This is interoperability? - Linux

This is a discussion on This is interoperability? - Linux ; On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:28:02 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote: >> More people have disagreed with me on the net and in usenet then I can >> can't and for longer then your life span. > > Wow, presumptive, aren't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: This is interoperability?

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:28:02 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >> More people have disagreed with me on the net and in usenet then I can
    >> can't and for longer then your life span.

    > Wow, presumptive, aren't you? Considering i've been on usenet for more
    > than 20 years myself, i find that hard to believe.

    How much do you get paid for being on this feed? And which company pays
    you?

    Ruben

    >> It's the paid trolls on this group which is posing particular

    targets
    >> for embarseement and fun.

    > *THERE ARE NO PAID TROLLS* in this newsgroup. It makes no sense. COLA
    > is a cesspool where only closed minded people frequent, anyone paying
    > someone would do far better to pay them to post to newsgroups were they
    > might make some headway.
    >
    > Anyone that thinks COLA holds any kind of value, is pretty self-absorbed.

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  2. Re: This is interoperability?

    [snips]

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:20:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >> She says she'd buy it. Why? She had /no/ answer. None at all.

    >> ***She's never even touched OpenOffice, so she wasn't making her
    >> decision by any rational process that I could determine. **

    > Probably just human instinct to avoid crap.

    Since she has never used OOo, she has no idea whether it is crap or not.

    I do wish you, DFS and your ilk would simply grow up.

  3. Re: This is interoperability?

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:20:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>> She says she'd buy it. Why? She had /no/ answer. None at all.

    >>> ***She's never even touched OpenOffice, so she wasn't making her
    >>> decision by any rational process that I could determine. **

    >> Probably just human instinct to avoid crap.

    >Since she has never used OOo, she has no idea whether it is crap or not.
    >
    >I do wish you, DFS and your ilk would simply grow up.

    It must be quite fun, for some, to play the fool.

    --
    "Are you serious? You see 0.3 to 0.6 as a serious threat to a company
    who has more than 90% of the market as a threat?

    FFS. Get real." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  4. Re: This is interoperability?

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > >> That is, putting off something that could not be implemented
    > >> satisfactorily while a decent solution is in progress and being
    > >> systematically and thoughtfully readied for standardization. Something
    > >> reminiscent of C++ standardization.

    > > Spreadsheets could not be implemented satisfactorily in 2006!? Really?

    > Why Tim, I'm /surprised/ at you! Making so obvious a misquote.
    >
    > > Spreadsheets could not be implemented satisfactorily ...

    > We're talking about formula interoperability, son. Not spreadsheets.
    >
    > You need to tighten up your thought processes a bit.

    If you don't have formulas, it is a stretch to call it a spreadsheet,
    since all you have is a table of static data.

    > > Can you give a couple examples of multiple and overly-complex
    > > representations of the same formula in OOXML, and show how ODF 1.2
    > > handles them?

    > Start here:
    >
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...cal_white_pape

    OK, I started there. Now what?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: This is interoperability?

    chrisv wrote:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >>> Probably just human instinct to avoid crap.

    >>Since she has never used OOo, she has no idea whether it is crap or not.
    >>
    >>I do wish you, DFS and your ilk would simply grow up.

    > It must be quite fun, for some, to play the fool.

    Trouble is, ezekiel isn't playing.

  6. Re: This is interoperability?

    * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >>>Since she has never used OOo, she has no idea whether it is crap or not.
    >>>
    >>>I do wish you, DFS and your ilk would simply grow up.

    >> It must be quite fun, for some, to play the fool.

    > Trouble is, ezekiel isn't playing.

    Sure he is! Just not with a full deck.

    --
    Gary Kildall was one of the original pioneers of the PC revolution. He was a
    very creative computer scientist who did excellent work. Although we were

  7. Re: This is interoperability?

    >> > Spreadsheets could not be implemented satisfactorily in 2006!? Really?

    >> Why Tim, I'm /surprised/ at you! Making so obvious a misquote.
    >>
    >> > Spreadsheets could not be implemented satisfactorily ...

    >> We're talking about formula interoperability, son. Not spreadsheets.
    >>
    >> You need to tighten up your thought processes a bit.

    > If you don't have formulas,...

    Who said that?

    > it is a stretch to call it a spreadsheet,
    > since all you have is a table of static data.
    >>
    >> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...al_white_paper

    > OK, I started there. Now what?

    You're really slipping, Tim. I'm putting it down to you being busy
    doing some work, though.

    --
    "Microsoft has had competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document this stuff."

  8. Re: This is interoperability?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:22:05 -0400
    :
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:25:04 +0200, OK wrote:

    >> applications.aspx>
    >>>>

    >>> No need for interop, nobody uses that crap Microsoft Office has 100% of
    >>> the market.

    >> That crap Microsoft Office does not have 100% of the "market".

    > You can't trust anything OK say, that is manifest.

    I'll admit to wondering. Of course "MS Office" is a bit of
    a catchall bundle concept anyway, combining Word, Excel,
    Powerpoint, and maybe Exchange.

    > Funny story. I see a Microsoft 2007 Student/Home Office edition on
    > sale. A price break on the normal $140 price. I ask my wife, who
    > would buy this product when there a perfectly good alternative for it
    > that you can get for free.
    >
    > She says she'd buy it. Why? She had /no/ answer. None at all.
    > She's never even touched OpenOffice, so she wasn't making her decision
    > by any rational process that I could determine.

    There is a somewhat rational process -- most likely she
    trusts the devil she knows (namely, Microsoft), rather
    than the angel she doesn't (an unnamed group of Linux
    aficionados/programmers/users/etc., although one might
    also throw in Canonical Ltd., Novell, Red Hat, Debian,
    and of course OpenOffice.org and Gentoo). Ignorance,
    fortunately, is curable, though in this case the best cure
    I can think of would involve the installation of Linux
    on the hardware in question (presumably, the family box),
    which is doable (assuming sufficient space on one's hard
    drive and a tool such as ntfsresize or Partition Magic).

    Or one can install OO on Windows -- which I'd liken to
    installing fancy bodywork on a go-kart, but a number of
    people might have to use that option, and OO *does* work
    thereon.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2