ditch Google Desktop Search .. - Linux

This is a discussion on ditch Google Desktop Search .. - Linux ; "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people have suggested that I remove it" "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given ...

  1. ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
    my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
    have suggested that I remove it"

    "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
    search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
    provide the same facilities for XP"

    http://snipurl.com/25l3a

  2. Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    * Doug Mentohl peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
    > my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
    > have suggested that I remove it"
    >
    > "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
    > search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
    > provide the same facilities for XP"
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/25l3a

    All these programs need a few hours to do the initial indexing of
    your hard drive.

    --
    Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain in a
    James Bond movie.

  3. Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    On Apr 24, 3:51 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
    > my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
    > have suggested that I remove it"
    >
    > "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
    > search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
    > provide the same facilities for XP"
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/25l3a

    Desktop search, ah, yes! Another example of Microsoft "innovation"!

  4. Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Thursday 24 April 2008 12:48 : \____

    > On Apr 24, 3:51 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
    >> my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
    >> have suggested that I remove it"
    >>
    >> "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
    >> search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
    >> provide the same facilities for XP"
    >>
    >> http://snipurl.com/25l3a

    > Desktop search, ah, yes! Another example of Microsoft "innovation"!

    As a refresher, Microsoft indexes no matter what (under Vista), so it eats up
    resources for its own benefit no matter what you choice is (like IE as a must
    in Windows). Also see:

    Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
    | up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
    | repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
    | against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
    | rejection of a complaint by Google.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
    | antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
    | prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
    | Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
    | behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
    | operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
    | search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
    `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/bu...hp&oref=slogin

    It was quite a case of corruption at the time.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
    Tasks: 114 total, 2 running, 112 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > "I'm running Windows XP and have been using Google Desktop to search
    > my PC .. However, I have experienced some problems and our IT people
    > have suggested that I remove it"
    >
    > "I loved Google Desktop Search, but have also given up on it .. the
    > search built into Vista is very good, and Microsoft is trying to
    > provide the same facilities for XP"
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/25l3a

    We don't use Vista here at work, still XP. A few people here tried Google
    Desktop search a couple of years back but the IT folk banned it. There was
    too much concern about the software 'phoning home' to Google and privacy and
    security became issues. Reports like this.

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?n.../10/15/1840215

    ----> "Users of the Google Desktop Search software beware -- it indexes your
    files across all users on your PC, bypassing user protections. The Google
    cache feature allows all users to browse the contents of messages and files
    it has indexed, irrespective of who is logged in. 'This is not a bug, rather
    a feature,' says Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer Web products.
    'Google Desktop Search is not intended to be used on computers that are
    shared with more than one person.'"

  6. Re: ditch Google Desktop Search ..

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > As a refresher, Microsoft indexes no matter what (under Vista), so it eats up resources for its own benefit no matter what you choice is (like IE as a must in Windows). Also see:

    It sounds like a huge overhead. Why not have such functionality build
    into the base File System. Something like the BeOS File System where the
    metadata could be stored in the file attributes for fast indexing,
    retrieval etc ..

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02...ues_microsoft/

+ Reply to Thread