Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work." - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work." - Linux ; # 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Linux and then trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I ...

  1. Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work."

    # 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm
    "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Linux and then
    trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I
    have to spend hours trying to configure files that should work
    automatically. To be fair to Fedora however, it's the only distribution so
    far that has picked up my wireless adapter right away without any
    configuration. The other distro's would find it but it wouldn't work."

    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

  2. Re: Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work."

    DFS had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 27-04-08 06:44:
    > # 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm
    > "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Linux and then
    > trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I
    > have to spend hours trying to configure files that should work
    > automatically. To be fair to Fedora however, it's the only distribution so
    > far that has picked up my wireless adapter right away without any
    > configuration. The other distro's would find it but it wouldn't work."
    >

    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    Dear mr. DFS,

    You are much like Roy Schestowitz: you are able to filter from the
    enormous reservoir of websites that is the internet just those sites
    that complain about a distribution that does not work om some hardware
    combination. Then you imply that this is normal. Roy on the other hand
    filters websites that tell some news about Linux or about the war that
    is waged between operating system vendors/builders. I must confess that
    Roy's posts are much more readable than yours.

    You could try to filter out the sites that tell about what people like
    in Linux and that the installations succeeded for a change. Perhaps we
    would not filter your boring posts out in this case.

    For your information:

    I use Mandriva Linux and are very happy with this ditribution and
    support Mandriva financially to express my gratitude. There are issues,
    of course. There always are. Operating systems are very complex.

    I was a Microsoft OS user from 1986 until 2004. In that year the
    inherent insecurity of Windows XP became very obvious when I lost 600
    euros because of some spying malware on my machine in spite of all my
    precautions. I had to do a clean reinstallation of Windows, which takes
    about two day until everything is restored to its former situation. I
    did not like to do my banking via internet in Windows anymore. The war
    against malware is lost by Windows. I tried MandrakeLinux. It worked out
    of the box, and it is secure. So I did my financial matters via the
    Mandrake installation. After about two years I went over to Mandriva and
    do not miss Windows. I know there are some hardware issues, but I also
    know that the help of the Mandriva community -- they are always polite,
    by the way -- and the exceptional hardware support in Linux will always
    provide a solution.

    Linux advocacy or for that matter Windows advocacy is not helped by
    juvenile bickering, name calling, sexual innuendo/insults, spamming,
    ad-hominem arguments and the like. It is a pity that this newsgroup is
    full of these. I am glad that at least some people here come with
    arguments or news about the Linux world and the competition between
    Linux and Windows.

    Erik Jan

  3. Re: Windows: "half the s**t doesn't work."

    On Apr 27, 5:44 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > # 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm
    > "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Vista and then
    > trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I
    > have to spend hours trying to find applications to make the system halfway usable
    > automatically. To be fair to Vista however, it's the only distribution so
    > far that has picked up my Winmodem right away without any
    > configuration. The other distro's would find it but it wouldn't work."

    Corrected some typo's for you.

  4. Re: Vista ME: "half the s**t doesn't work."

    Erik Jan wrote:

    > DFS had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 27-04-08 21:56:
    >

    >> It IS normal. *I'm 100% sure that you and every Linux user has
    >> experienced various locking up / glitches with one or all Linux distros.

    > See, you don' know, it is just another apriori.

    DuFuS is full of crap. He repeats the same bull**** over and over
    again. "Rewind and respew" is his motto. Kill file the WinTroll and, if you
    can't help answering his messages, change the title of the thread -- that's
    the main reason lying WinTrolls, like DuFuS, post the same crap over and
    over again -- so that COLA is full of negative "headlines" about Linux. By
    responding you ensure that these negative "headlines" will continue to show
    up whenever anyone comes to the newsgroup.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

+ Reply to Thread