Skype's new packages show VOIP becoming commodity

,----[ Quote ]
| Cheap telephony isn't Skype's only problem. Both Blood and Ostergaard view
| Skype's proprietary environment as a problem. It runs the risk of being
| overtaken by more open networks, according to Ostergaard.
|
| If Skype wants to survive it needs to adapt and open up, according to Blood.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...81;fp;4;fpid;2

Another proprietary technology coming to Linux.

Futuremark releases SPMark for Windows Mobile and Linux phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Already available for Symbian devices, the SPMark benchmarking app gives an
| easy-to-understand SPMark system score which is fully comparable with that of
| other phones and between different Operating Systems. SPMark for WinMobile
| and Linux includes 3D gaming and theoretical tests for 3D performance
| evaluation, system tests for WinMobile and Linux applications and
| customizable test runs which include a battery test option.
|
| [...]
|
| As stated by Futuremark, SPMark binary licenses are now available for, well,
| licensing.
`----

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=19398&catid=3

"Licensing". Sounds like patent-trollish.

Recent:

Skype 2.0 for Linux Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Skype 2.0 for Linux was released yesterday, and brings one of the most
| awaited features by its users: video calls.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skype...ed-80896.shtml

So here it is: video.

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we’re proud to announce the general release of video calls in Skype 2.0
| for Linux. As you may already know, the best things in life are often free
| and now you can make (and receive) free, great quality video calls on Linux. *
`----

http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2...eing_is_b.html

Skype for Linux 2.0 - with Video support

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/1...video-support/