-virus software and DNSBLs
    >> and port 25 blocking and anti-adware software and domainkeys and
    >> proxypots and Bayesian classifiers and challenge-response and whitelists
    >> and a hundred other things. They seem to be blissfully unaware that we
    >> have ALREADY been slapping bandaids on the problem for over a decade and
    >> all that we have to show for it are a lot more places that are bleeding.
    >>
    >> Profusely.
    >>
    >> Yet they seem very, very determined to do everything possible to keep
    >> inventing and using more bandaids rather than taking a deep breath,
    >> gathering themselves, and doing the one thing that would help more than
    >> everything else combined.

    > Sounds a lot like the arguments presented forth by Hadron, DFS, Erik, cc,
    > TeraNews multi-nymshifter, Ezekiel, Moshe, etc.

    Yes, it does. "Windows zealots".

    > They keep spouting stupid things like the superiority of Microsoft
    > products over Unix and Linux, the fallacy that the Linux user interfaces
    > still need a lot of work, when I observed 10 years ago, KDE 1.0 and Gnome
    > 1.0 were vasty superior to anything Microsoft had to offer.

    When I started using SuSE Linux back then, I found it was like a breath of
    fresh air. No need to worry about licences, no need to worry about
    viruses, & most of all it *didn't* crash. I soon found myself using it
    more & more, & eventually found I did not *need* windoze. I wiped the
    win98 partition & have never looked back. On a couple of occasions since
    then, (when I stayed at a relation's house) I used their windows 2000
    machine. I have to say, I felt insecure & uneasy about using the net. I
    later found Linux Live-CDs so whenever I visit now, I can use their
    machine, but with my own Live-CD. Much better!

    > Recently I got to experience Office 2007. What a surprise. First, I found
    > the "Fisher Price" user interface abhorent. Big icons reminiscent of
    > "viewing files as a web page", having Excel crash on me for open a Office
    > 2003 legacy file, bad fonts in Outlook, etc. My first impression was,
    > "Who wants to use this slopware?"

    Sounds like "Fisher Price" alright, but I believe you mentioned some of
    the users above? Hadron, DFS, Erik, cc, TeraNews multi-nymshifter, Ezekiel
    "Flatfish" Moshe, & so on. They seem happy with Gatesware.

    >> It really is quite fascinating to watch. Frustrating, but fascinating. (
    >> Some clinical psychology student could probably wrangle a PhD thesis out
    >> of the mass exercise in avoidance that's going on. )

    > I think that thesis is already called the "Boycott Novell" website. :-)

    Yes. :-)

    >> Note he said "tuck this note away and pull it out in, oh, 2014 or 2019".
    >> Well it's not 2014, but it's about 8-9 years since he posted that, & a
    >> new bunch of wintrolls are "now telling all the Linux folks the same
    >> kinds of things" they were back then...."Linux won't last", "it's not
    >> ready"....etc. Well Linux is still here, & *more* are using it. The
    >> wintrolls had better adapt, or get used to their shrinking world.

    > I am glad you brought this bit of goodly perspective to light. Linux has
    > already gained a foothold in the market, no amount of gob****e they post
    > in this or other newsgroups is going to change the fact that Linux is
    > succeeding, and succeeding very well.
    >
    > It is a changing world. With gasoline in US already at the $4 mark and
    > climbing, people are looking for ways to economise. Linux and Open
    > Source software are the solution.

    Even higher here, now reached £5 a gallon ($9.85) which is *mostly*
    government tax FFS. So I would think that Linux & OSS are going to be the
    solution for a lot of companies looking to cut overheads here.