Microsoft bias in MSN search results, surprise

,----[ Quote ]
| I was looking to see what search sites might have a particular bug that I
| (ahem) came across and was trying the search for the number 0 in various
| places. There is a pretty good Wikipedia page about zero. Zero has a rich and
| interesting history and there are many other potentially reasonable results.
`----

http://www.skrenta.com/2008/04/micro..._search_r.html

Many similar reports about anti-ODF and anti-Linux.

Recent:

Microsoft Live Search Says Admits They Were Too Tough on Sites: Making
Algorithm Less "Strict"

,----[ Quote ]
| So as you can see, Microsoft admits their Live Search September 2007 update
| caused many sites to get deindexed from Live Search. Â*
`----

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/016272.html

Related:

Is Microsoft tinkering with Live Search results?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Microsoft filtering out from its Live Search results those it
| considers “undesirable” for the company?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1127

Microsoft funding bankrupt Live Search experiment with porn spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear reader, please tell me: what do you think of a search engine that steals
| (bandwidth and AdSense revenue), lies, spams away, and is not clever enough
| to stop their criminal activities when they’re caught? Â*
|
| Recently a Live Search rep whined in an interview because so many robots.txt
| files out there block their crawler...
`----

http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/micr...search-engine/

Microsoft’s Club Live fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| People were using the macro on more than 3 games at a time, on more than 2
| accounts at a time, why Microsoft didn’t pick up on the fact that in the
| first few days some people had accumulated enough for 3 Zunes each is beyond
| us. Some were lucky, others, not so much. Â*
|
| [...]
|
| So far no one has been banned from using their accounts, which they needed to
| sign up, probably because they did not break any laws, or probably because
| Microsoft didn’t want that hassle and liked their new found traffic. Â*
`----

http://www.blogthe.net/2007/07/16/mi...b-live-fiasco/

Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog post, Compete analyst Steve Willis attributed Microsoft's
| search gains to prizes awarded to users participating in Live Search
| Club, which features games that post queries to Microsoft's search
| engine.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft is essentially being DDoSed by thousands of people hundreds
| of times per minute, but they are mistaking this rise in traffic for
| people actually using Live Search."
`----

Google U.S. January Search Share Steady At 66%

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (MSFT) had 6.9% share in January, down from 7.04% in December, and
| 10.35% a year ago.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

Another Microsoft manager jumps from the Live Search ship

,----[ Quote ]
| Mike Nichols, Group Program Manager for Live Search, has resigned and is
| moving to work for Yusuf Mehdi, Senior Vice President of Strategic
| Partnerships. Â*
|
| [...]
|
| What to make of all the recent resignations and reshufflings among the
| various Microsoft business units? Well, it is reorg season in Redmond. But on
| the Live Search side of the house, it’s got to be tough to keep banging your
| head against the wall and making little or no headway in growing your market
| share…. Â* Â*
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1115

Danny Thorpe quits the Windows Live development team

,----[ Quote ]
| Danny Thorpe, one of the higher-profile hires Microsoft made to its Windows
| Live team, has decided to leave for greener pastures.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=806

Yet another Microsoft search exec calls it quits

,----[ Quote ]
| In March, Blake Irving, the Corporate VP in charge of the Windows
| Live platform, announced his plans to leave Microsoft, effective
| this summer. Payne announced his resignation from Microsoft shortly
| after Irving made his announcement.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=407

at least no chairs were thrown…

,----[ Quote ]
| A friend of mine was walked out of Microsoft today.
|
| I’m not talking about Stuart Scott, the now former Microsoft CIO who was
| canned for “violating company policies.” No, another friend decided to leave
| the MSN Live Search team and join Google Kirkland. Â*
`----

http://selberg.org/2007/11/06/at-lea...s-were-thrown/

Another Microsoft Search reorg: Shum now leads engineering

,----[ Quote ]
| That same month, Windows Live Platform VP Blake Irving resigned, as did Chris
| Payne. the Corporate Vice President in charge of Windows Live Search.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=927

Former Microsoft Search Chief Bill Bliss On Early Search Missteps

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill's biggest regret? Not bypassing middle management that wasn't
| listening to him scream about the coming threat of Google and going
| right up to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
`----

http://searchengineland.com/070309-094930.php

Microsoft Search Leader To Leave Company

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Corp. vice president who led the company's push into
| Internet search is leaving the software giant as the effort he
| helped launch loses ground against lead competitor Google Inc.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/preview_login....s%26ru%3Dyahoo
http://tinyurl.com/2jran7

Microsoft Windows Live VP to resign