Difference between Linux and Windows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Difference between Linux and Windows? - Linux ; William Poaster had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 01-05-08 16:48: > > When I started using SuSE Linux back then, I found it was like a breath of > fresh air. No need to worry about licences, no need to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    William Poaster had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 01-05-08 16:48:

    > When I started using SuSE Linux back then, I found it was like a breath of
    > fresh air. No need to worry about licences, no need to worry about
    > viruses, & most of all it *didn't* crash. I soon found myself using it
    > more & more, & eventually found I did not *need* windoze. I wiped the
    > win98 partition & have never looked back. On a couple of occasions since
    > then, (when I stayed at a relation's house) I used their windows 2000
    > machine. I have to say, I felt insecure & uneasy about using the net. I
    > later found Linux Live-CDs so whenever I visit now, I can use their
    > machine, but with my own Live-CD. Much better!

    Same for me, except that for me Mandriva Linux is the distribution of
    choice. It was quite anexperience for me that I did not need to scan my
    hard disk every friday night for viruses and spyware, did not have to
    worry when paying my bills via internet, did no longer experience the
    slow degradation of the OS, needed no longer to read newsgroups about
    security and the newest threats.

    Whatever people like DFS, Moshe Goldfarb, Ezekiel and others say, Linux
    has become an excellent desktop system. I believe their childish
    bickering, ad-hominem arguments, sexual insults and scouring newsgroups
    to find problems with Linux distro's shows their desperation.

    Greetings,

    Erik Jan.

  2. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:22:33 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:

    > Whatever people like DFS, Moshe Goldfarb, Ezekiel and others say, Linux
    > has become an excellent desktop system. I believe their childish
    > bickering, ad-hominem arguments, sexual insults and scouring newsgroups
    > to find problems with Linux distro's shows their desperation.
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Erik Jan.

    Better tell that story to Redhat who just announced that they are
    abandoning the Linux desktop because there is no demand for it.

    Hey, maybe you and William "filters" Poaster can convince Redhat to
    reconsider?

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...e=rss_topic122

    http://tinyurl.com/62md5w

    ""The desktop market suffers from having one dominant vendor, and some
    people still perceive that today's Linux desktops simply don't provide a
    practical alternative."

    Hahaha!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Moshe Goldfarb had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 01-05-08 17:28:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:22:33 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:
    >

    >> Whatever people like DFS, Moshe Goldfarb, Ezekiel and others say, Linux
    >> has become an excellent desktop system. I believe their childish
    >> bickering, ad-hominem arguments, sexual insults and scouring newsgroups
    >> to find problems with Linux distro's shows their desperation.
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Erik Jan.

    > Better tell that story to Redhat who just announced that they are
    > abandoning the Linux desktop because there is no demand for it.

    Dear Moshe,

    I did not say there is demand for the linux desktop; I said that the
    desktop, at least with Mandriva, has become an excellent desktop. Your
    remark is not relevant.

    Greetings,

    Erik Jan.

  4. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

  5. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    * Erik Jan peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I did not say there is demand for the linux desktop; I said that the
    > desktop, at least with Mandriva, has become an excellent desktop. Your
    > remark is not relevant.

    Besides, having once abandoned the desktop before, for servers, why
    should we be surprised when RedHat abandons it "again".

    --
    I wish I wasn't ... There's nothing good that comes out of that. You get more
    visibility as a result of it.

  6. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:46:29 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 01-05-08 17:28:
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:22:33 +0200, Erik Jan wrote:
    >>

    >>> Whatever people like DFS, Moshe Goldfarb, Ezekiel and others say, Linux
    >>> has become an excellent desktop system. I believe their childish
    >>> bickering, ad-hominem arguments, sexual insults and scouring newsgroups
    >>> to find problems with Linux distro's shows their desperation.
    >>>
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> Erik Jan.

    >> Better tell that story to Redhat who just announced that they are
    >> abandoning the Linux desktop because there is no demand for it.
    >>

    > Dear Moshe,
    >
    > I did not say there is demand for the linux desktop; I said that the
    > desktop, at least with Mandriva, has become an excellent desktop. Your
    > remark is not relevant.
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Erik Jan.

    There is no demand because Linux for and average user on the desktop sucks.
    Redhat knows this and has decided, wisely, to pull the plug on it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:48:37 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > Yes, it does. "Windows zealots".

    He's not a zeolot, he's just a nameless hired gun, like one of those
    Mexicans in a Clint Eastwood movie. Why let a nameless extra become the
    focus of the movie. Just pan past them while they evilily snicker and
    move on to the real action.

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  9. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    "Alexandre Oberlin" wrote in message
    > Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    > Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >

    > Alexandre Oberlin
    > http://www.migo.info/

    Windows is full of productive killer applications for serious professional
    use.
    Linux has no productive killer application for serious professional use.

    Windows is for people who want to get on with earning a living.
    Linux is for people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS.

  10. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On 2008-05-07, Guest wrote:

    > "Alexandre Oberlin" wrote in message
    >> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >>

    >> Alexandre Oberlin
    >> http://www.migo.info/
    >>

    > Windows is full of productive killer applications for serious professional
    > use.

    ....like what?

    > Linux has no productive killer application for serious professional use.

    That is rather debateable.

    Infact, the apps that Linux does have are far more serious than the
    desktop toys you're probably fixating on.

    > Windows is for people who want to get on with earning a living.
    > Linux is for people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS.

    Oddly enough, the bulk of the consumer market falls into this
    latter category. A lot of the business market could be described
    this way too.

    Even most business users don't need Cubase, AutoCAD or Photoshop.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  11. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    Guest wrote:

    [blah]

    PLONK
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."Ummm, trouble with grammar have I? Yes!" --Yoda

    Good to the last supper

  12. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-07, Guest wrote:
    >>

    >> "Alexandre Oberlin" wrote in message
    >>> Windows is a kid's system driven by adults.
    >>> Linux is an adult's system driven by kids.
    >>>

    >>> Alexandre Oberlin
    >>> http://www.migo.info/
    >>>

    >> Windows is full of productive killer applications for serious
    >> professional
    >> use.

    > ...like what?
    >
    >> Linux has no productive killer application for serious professional use.

    > That is rather debateable.

    You would have to be more specific. I am sure you will want to go on about
    the motion picture companies using Linux for FX or such, but I think that is
    just a hold-over from using Unix for the same thing. They once used Unix
    and/or VMS for CAD/CAM/CAE, too, but now those things are Windows based to a
    great degree.

    > Infact, the apps that Linux does have are far more serious than the
    > desktop toys you're probably fixating on.

    Windows is used for the day-to-day common functions that people perform in
    commercial settings. They could probably use Linux and some OSS apps for
    the same thing. They could use Windows and OSS apps too. Is there anything
    that has any significant use on Linux that is not also available for
    Windows? I think there are a lot of OSS projects that are Windows only and
    do not work at all on Linux.

    >> Windows is for people who want to get on with earning a living.
    >> Linux is for people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS.

    > Oddly enough, the bulk of the consumer market falls into this
    > latter category. A lot of the business market could be described
    > this way too.

    You believe that a lot of the business market and the bulk of the consumer
    market are people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS? That is
    not a conventional belief.

    > Even most business users don't need Cubase, AutoCAD or Photoshop.

    No, but those who do that kind of thing for a living do need them. Most
    everyone in the commercial arena only needs the MS Office programs such as
    Outlook for mail and daily planning, SharePoint for document management,
    etc.. There are a lot of administrative apps originally built on databases
    using VB originally and more recently .NET. A Windows computer is as
    ubiquitous today on the business desk as paper and pencils once were.

  13. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    * Tattoo Vampire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Guest wrote:
    >
    > [blah]
    >
    > PLONK

    Yeah, he was an obvious nutter.

    > Owner/Proprietor, Cheesus Crust Pizza Company
    > Good to the last supper

    Egregious Jesus, you're a sick man!

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  14. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    On 2008-05-08, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-07, Guest wrote:
    >>>

    >>> "Alexandre Oberlin" wrote in message

    >>> Windows is full of productive killer applications for serious
    >>> professional
    >>> use.

    >> ...like what?
    >>
    >>> Linux has no productive killer application for serious professional use.

    >> That is rather debateable.

    > You would have to be more specific. I am sure you will want to go on about
    > the motion picture companies using Linux for FX or such, but I think that is
    > just a hold-over from using Unix for the same thing. They once used Unix
    > and/or VMS for CAD/CAM/CAE, too, but now those things are Windows based to a
    > great degree.
    >>
    >> Infact, the apps that Linux does have are far more serious than the
    >> desktop toys you're probably fixating on.

    > Windows is used for the day-to-day common functions that people perform in
    > commercial settings. They could probably use Linux and some OSS apps for
    > the same thing. They could use Windows and OSS apps too. Is there anything
    > that has any significant use on Linux that is not also available for
    > Windows? I think there are a lot of OSS projects that are Windows only and

    That's not the question.

    So long as Linux has Lotus123 and WordPerfect then it has the "killer apps".
    The fact that these allegedly "killer apps" are innovations from the age of
    the dinosaurs and have been propagated to every other computing platform in
    existence really doesn't matter.

    > do not work at all on Linux.
    >>

    >>> Windows is for people who want to get on with earning a living.
    >>> Linux is for people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS.

    >> Oddly enough, the bulk of the consumer market falls into this
    >> latter category. A lot of the business market could be described
    >> this way too.

    > You believe that a lot of the business market and the bulk of the consumer
    > market are people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS? That is
    > not a conventional belief.

    Of course this false strawman of yours is not a "conventional belief".
    It's based on a clueless sort of self-serving FUD that doesn't bear any
    resemblance to either the technology under discussion or the end users
    under discussion.

    >> Even most business users don't need Cubase, AutoCAD or Photoshop.
    >>

    > No, but those who do that kind of thing for a living do need them. Most

    ....and they are a shrinking portion of the userbase. I would be surprised
    if any shill here has ever used them or even knows anyone that has ever
    used them.

    > everyone in the commercial arena only needs the MS Office programs such as
    > Outlook for mail and daily planning, SharePoint for document management,
    > etc.. There are a lot of administrative apps originally built on databases
    > using VB originally and more recently .NET. A Windows computer is as
    > ubiquitous today on the business desk as paper and pencils once were.

    Ubuiqutious and for the most part completely generic.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  15. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-05-08, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> ...like what?

    >>> That is rather debateable.

    >> You would have to be more specific. I am sure you will want to go on about
    >> the motion picture companies using Linux for FX or such, but I think that is
    >> just a hold-over from using Unix for the same thing. They once used Unix
    >> and/or VMS for CAD/CAM/CAE, too, but now those things are Windows based to a
    >> great degree.
    >>>
    >>> Infact, the apps that Linux does have are far more serious than the
    >>> desktop toys you're probably fixating on.

    >> Windows is used for the day-to-day common functions that people perform in
    >> commercial settings. They could probably use Linux and some OSS apps for
    >> the same thing. They could use Windows and OSS apps too. Is there anything
    >> that has any significant use on Linux that is not also available for
    >> Windows? I think there are a lot of OSS projects that are Windows only and

    > That's not the question.
    >
    > So long as Linux has Lotus123 and WordPerfect then it has the "killer
    > apps".

    Holy cow. You believe this?

  16. Re: Difference between Linux and Windows?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > So long as Linux has Lotus123 and WordPerfect then it has the "killer
    > apps".

    I think you misspelled "killed".

    >> You believe that a lot of the business market and the bulk of the
    >> consumer
    >> market are people who like fawning over and tinkering with an OS? That
    >> is
    >> not a conventional belief.

    > Of course this false strawman of yours is not a "conventional belief".
    > It's based on a clueless sort of self-serving FUD that doesn't bear any
    > resemblance to either the technology under discussion or the end users
    > under discussion.

    So you do believe that you and most others hold this belief? Surely you are
    more aware of your surroundings than you profess!

    >>> Even most business users don't need Cubase, AutoCAD or Photoshop.
    >>>

    >> No, but those who do that kind of thing for a living do need them. Most

    > ...and they are a shrinking portion of the userbase. I would be surprised
    > if any shill here has ever used them or even knows anyone that has ever
    > used them.

    A lot of people, including myself, use Photoshop. I have used AutoCAD on
    occasion as well. I haven't a clue as to what Cubase is about.

    >> everyone in the commercial arena only needs the MS Office programs such
    >> as
    >> Outlook for mail and daily planning, SharePoint for document management,
    >> etc.. There are a lot of administrative apps originally built on
    >> databases
    >> using VB originally and more recently .NET. A Windows computer is as
    >> ubiquitous today on the business desk as paper and pencils once were.

    > Ubuiqutious and for the most part completely generic.

    Well over 90% of the market for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2